From other sites
at Zacks.com (Dec 3, 2014)
at Nasdaq.com (Dec 2, 2014)
at MarketWatch.com (Jan 6, 2014)
There are no Transcripts on RING.
Aug. 16, 2013, 3:31 PM
- A new report from Sterne Agee says the letup in selling of gold and silver should be good for shares in precious metals miners, providing the latest example of the recent shift in analyst sentiment.
- J.P. Morgan, meanwhile, expects gold stocks to rally through the Denver Gold Forum from Sept. 22-25, which given other positives for the metal could spark stronger prices in the run-up to the show.
- Sterne Agee recommends Newmont Mining (NEM), Coeur d'Alene (CDE) and Gold Resource (GORO); J.P. Morgan prefers NEM, Goldcorp (GG), Eldorado (EGO) and NewGold (NGD).
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, SIL, GLDX, PSAU, NUGT, DUST, GGGG, RING.
Aug. 15, 2013, 1:43 PM
- Maybe it's the dive in stocks or maybe word longtime bull John Paulson has turned seller, but gold is on the move, up to $1,361 per ounce - it's highest level since the start of the summer.
- Silver is soaring and has also returned back to mid-June levels at $22.93.
- GLD +2.1%, SLV +5%.
- Related ETFs: GLD, IAU, SGOL, PHYS, AGOL, DGL, UBG, DGP, UGL, DZZ, GLL, DGZ, UGLD, DGLD, GLDI, SLV, SIVR, AGQ, DBS, USV, ZSL, USLV, DSLV, SLVO.
- The miners have been moving higher for most of the summer and they're partying again, GDX +4.3% today, +35% from its late-June low. SIL +3.1% today, up 50% since late June.
- Yesterday: Klarman's a buyer.
- Related ETFs: GDXJ, GLDX, PSAU, NUGT, DUST, GGGG, RING, SLVP, SILJ.
Aug. 15, 2013, 7:12 AM
- The largest investor in the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD), Paulson & Co. cut its holdings by more than half to 10.2M shares in the quarter ended June 30. It's the first cut since 2011 and came "due to a reduced need for hedging," says the firm in an emailed response to questions.
- Funds run for George Soros and Daniel Loeb sold their entire GLD stakes in Q2.
- As for gold miners (GDX), Paulson sold its call options on Barrick Gold (ABX), but maintained stakes in Agnico Eagle (AEM), Allied Nevada (ANV), and Iamgold (IAG). Holdings in Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) were boosted to 15.5M shares from 9M.
- Sources: 13F, Previous 13F
- Related ETFs: IAU, SGOL, PHYS, AGOL, DGL, UBG, DGP, UGL, DZZ, GLL, DGZ, UGLD, DGLD, GLDI, GDXJ, GLDX, PSAU, NUGT, DUST, GGGG, RING.
Aug. 14, 2013, 1:04 PM
- Also boosting the gold miners (see Klarman earlier) is Credit Suisse upping its price target on Barrick Gold (ABX +5.1%) by 10% to $22 per share, saying the company "is moving in the right direction." Goodhaven Fund - a highly concentrated, low-turnover mutual fund which earlier made the case for Barrick - disclosed a tripling of its position during Q2.
- Newmont Mining (NEM +5.5%), Goldcorp (GG +4%), Vista Gold (VGZ +7.1%).
- The Materials Select SPDR (XLB) is the best-performing sector today.
- Related ETFs: FXZ, IYM, PYZ, VAW, RTM, PSCM, UYM, SMN, SBM.
- Gold miners: GDX, GDXJ, GLDX, PSAU, NUGT, DUST, GGGG, RING.
Aug. 14, 2013, 11:39 AM
- New Baupost positions added in Q2 include a 3.255M share stake in Yamana Gold (AUY +4.1%), 2.1M shares of Kinross Gold (KGC +6.1%), and 155.7K shares of Pretium Resources (PVG +3.8%).
- Source: 13F, previous 13F.
- GDX +4.9%, SIL +3.5%.
- Baupost's 13F discloses holdings of just $4B vs. total AUM of $26B, so there may be more going on, notes ValueWalk's Tabinda Hussain.
- Other PM mining ETFs: GDXJ, GLDX, PSAU, NUGT, DUST, GGGG, RING, SLVP, SILJ.
Aug. 13, 2013, 6:40 PM
- Even as gold mining stocks are poised for a third straight year of losses, Citi analysts say it could get worse, with companies likely to "struggle to make ends meet" after failing to pass on benefits from the past four years’ heyday in gold to shareholders.
- Citi's gloomy view is in contrast to Marc "Dr. Doom" Faber's belief that gold miners is the one sector that should appeal to investors wanting to buy low and sell high; he likes Newmont Mining (NEM), Barrick Gold (ABX) and IAMGOLD (IAG).
- Citi recommends investors play it safe with companies that can adapt to a lower gold-price environment, such as Buy-rated ABX and Medusa Mining (MDSMF.PK); it tags Sell ratings on Harmony Gold (HMY), African Barrick (ABGLF.PK) and Polymetal (POYYF.OB).
- Gold mining ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, GLDX, PSAU, GGGG, RING.
Aug. 13, 2013, 1:27 PM
- The NYSE Arca Gold Miners Index is undergoing a major revamp - effective September 20, the index will expand its universe of securities to non-U.S.-listed companies, and will begin excluding those firms will less than $750M in market cap. The index will also include the use of ADRs and GDRs.
- A "buffer" below the $750M mark will be used to reduce turnover as well as to grandfather in any company currently in the index with greater than $450M market cap.
- The Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) and the Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3x ETF (NUGT) currently track this index.
- IndexUniverse Director of Research Elisabeth Kashner isn't pleased: "We ignore this development at our peril ... If indexes can be retooled as funds can be, then it makes indexes less useful as yardsticks."
- Other gold miner ETFs: GDXJ, GLDX, PSAU, DUST, GGGG, RING.
Aug. 12, 2013, 9:28 AM
- Gold and silver mining stocks are trading higher after the SPDR Gold ETF (GLD +2.1%) logs its first increase in holdings since June: HMY +4%, EGO +3.7%, IAG +3.6%, AUY +3.4%, HL +3%, GDX +2.6%, KGC +2.5%, SLW +2.4%, ABX +2.2%, SLV +2%, GFI +2%, NEM +1.7%.
- December Comex gold +2.2% to $1,341.50/oz.
- ETFs: GDXJ, GLDX, PSAU, NUGT, DUST, GGGG, RING, SIL, SILJ, SLVP.
Aug. 6, 2013, 10:11 AM
- GDX -3.2% in early trade as gold (GLD -1.4%) again slides well below $1,300 per ounce.
- Allied Nevada Gold (a 0.75% holding of GDX) tumbles 15% as it suspends construction of its Hycraft Mill.
- A favorite playground of the gold miner bears roars back into favor, DUST] +10.5%.
- Other gold-miner ETFs: GDXJ, GLDX, PSAU, NUGT, GGGG, RING.
Aug. 5, 2013, 6:45 PM
- Some gold miners (GDX, GDXJ) have returned to hedging to protect themselves against further drops in the price of the metal, several senior precious metals bankers tell FT.
- Although major gold miners have yet to return to the long-shunned practice, small and medium-sized gold companies are said to have rushed to hedge in recent months.
- The shift in philosophy reflects mining executives’ fear that the past month’s rebound in gold prices may be short-lived, as well as the recognition that more falls in prices could push them into losses.
Jul. 25, 2013, 2:39 PMAs equity analysts have downgraded gold stocks (GDX), credit ratings have remained resilient but Moody's says persistent gold prices below $1,300/oz. or more volatile pricing could prompt downgrades of several miners. Investment-grade producers such as Newmont (NEM), Barrick (ABX) and Goldcorp (GG) have more options to deal with low prices than smaller firms such as Iamgold (IAG) or Eldorado (EGO), Moody's says. | 7 Comments
Jul. 24, 2013, 3:34 PMGold prices (GLD -1.7%) suffer their biggest single-session drop in nearly three weeks, pressured by strength in the U.S. dollar and a surge in new U.S. home sales last month. It's a bad day for the miners (GDX -6.2%) too: ABX -6.3%, GFI -4.8%, GG -5.8%, NEM -5.6%, KGC -6.1%, NGD -3.4%, EGO -6.4%, AUY -6.6%, AEM -7.6%. Silver miners (SIL -5.4%): SLW -4.7%. | 12 Comments
Jul. 23, 2013, 3:11 PMGold (GLD +0.9%) continues its comeback tour, with a big move in the last 30 minutes pushing the metal into the green for the session and up to $1,344/ounce. Technician Mark Newton calls this bounce the beginning of a longer-term bottoming process, and sees the metal back at $1,500 before October. The miners (GDX +2.5%) also continue a big move, inducing the blow-up of another triple-leveraged ETF, the DUST (DUST -7.2%), now off about 60% in less than a month. | 13 Comments
Jul. 22, 2013, 10:14 AMMetal miners is the strongest sector in early trading as gold futures climb as high as $1,325/oz.: GDX +4.9%, GDXJ +5.8%, NUGT +15.1%. Newmont Mining (NEM +4.6%) tops all S&P 500 gainers; also RGLD +6%, ABX +5.3%, GG +4.6%, KGC +4.6%, BVN +4.2%, GFI +3.8%. Silver miners (SIL +4.4%): CDE +7%, SLW +5.6%, HL +3.2%. | 5 Comments
Jul. 16, 2013, 3:18 PMGold (GLD +0.4%) gains again, sending the price to a 3-week high of $1,290/ounce and the miners (GDX +4.2%), (PSAU +3.3%) are responding. "Never let a serious crisis go to waste," says the JPMorgan team, paraphrasing Rahm Emanuel. The bear market is forcing managements to not only cut costs, but to consider restructuring from "a shape that was optimized for the 12 year bull market in gold to one that is more suited to a future with less available liquidity." Barrick (ABX +5.2%), Goldcorp (GG +3.9%), Gold Fields (GFI +4.4%), NovaGold (NG +3.2%). Don't forget the silver miners (SIL +3.1%): Hecla (HL +4.5%), Silver Wheaton (SLW +3.9%), Coeur (CDE +5.8%). | 3 Comments
Jul. 11, 2013, 8:46 AM
There are no StockTalks on this stock yet.
RING vs. ETF Alternatives
The iShares MSCI Global Gold Miners Fund seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance, before fees and expenses, of the MSCI ACWI Select Gold Miners Investable Market Index.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Other News & PR