Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, Roche is a leader in research-focused healthcare with combined strengths in pharmaceuticals and diagnostics. Roche is the world's largest biotech company, with truly differentiated medicines in oncology, infectious diseases, inflammation, metabolism and... More
Thursday, Sep 197:06 AM
Monday, Sep 161:19 PM
Monday, Sep 163:15 AMRoche appoints Lufthansa CEO as Chairman
Monday, Sep 163:15 AM| Comment!
- Roche (RHHBY.OB) has nominated Deutsche Lufthansa (DLAKF.PK) CEO Christoph Franz to become non-executive Chairman to replace Franz Humer, with a shareholder meeting to confirm the appointment due on March 4.
- Franz will officially leave his job at the German airline when his contract expires in May.
- His tasks include ensuring that Roche overcomes the impact of a patent cliff and possibly to decide whether the Swiss drugs maker should purchase the stake held in the firm by rival Novartis. (PR)
Friday, Sep 134:48 AMFDA panel backs use of Roche drug for early stage breast cancer
Friday, Sep 134:48 AM| Comment!
- An FDA advisory panel has recommended that the agency approve Roche's (RHHBY.OB) Perjeta drug for the pre-surgical, or neoadjuvant, treatment of breast cancer.
- If authorized for this indication, Perjeta could be used as an initial step to shrink tumors and so make surgery less invasive. Roche has estimated that 15,000 women a year could benefit.
- The FDA could make a decision next month.
- Perjeta has already been authorized for treating patients with HER2-positive advanced breast cancer that has spread.
Thursday, Sep 129:34 AMFDA advisory committee meets over Roche breast cancer drug
Thursday, Sep 129:34 AM| Comment!
- An FDA advisory committee is meeting today to discuss Roche's (RHHBY.OB) Perjeta drug for the treatment of breast cancer.
- Earlier this week, FDA reviewers recommended that Perjeta receive expedited approval to treat the early stages of the disease.
- You can watch the proceedings here, and follow live tweets here.
Tuesday, Sep 109:07 AMFDA reviewers back quick approval for Roche breast cancer drug
Tuesday, Sep 109:07 AM| Comment!
- FDA reviewers have recommended that Roche's (RHHBY.OB) breast cancer drug Perjeta be given expedited approval to treat the early stages of the disease.
- Roche is seeking authorization to use Perjeta as a neoadjuvant, or initial, treatment for patients whose tumors contain higher amounts of the HER2 protein.
- If approved, Perjeta would be the first neoadjuvant breast-cancer medicine authorized by the FDA.
Tuesday, Sep 107:35 AMRoche signs licensing deal for two Inovio vaccines
Tuesday, Sep 107:35 AM| Comment!
- Roche (RHHBY.OB) has signed a deal to exclusively license two Inovio Pharmaceuticals (INO) vaccines - INO-5150 for prostate cancer and INO-1800 for hepatitis B, both of which are in pre-clinical development.
- Roche will pay $10M up front, milestones of up to $412.5M, and double-digit tiered royalties on any product sales.
- Inovio's vaccines have shown that they can induce the immune system's T cells in animal models to fight disease.
- The Swiss company will also gain access to Inovio's electroporation technology, which is used to administer the vaccines.
- Inovio shares soar 33% premarket, Roche +1% in Zurich. (PR)
Monday, Sep 98:55 AMPDL BioPharma forecasts Q3 revenue of $97M
Monday, Sep 98:55 AM| Comment!
- PDL BioPharma (PDLI) expects Q3 revenue of $97M, up 14% on year but a bit below consensus of 97.91M.
- PDL made the projection based on increased Q2 sales of several drugs for which PDL is due to receive royalties in Q3, including Avastin, Herceptin and Lucentis.
- PDL will receive the payments for many of the drugs from Roche unit Genentech (RHHBY.OB). (PR)
Tuesday, Sep 39:02 AMRoche gets authorization for sub-Q Herceptin, good news for Halozyme
Tuesday, Sep 39:02 AM| Comment!
- The European Commission grants Roche (RHHBY.OB) marketing authorization for a time-saving sub-Q version of Herceptin which uses Halozyme Therapeutics' (HALO) rHuPH20.
- The administration takes just two to five minutes versus 30-90 minutes with the IV form. (PR)
- SA contributor StockMatusow recommended HALO shares last week, in part based on what he believed was a forthcoming approval for sub-Q Herceptin.
- HALO +9.5% premarket.
Saturday, Aug 177:38 PMRoche abandons Herceptin patent in India
Saturday, Aug 177:38 PM| Comment!
- Roche (RHHBY.OB) throws in the towel on its patent for the breast cancer drug Herceptin in India.
- The decision comes as the Indian government looks set to issue a compulsory license which would essentially nullify the patent and pave the way for cheaper versions of the expensive treatment.
- "It’s a completely face-saving thing,” Kalyani Menon-Sen, a campaigner for affordable medicines tells FT. "They know the patent is on wobbly grounds, and they know the compulsory license is coming through," she adds.
- Pharmaceutical sales in India totaled just 0.2% of the company's global pharmaceutical sales in 2012, WSJ notes.
Monday, Aug 128:34 AMCelldex expands trial of brain-cancer drug
Monday, Aug 128:34 AM| 1 Comment
- Celldex Therapeutics (CLDX +3%) increases the number of patients by 75 to 170 in a Phase II trial in which the company's rindopepimut is being added to Roche's (RHHBY.OB) Avastin for treating recurrent glioblastoma, a type of brain cancer, in patients whose tumors have become resistant to Avastin.
- The trial is being expanded following early evidence of anti-tumor activity, including shrinkage. (PR)
Wednesday, Jul 317:26 AMGoldman ups exposure to European stocks
Wednesday, Jul 317:26 AM| Comment!
- Betting on economic recovery in the eurozone, Goldman Sachs Asset Management recently doubled its overweight position in European equities to more than 8%.
- After bouncing along the bottom for years, "there are some positive signs of improvement," says CIO of international equities Eddie Perkins.
- One sector of note is pharmaceuticals trading at a 50% discount to their U.S. peers, says Perkins.
- GSK, SNY, SHPG, AZN, NVS, BAYRY.PK, RHHBY.OB come to mind
- One caveat, says Perkins, is emerging market exposure - listed European companies get one-third of their revenue from EM and to the extent those countries are weak, it could lead to poor results.
- ETFs of interest: EZU, VGK, FEZ, EPV, IEV, ADRU, FEP, FDD, UPV, DFE, FEU, FEEU.
- Earlier: Eurozone unemployment drops for first time in 2 years.
Tuesday, Jul 302:24 PMAlexion asks Goldman to advise on potential Roche deal|Tuesday, Jul 302:24 PM| Comment!
Monday, Jul 229:36 AMRoche's (RHHBY.OB) directors face the prospect of looking beyond the company's board for a Chairman to replace Franz Humer after its most suitable members, including the CEOs of Shell and Nestle, turned down the job. Possible contenders include Genentech Chairman Art Levinson, although he's also Chairman of Apple and he might be seen as too strong-willed. |Monday, Jul 229:36 AM| Comment!
Monday, Jul 228:13 AMSix global pharmaceutical companies, including Merck (MRK), Novartis (NVS), Roche (RHHBY.OB) and Sanofi (SNY) could come under scrutiny in China as they have reportedly used a travel agency that's been linked to the GSK corruption scandal. Documents seen by the NYT show that the firms contracted Shanghai Linjiang International Travel Agency to organize events and conferences. However, there's no evidence of wrongdoing. Merck and Roche acknowledge using the agency. |Monday, Jul 228:13 AM| 1 Comment
Thursday, Jul 186:02 PMOxigene (OXGN) says the European Medicines Agency has granted orphan drug status to its ovarian cancer treatment Zybrestat. Data from a Phase 2 trial testing the combination of Zybrestat and Roche's (RHHBY.OB) cancer drug Avastin - to treat advanced ovarian cancer - could be available in early 2014. If the results prove positive, it could provide the basis for a registration program. Shares +32% AH. |Thursday, Jul 186:02 PM| Comment!