Fri, Jan. 2, 12:50 PM
Fri, Jan. 2, 9:14 AM
Fri, Jan. 2, 8:51 AM
- Add Perfect World's (NASDAQ:PWRD) name to the list of U.S.-traded Chinese companies to receive "non-binding" buyout offers involving a founder: Chairman Michael Chi has proposed acquiring the game developer for $20/share in cash (a 27% premium to Wednesday's close).
- As is the norm in such situations, Perfect World's board has formed a special committee to evaluate Chi's proposal. The success rate of similar going-private offers is very mixed (I, II).
- Perfect World has also announced mobile game publishing SVP Yunfan Zhang has been promoted to the newly-created role of COO.
Nov. 28, 2014, 11:46 AM
- Citing concerns about margin pressure, Pac Crest has downgraded Perfect World (NASDAQ:PWRD) to Sector Perform in the wake of the company's Q3 report.
- Perfect World reported an 880 bps Y/Y drop in gross margin on Tuesday, and a 33% increase in opex (above revenue growth of 17%). On the CC (transcript), CFO Kelvin Lau noted Perfect World's gross margin for mobile games is typically lower than that for PC games due to revenue-sharing agreements."I think the trend is to give away 30% to 40%, less than 50% of the revenue sharing."
Nov. 25, 2014, 7:05 PM
- Perfect World (NASDAQ:PWRD) expects Q4 revenue of RMB1.023B-RMB1.072B ($166.6M-$174.6M), in-line with a $171.9M consensus.
- Thanks to the strong performance of mobile games such as CrossGate Mobile and Forsaken World, online game revenue rose 23% Y/Y to $149.8M. However, average concurrent users for PC games fell to 623K from 778K. Licensing revenue fell 1% to $6.3M.
- Gross margin fell to 69% from 73.1% in Q2 and 77.8% a year ago. Opex rose 33% Y/Y (exceeding revenue growth of 17%) to $113.3M.
- Q3 results, PR
Nov. 25, 2014, 5:04 PM
Nov. 24, 2014, 5:35 PM
Oct. 28, 2014, 1:56 PM
- Perfect World (PWRD -0.2%) states placing its R&D teams within majority-owned subsidiaries will help it "attract and motivate top talent by granting them [a] direct stake in the subsidiaries."
- The Chinese online game developer has been seeing healthy top-line growth in recent quarters - revenue rose 30% Y/Y in Q2 - but has also been dealing with a decline in its PC gaming user base. Tencent remains the 800-lb. gorilla of a very competitive Chinese gaming market.
Sep. 3, 2014, 12:52 PM
- Perfect World (PWRD +0.6%) is selling the 30.3M Shanda Games (GAME +0.2%) Class A shares it only recently acquired for $100M for $104.6M in cash.
- The announcement comes in tandem with one stating Perfect World is joining multiple investment firms in pulling out of a consortium that had bid $1.9B to acquire Shanda. Shanda (current market cap of $1.67B) is brushing off the news.
Sep. 3, 2014, 6:44 AM
- Carlyle Group (NASDAQ:CG) and Fountainvest Partners have pulled out of a consortium backing a $1.9B bid to purchase Shanda Games (NASDAQ:GAME). Perfect World (NASDAQ:PWRD) and private equity firm Primavera Capital have also exited the consortium.
- Shanda Interactive Entertainment and an affiliate of Primavera, which together held 76.2% of Shanda, in January had offered $6.90 per ADS to buy the company, valuing it at $1.9B.
- Fountainvest joined the Shanda consortium in April, while Carlyle joined in May.
Aug. 19, 2014, 2:43 PM
- In addition to posting nearly in-line Q2 revenue (while beating on EPS), Perfect World (NASDAQ:PWRD) has guided for Q3 revenue of RMB956M-RMB1.003B ($155.4M-$163.1M), in-line with a $159.9M consensus.
- However, the company's PC gaming base remains under pressure: Average concurrent PC users for games under operation in mainland China totaled 661K in Q2, down from 662K in Q1 and 742K a year ago. Perfect World is counting on mobile titles such as MMORPG Forsaken World and cartoon-style RPG CrossGate Mobile to boost growth.
- Nonetheless, online gaming revenue rose 32% Y/Y to $138.8M, and licensing revenue 55% to $7.9M. The strong performance of major PC games such as Swordsman Online and DOTA2 contributed to the growth.
- Gross margin fell to 73.1% from 73.6% in Q1 and 76.5% a year ago. Opex rose 19% Y/Y to $88.7M, thanks in part to a 31% increase in R&D spend to $41.9M.
- Q2 results, PR
Aug. 19, 2014, 12:49 PM
Aug. 18, 2014, 5:35 PM
Aug. 18, 2014, 5:06 PM
Aug. 18, 2014, 2:23 PM
- Morgan Stanley has upgraded Perfect World (PWRD +1.6%) to Overweight ahead of this afternoon's Q2 report. Shares have ticked higher in response.
- The Chinese game developer is trading near a 5-month high. It's still 13% below a 52-week high of $26.25.
Aug. 17, 2014, 5:35 PM
PWRD vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR