Thu, Mar. 12, 10:52 AM| 3 Comments
Wed, Feb. 25, 5:07 PM
Oct. 29, 2014, 5:20 PM| Comment!
Aug. 27, 2014, 8:31 AM
Aug. 26, 2014, 5:59 PM
Aug. 26, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jul. 29, 2014, 5:43 PM
- Sturm, Ruger & Co. (NYSE:RGR) estimates it saw a 31% Y/Y drop in Q2 in units sold from distributors to retailers, and an 11% drop for the whole of 1H14. Total NICS adjusted background checks (used to measure industry demand) fell 12% in Q2, and 18% in 1H14.
- Declining sales led gross margin to fall to 32.8% from 39.4% a year ago. Opex fell 13% to $17.3M, with both sales and G&A spend declining. New products were 18% of 1H firearm sales.
- $75M has been added to RGR's buyback authorization, raising its size to $100M.
- RGR -4% AH. Smith & Wesson (NASDAQ:SWHC) -2.3% in sympathy.
- Q2 results, PR
Jun. 19, 2014, 4:55 PM
- Though Smith & Wesson (SWHC) beat FQ4 estimates, it's guiding for FQ1 revenue of $130M-$135M and EPS of $0.23-$0.25, far below a consensus of $160.6M and $0.40. The company's annual 2-week production shutdown is expected cut output by $6M-$8M.
- FY15 (ends April '15) guidance is for revenue of $585M-$600M and EPS of $1.30-$1.40, below a consensus of $621.9M and $1.45.
- FQ4 revenue was down 1.5% Y/Y excluding a Walther sale agreement that has since ended. Gross margin rose 260 bps to 40.9%, and opex rose to 15.6% of revenue from 12.1% a year ago.
- Sturm, Ruger & Co. (RGR) is following Smith & Wesson lower.
- FQ4 results, PR
May. 5, 2014, 5:07 PM| 1 Comment
Feb. 26, 2014, 9:56 AM
- Shares of Sturm Ruger (RGR -11.1%) tail off after the company misses the EPS estimate of analysts with its Q4 report.
- There is a little bit of a shock factor as the profit miss is the first for the company in four years.
- Gun demand has fallen off quite a bit lately, according to FBI background check tallies.
Dec. 11, 2013, 10:02 AM
- Smith & Wesson (SWHC +5%) trades higher following its FQ2 report and early look at FQ3 projections.
- Execs with the company say they expected the big drop in November for NCIS background checks, a trend they see continuing through May of next year. They note the upcoming comparables run up against an enormous period of demand and they still see industry trends as positive.
- Related stocks RGR, CAB.
- Earnings call transcript
Oct. 8, 2013, 10:03 AM
- The Taser (TASR +5.5%) price cut is not as bad as it seems, says JPMorgan's Paul Coster, who took the time to listen on the company conference call.
- It's more a debundling of its Axon/Evidence.com service as total solution pricing has not changed - the company now charges for the first year of evidence.com storage and license fees. The new strategy is intended to eliminate customized sales contracts, thus accelerating the sales cycle.
- Coster ups his price target to $13 from $12, but keeps the stock rated a Hold.
- Related: RGR +1.4%, SWHC +1.1%.
- Previous: The price cut story.
Sep. 17, 2013, 2:51 PM
- Sturm Ruger (RGR +2.4%), Cabela's (CAB +1.5%), and Smith & Wesson (SWHC +2.7%) trade higher after the stocks fell back in response to a mass shooting at the Washington D.C. Navy Yard yesterday.
- Some early reaction to the tragedy is focused on the suspect's history of mental illness, although calls for stricter gun control laws are also part of the debate.
- A broader theme in the weapons manufacturing sector is the trend toward slowing demand. Earlier this month, Smith & Wesson issued guidance for Q3 revenue which fell below the consensus estimate of analysts.
Jul. 31, 2013, 5:34 PM
- Sturm, Ruger (RGR) Q2 beats across the board.
- Net earnings increased 79%, driven by 50% growth in sales and ongoing focus on improvement in operations.
- New product introductions, including the LC380 and SR45 pistols, were a significant component of sales growth, representing 31% of firearm sales in the first half of 2013.
- Estimated unit sell-through of products from the independent distributors to retailers increased 37 from comparable prior year periods.
- Shares +5.2% AH.
Apr. 30, 2013, 9:44 AM
Apr. 29, 2013, 8:19 PM
RGR vs. ETF Alternatives
Sturm Ruger & Co Inc is engaged in the design, manufacture, and sale of firearms to domestic customers. The Company also manufactures and sells investment castings made from steel alloys for internal use in the firearms segment.
Other News & PR