Wed, Mar. 18, 7:05 PM
Tue, Mar. 17, 5:35 PM
Fri, Jan. 2, 12:32 PM
- After falling 18% in 2014 amid ongoing revenue and traffic losses, Renren (NYSE:RENN) is starting 2015 off on a strong note. 392K shares have been traded vs. a 3-month average of 762K.
- The Chinese social network owner/game developer is two days removed from announcing CFO Hui Huang and director Stephen Murphy are resigning. Huang is being replaced by finance VP Ashlew Law Kwok Wai.
Dec. 1, 2014, 10:38 AM
- Chinese Internet and telecom names are among the biggest tech decliners as the Nasdaq registers a 0.9% drop. A soft November PMI print isn't helping.
- Giants Alibaba (BABA -4.3%) and Baidu (BIDU -2.8%) are among the casualties. As is Qunar (QUNR -5.8%), which reports after the bell.
- Other Internet decliners: BITA -12%. QIHU -4.4%. CTRP -4.3%. SFUN -7.2%. LEJU -7.5%. RENN -6.3%. SINA -3.8%. WB -3%. YY -3.9%. VIPS -3.8%. SOHU -3.5%. MOBI -4.3%. CMGE -8.6%.
- Telecom decliners: CHL -3.6%. CHU -3.9%. CHA -4%.
- ETFs: KWEB, CQQQ, QQQC
Nov. 20, 2014, 7:07 PM
- Renren (NYSE:RENN) expects Q4 revenue of $15M-$17M, down 44.6%-51.1% Y/Y and well below a $21.3M consensus.
- Q3 online ad revenue -40.3% Y/Y to $8.8M; value-added services -19.6% to $4.7M; games -60.5% to $8.1M.
- Sales/marketing spend -22.5% to $12M; R&D -36.3% to $12.7M; G&A +3.5% to $13.8M.
- Renren ended Q3 with $740M in cash and term deposits, and no debt. Due to the company's recent performance, its market cap is currently $743M.
- Q3 results, PR
Nov. 20, 2014, 6:03 PM
Nov. 19, 2014, 5:35 PM
Nov. 4, 2014, 1:04 PM
- China's DoNews reports (citing an internal e-mail) Sohu (SOHU -1%) has reached a deal to acquire Renren's (RENN) 56.com video site, and plans to merge it with Sohu Video. Details will reportedly be provided next week.
- A July report stating Renren is selling 56.com Chinese video site Mango TV didn't pan out. However, Renren (having a rough time over the last two years) has unloaded its Nuomi daily deals site to Baidu, and has generally been looking to cut costs.
- Acquiring 56.com would give Sohu more scale as it squares off against Baidu, Youku, and Tencent in a very competitive Chinese online/mobile video market. Shares are off slightly after rallying yesterday (along with those of gaming unit Changyou) post-earnings.
Sep. 15, 2014, 1:21 PM
- Maybe looking to raise cash with which to buy Alibaba (Pending:BABA) this week, investors are dumping a wide swath of other Chinese internet names.
- Qihoo (QIHU -2.6%), Sohu.com (SOHU -5.3%), Baidu (BIDU -3.8%), Sina (SINA -4.9%), Renren (RENN -4%), Weibo (WB -11.3%), YY (YY -7.3%).
- Previously: Alibaba to boost IPO size
Aug. 26, 2014, 3:54 PM
- With investors having already digested a lot of bad news over the last year, Renren's (RENN +2.4%) Q2 revenue beat is overshadowing its light Q3 guidance: Revenue of $19M-$21M vs. a $22.9M consensus.
- Gaming revenue fell 56.6% Y/Y in Q2 to $9.9M, ad revenue 23.9% to $11.7M, and Internet value-added service revenue 35% to $3.4M. Monthly unique logins fell to 44M in June from 51M in March and 54M a year ago.
- Cost-cutting has been aggressive: Sales/marketing spend -37.3% Y/Y to $11.6M, and R&D -33.9% to $13.4M. G&A +7.6% to $14M.
- Operating loss was $30.4M. An $86M gain on the sale of short-term investments allowed Renren to report a profit. A new $100M buyback has been authorized, following the expiration of a program that was used to repurchase $69.4M worth of shares.
- Q2 results, PR
Aug. 25, 2014, 7:12 PM
Aug. 24, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jul. 30, 2014, 1:58 PM
- Marbridge Consulting reports Renren (RENN +1.2%) plans to sell its 56.com video site to fellow Chinese online video provider Mango TV, with a formal announcement due in August or September.
- Note: While some of Marbridge's reports have panned out, others have been shot down.
- Renren has already unloaded its Nuomi daily deals site to Baidu, as it tries to narrow its focus amid nosediving gaming revenue and declining social network traffic.
May 21, 2014, 7:21 PM
May 20, 2014, 5:35 PM
Mar. 19, 2014, 12:46 PM
RENN vs. ETF Alternatives
Renren Inc is engaged in the operation of social networking internet platform, as well as provision of online advertising services and internet value-added services, including online gaming operations, online talent show and other IVAS, among others.
Other News & PR