Thu, Jan. 8, 11:01 AM
- Uniqlo (OTCPK:FRCOY) reports revenue rose 23% to ¥389B ($3.25B) in FQ1.
- Operating profit rate +230 bps to 19.1%, with gains spread across all three segments (Uniqlo Japan, Uniqlo International, Global Brands).
- The company has a stated goal of maintaining +20% top-line growth through 2020 as it becomes a bigger force in new regions with its lightning-fast ability to bring on-trend products to market.
- Retail analyst Rahul Sharma points out that the strong numbers from the fast-fashion firm pose a threat in the apparel sector.
- Previously: Fast-fashion ace Uniqlo looks to disrupt U.S. market (Sep. 18 2014)
- Related stocks: OTCPK:HMRZF, OTCPK:IDEXY, GPS, URBN, ANF, AEO, ARO, EXPR, PSUN, ZUMZ.
Thu, Jan. 8, 7:02 AM
Tue, Jan. 6, 11:29 AM
- Specialty retail is set up to see a strong year, according to Jefferies analyst Randal Konik.
- The sector enters the year in a better position than in 2014 with inventory clean and the macroeconomic backdrop looking supportive.
- Comp sales will lag a string of weak quarters and lower cotton prices will filter down to the bottom lines of the group, says Konik.
- Specialty retailers (partial list): EXPR, ZUMZ, PSUN, ARO, AEO, ANF, CACH, CHS, NWY, BEBE, ANN, CBK, GPS, GES, PIR, BBBY, TCS, LE, VRA.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXD, FDIS, PMR, RCD
Dec. 18, 2014, 7:01 AM
- Apparel prices fell 1.1% in the U.S. during November, according to yesterday's CPI report.
- The drop followed a 0.2% slide in apparel prices for October.
- Retail analysts note that a higher mix of e-commerce sales and the lingering promotional haze threaten margin expansion in the sector, despite overall tighter inventory control.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, RL, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, KORS, UA, GIII, SQBG, HBI, SKX, FL, VRA, ICON, NKE, WWW, DECK, CROX, SHOO, BWS, PERY, DXLG, SHLD, BONT, GPS, GES, URBN.
Dec. 4, 2014, 10:31 AM
- Shares of Destination Maternity (DEST -7.8%) slide after the company misses earnings estimates.
- A frank assessment from the company on a misfire with its assortment to millennial-aged moms-to-be strikes a bit of a chord across the apparel and department store sector.
- Many of the earnings hits and misses this quarter have been tied to on-trend or off-trend assortments. A millennial group which is hard to nail down is becoming a bigger part of that puzzle.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, RL, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, KORS, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, RL, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, KORS, UA, GIII, SQBG, HBI, SKX, FL, VRA, ICON, NKE, WWW, DECK, CROX, SHOO, BWS, PERY, DXLG, SHLD, BONT, GPS, GES, URBN, TJX.
Dec. 3, 2014, 5:36 PM
- With shares down 49% YTD going into earnings, Pacific Sunwear's (NASDAQ:PSUN) FQ3 beat is going over well. As is the fact comparable store sales rose 4% Y/Y, after rising only 0.3% in FQ2.
- FQ4 guidance is for revenue of $218M-$227M and EPS of -$0.12 to -$0.17 vs. a consensus of $221.7M and -$0.12. Comparable sales are expected to be flat to up 4%.
- Gross margin rose 150 bps Y/Y in FQ3 to 26.7%. SG&A spend rose 9% to $58M. PSUN ended the quarter with $12.3M in cash, and $88.5M in long-term debt. Store count fell by 15 Y/Y to 620.
- FQ3 results, PR
Dec. 3, 2014, 4:02 PM
Dec. 2, 2014, 5:35 PM
Dec. 1, 2014, 7:50 AM
- Comscore estimates e-commerce spending rose 32% on Thanksgiving Day to $1.01B and 26% on Black Friday to $1.51B.
- Most retail analysts are sticking with their forecast for 4.0%-4.5% growth for holiday sales this year, with early shopping and e-commerce making up for a dip in store traffic on Black Friday.
- Apparel sellers in particular came out with a stronger online push this year.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:AMZZ, EBAY, AEO, ANF, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, M, URBN, PSUN, BKE, WTSL, GPS, FDX, UPS, DKS, BBY, LULU, KATE, VRA, SPLS.
Sep. 18, 2014, 10:44 AM
- Uniqlo (OTCPK:FRCOY) aims to have 39 stores up and running in the U.S. by the middle of November as it builds out its fast-fashion brand with consumers.
- The company has a goal to have 200 stores in the U.S. by 2020.
- What to watch Though traditional rivals for Uniqlo include Zara (OTCPK:IDEXY), Hennes & Mauritz (OTCPK:HMRZF), and Gap (NYSE:GPS) - an explosive growth run by Uniqlo could threaten clothing chains (AEO, ARO, ANF, PSUN, ZUMZ, EXPR, BKE, URBN, WTSL, JNY, CACH, CATO, BEBE, TLYS) up and down the retail sector over the longer term.
Sep. 15, 2014, 12:20 PM
- Mall retailer stocks start off the week in sluggish fashion, trailing broad market averages.
- Channel checks on back-to-school traffic at malls have come in below expectations, although some analysts think e-commerce gains will offset.
- Sales for retail clothing stores rose 0.3% M/M and 3.2% Y/Y in August.
- Decliners: Lululemon (NASDAQ:LULU) -3.1%, Express (NYSE:EXPR) -2.2%, Pacific Sunwear (NASDAQ:PSUN) -2.2%, American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) -1.6%, Wet Seal (NASDAQ:WTSL) -2.1%, Buckle (NYSE:BKE) -1.0%, Urban Outfitters (NASDAQ:URBN) -1.1%, Zumiez (NASDAQ:ZUMZ) -1.9%.
Aug. 29, 2014, 12:45 PM
Aug. 28, 2014, 5:35 PM
Aug. 28, 2014, 4:03 PM
Aug. 27, 2014, 5:35 PM
Aug. 26, 2014, 1:48 PM
- Retail sales were strong across the sector, according to ICSC.
- Wholesale clubs (COST, PSMT, WMT), dollar stores (DLTR, DG, FDO), and apparel sellers (AAP, AEO, ANF, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, M, URBN, PSUN, BKE, WTSL, GPS) all tracked strong for the week.
- Sales for the month are forecast to rise 4% to 5%, compared to last year's 3.6% rise.
PSUN vs. ETF Alternatives
Pacific Sunwear, is a specialty retailer rooted in the action sports, fashion and music influences of California. It sells a combination of branded and proprietary casual apparel, accessories and footwear designed to appeal to teens and young adults.
Other News & PR