Wed, Apr. 8, 11:08 AM
- Regal Entertainment Group (RGC -1.7%) trades lower after Janney Montgomery Scott takes its rating down to Neutral from Buy.
- Shares of Regal have held up decently since the company called off a plan to sell itself in January.
- The company is considered a potential target due to its broad reach (42 states) and attractive properties (12.8 screens per location).
Fri, Mar. 13, 12:55 PM
- Carmike Cinemas (CKEC +12.3%) pops after Reuter reports the movie chain is considering strategic alternatives including a merger.
- Sources say Carmike has approached other exhibitors to discuss a potential combination.
- Shares of Regal Entertainment (RGC +2%) and AMC Entertainment (AMC +2.4%) are higher on the day, while Cinemark Holdings (CNK -0.7%) and Reading International (RDI -1%) are sluggish.
- Analysts think a merger in the sector would be closely appraised by regulators.
Tue, Feb. 17, 11:29 AM
- Movie theater stocks are out-performing broad indexes on a down market day.
- A sizzling box office weekend for Fifty Shades of Grey could be the impetus.
- Earlier this year, American Sniper gave the sector an unexpected traffic boost.
- The YTD box is well-ahead of last year's pace with the biggest releases still to come.
- Reading International (NASDAQ:RDI) +0.9%, Marcus Corporation (NYSE:MCS) +0.4%, Carmike Cinemas (NASDAQ:CKEC) +0.5%, Regal Entertainment (NYSE:RGC) +0.3%, Cinemark Holdings (NYSE:CNK) +0.2%, Dolby (NYSE:DLB) +0.4%, RealD (NYSE:RLD) +0.3%, AMC Entertainment (NYSE:AMC) flat on the day. IMAX (NYSE:IMAX) is -2.0% after taking on a Canaccord Genuity downgrade.
- Previously: American Sniper crushes again at the box office (Jan. 26 2015)
- Previously: 'Fifty Shades' sets records
Dec. 17, 2014, 3:45 PM
- Movie theater stocks move higher on above-average volume.
- The rally is helping to make up for a broad decline yesterday tied to threats from the Sony hackers over U.S. screenings of The Interview.
- Though the four major U.S. theater chains and Canadian firm Cineplex (OTC:CPXGF) have all dropped plans to show the movie due to security concerns, there's a buzz among media analysts that a pay-TV operator could strike a VOD deal to rescue Sony Pictures (NYSE:SNE).
- Gainers: Carmike Cinemas (NASDAQ:CKEC) +3.3%, Cinemark Holdings (NYSE:CNK) +2.6%, Regal Entertainment (NYSE:RGC) +1.9%, AMC Entertainment (NYSE:AMC) +4.4%, Marcus Corp. (NYSE:MCS) +1.3%.
Dec. 16, 2014, 6:57 PM
- A disturbing turn in the Sony Pictures (NYSE:SNE) hacking case developed when the hackers involved warned through Internet posts of attacks on movie theaters that feature The Interview.
- The movie is scheduled to debut on December 25.
- "All the world will denounce the SONY," reads the threat.
- Movie theater stocks were lower on the day: Carmike Cinemas (NASDAQ:CKEC) -2.1%, AMC Entertainment (NYSE:AMC) -2.9%, Regal Entertainment (NYSE:RGC) -0.7%, Cinemark Holdings (NYSE:CNK) -2.6%.
- Sony hacking case timeline
Oct. 28, 2014, 10:21 AM| Comment!
Oct. 27, 2014, 9:09 PM
- Regal Entertainment (NYSE:RGC), the largest movie theater chain in the U.S., +15% AH after saying it is exploring strategic alternatives that may include a sale of the company.
- The announcement came as RGC reported Q3 earnings that fell sharply from a year ago because of a weak summer box-office season.
- In the post-earnings conference call, CEO Amy Miles said RGC's "strong performance" and "attractive industry dynamics" makes it an "opportune time to conduct a thorough review of our options."
Oct. 27, 2014, 5:40 PM
Oct. 27, 2014, 4:07 PM| Comment!
Jul. 7, 2014, 10:19 AM
- Movie theater stocks Regal Entertainment (RGC -1.1%), Carmike Cinemas (CKEC -0.6%), and Cinemark Holdings (CNK -3%) trade lower after a weak 4th of July weekend keeps movie chains under pressure to meet Q3 projections.
- IMAX (IMAX -0.6%) and RealD (RLD -2.9%) are also lower off the lackluster box office news.
May. 15, 2014, 9:16 AM| Comment!
Sep. 4, 2013, 11:17 AM| Comment!
Dec. 7, 2012, 12:50 PM
Nov. 29, 2012, 5:46 PM
May. 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
May. 2, 2012, 10:38 AM
RGC vs. ETF Alternatives
Regal Entertainment Group operates a theatre circuit in the United States. It develops, acquires, and operates multi-screen theatres in mid-sized metropolitan markets andsuburban growth areas of metropolitan markets throughout United States.
Other News & PR