Wed, Aug. 12, 6:27 PM
- Low expectations have helped Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) rise to $2.87 in AH trading following its Q2 beat: Shares were down 46% YTD going into earnings, and even more before gaining 6.9% in regular trading today.
- Roundy's is guiding for Q3 revenue from continuing ops of $975M-$985M (below a $999.7M consensus) and 2015 revenue from continuing ops of $3.95B-$3.99B (below a $4B consensus).
- The supermarket chain's same-store sales from continuing ops fell 3.9% Y/Y in Q2, with a 4.9% drop in transactions more than offsetting a 1% increase in average transaction size. If not for a change in Easter's timing, same-store sales would've fallen 2.4%.
- Wisconsin revenue fell 3.5% Y/Y to $648.2M - 3 stores were closed since last year, and 1 opened. Illinois revenue rose 29.1% to $350.1M thanks to new and acquired stores. Gross margin was flat at 26.4%.
- Q2 results, PR
Wed, Aug. 12, 5:39 PM
Wed, Aug. 12, 4:23 PM
Tue, Aug. 11, 5:35 PM
Wed, Jun. 24, 8:46 AM
- Grocery store stocks could see some volatility after Ahold agrees to buy Delhaize.
- Retail analysts think the sector could see more M&A with the presence of larger retail chains such as Target and Wal-Mart placing some pressure on companies to scale up.
- On watch: Kroger (NYSE:KR), Supervalu (NYSE:SVU), Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY), Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA), Village Super Market (NASDAQ:VLGEA), Weis Markets (NYSE:WMK), Fairway Group Holdings (NASDAQ:FWM).
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize agree to merger
Tue, May 19, 12:47 PM
Tue, May 19, 9:15 AM
Thu, May 14, 9:47 PM
- Consolidation in the grocery industry could pick up even more, observes Supermarket News.
- A large merger between Albertsons and Safeway (NYSE:SWY) has been followed by talks between Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY).
- The increased push by Wal-Mart and Target in the sector has added pressure to leverage store growth through M&A.
- "There is mounting pressure in the supermarket industry to consolidate operations to drive better purchasing power and leverage distribution and technology platforms," notes Wolfe Research.
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is seen as a likely candidate to look for a chain to acquire.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May 12)
- Grocery stocks: RNDY, SVU, VLGEA, WFM, CASY, IMKTA, OTCPK:PUSH, TFM, SFM, WMK.
Wed, May 13, 5:41 PM
Wed, May 13, 4:03 PM
Tue, May 12, 5:35 PM
Mon, May 11, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Wed, Apr. 8, 5:38 PM
Mon, Mar. 30, 5:38 PM
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:45 PM
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
RNDY vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR