A-MACE-Ing RVX-208: What Have We Heard About Heart Disease And RVX-208?Bjarke Krysel Christensen • Mon, Aug. 11
- RVX-208 is a BET inhibitor that may reduce the risk of major adverse cardiac events (MACE) in a high risk patient population.
- Post hoc analysis of two Phase II clinical trials showed that patients with low HDL and chronic low-grade inflammation as indicated by elevated hsCRP respond extremely well to RVX-208.
- In a recent press release, Resverlogix revealed that also patients suffering from diabetes mellitus responded very well to RVX-208, resulting in a statistically significant reduction of MACE.
- The connection between BET inhibition, inflammation and diabetes is discussed in the light of a recent trial with RVX-208 being used to treat pre-diabetic patients.
- This article also summarizes the data on MACE reduction in various subpopulations of patients in two Phase II clinical trials.
- A $30 million loan makes it possible for Resverlogix to run a follow up trial with RVX-208 with heart disease as the endpoint.
- The loan de-risks the financial side of the investment, but risk associated with the science behind RVX-208 remains.
- The patient population expected to be targeted in the new trial - called RE-MACE - will be high risk patients with chronic low grade inflammation.
- Patients with chronic low grade inflammation have previously been reported to experience a 63% reduction in Major Adverse Cardiac Events (MACE).
- Reproducing the reduction in MACE would make RVX-208 a blockbuster drug.
- Insiders bought common shares in Resverlogix, resulting in gross proceeds of CAD 2.3 million.
- Near term events include reporting of topline results from a diabetes trial and decision on a grant from the NIH for Alzheimers disease.
- Resverlogix remains overlooked by the investment community at large, but insiders apparently remain bullish.
- A growing body of scientific evidence supports that BET-protein inhibition protects against atherosclerosis and cardiac disease.
- RVX-208 developed by a small Canadian company, Resverlogix, has proven to be one such BET-protein inhibitor.
- If RVX-208 is successful in future clinical trials, trials that require funds that the company does not have at present, there is an immense sales potential in the drug.
- This article gives the background for the intriguing science behind BET-protein inhibition in general and BET-protein inhibition by RVX-208 in particular.
Mar. 6, 2010, 1:35 PM
Instablogs are blogs which are instantly set up and networked within the Seeking Alpha community. Instablog posts are not selected, edited or screened by Seeking Alpha editors, in contrast to contributors' articles.