Nov. 29, 2013, 11:18 AM
- Jefferies' Cynthia Meng has cut Renren (RENN -10.4%) to Underperform after the company provided dispiriting Q4 guidance to go with mixed Q3 results.
- Meng doesn't see Renren's gaming ops (saw a 16.9% rev. drop in Q3, and will likely witness a bigger drop in Q4) rebounding in the near-term, given intense competition from Tencent and other firms with strong mobile game distribution. Renren has said it plans to focus on a smaller number of "high-quality" games" going forward.
- Meng also questions Renren's ability to transition from being a social networking platform to a social messaging platform (the company just launched a mobile messaging app), given the popularity of incumbents such as Tencent's WeChat, and notes iResearch estimates Renren has respectively seen 55% and 38% Y/Y drops in monthly time spent and daily active users.
- On the CC (transcript), Renren stated its ad sales (-11% Y/Y in Q3) were pressured by both the mobile transition and social networking competition, and that it plans to launch "a series of marketing campaigns" to promote its messaging app. The company also noted only ~10% of its Q4 ad revenue is expected to come from mobile.
Nov. 27, 2013, 6:27 PM
- Renren (RENN) is guiding for Q4 revenue of $29M-$31M. That's far below a consensus of $48.9M, and also down sharply from Q3 and year-ago levels of $47.6M and $48.8M, respectively.
- Renren's Q3 numbers make some likely culprits for the guidance apparent. After rising 1% in Q2, online game revenue fell 17% Y/Y to $20.1M due to the maturing of existing titles (and the failure of new titles to make up for it). Online ad revenue, up 2% in Q2, fell 11% Y/Y to $14.9M as Renren continues to bleed Chinese social networking share to Tencent and Sina.
- Two bright spots: Other Internet value-added service revenue rose 32% to $6.1M thanks to Renren's Woxiu virtual talent show service, and the Nuomi daily deals unit (now 59%-owned by Baidu) saw revenue rise 36% to $6.5M.
- In spite of Renren's revenue pressures, opex rose 27% Y/Y. Sales/marketing spend +34% to $28.5M, R&D +7% to $22.4M, G&A +57% to $14.6M. Given the Q4 guidance, job cuts might soon be on the way.
- Confirming a Marbridge Consulting report, Renren says it's restructuring its gaming ops to focus on "high-quality games."
- CC at 8PM ET. Q3 results, PR.
Nov. 27, 2013, 6:06 PM
Nov. 27, 2013, 12:10 AM
Nov. 26, 2013, 5:35 PM
Aug. 14, 2013, 7:31 PM| Comment!
Aug. 14, 2013, 12:10 AM
Aug. 13, 2013, 5:35 PM
Aug. 1, 2013, 5:45 PM
- YY's Q3 guidance is for revenue of RMB430M-RMB440M ($70.1M-$71.8M), good for 88%-92% Y/Y growth and well above a consensus of $61.4M.
- Q2 music services (YY Music) revenue +189% Y/Y to $27.8M (42% of total) thanks to a 174% increase in paid users to 635K.
- Online game revenue +87% Y/Y to $24.8M. Paid users +61% to 440K, Q2 ARPU +16% to RMB346 ($56.72).
- Online ads +42% to $6.9M, other revenue (membership program) +149% to $7.1M.
- Opex doubled Y/Y to $22.4M thanks to higher R&D and G&A spend. But since gross profit rose 136% Y/Y on the back of 118% rev. growth, op. margin rose to 20.2% from 12.7% a year ago.
- Chinese social networking peers are up in sympathy. Renren (RENN) +2.8% AH after soaring 19.5% in regular trading in the absence of major news. Sina (SINA) +0.8% after rising 6.8% thanks to Alibaba's moves.
- Q2 results, PR
Jul. 19, 2013, 10:12 AMRenren (RENN -6.1%) dives after warning it expects to report Q2 revenue of $49M-$50M, below prior guidance of $55M-$57M and a $56M consensus. The company largely blames the shortfall on game delays. Renren has been investing heavily in game development in an effort to offset slumping ad sales for its social networking platform, which has been losing ground to rival platforms such as Sina Weibo and Tencent's WeChat. Full results arrive on Aug. 14. | Comment!
Mar. 11, 2013, 2:45 AMRenren (RENN): Q4 net loss $21.1M vs profit of $44.3M a year earlier and consensus of $28.2M. Sales +49% to $48.8M. Increases R&D spending 84% to create new apps and for mobile development. Slowing Chinese growth hurt ad demand. Forecasts Q1 net revenue of $44-46M, +43% Y/Y and vs consensus of $47M. (PR) | 1 Comment
Mar. 11, 2013, 12:05 AM
Mar. 10, 2013, 5:30 PM
Feb. 26, 2013, 12:10 AM
Feb. 25, 2013, 5:35 PM
Feb. 12, 2013, 12:10 AM
RENN vs. ETF Alternatives
Renren Inc is engaged in the operation of social networking internet platform, as well as provision of online advertising services and internet value-added services, including online gaming operations, online talent show and other IVAS, among others.
Other News & PR