Ryland Group Stumbles, But Still Remains In The Race
There are 4 articles on this stock available only to PRO subscribers.
Ryland Group (RYL) Q3 2014 Results - Earnings Call WebcastYesterday, 11:55 AM
The Ryland Group Inc Q4 2009 Earnings Call TranscriptJan. 28, 2010
The Ryland Group Inc. Q3 2009 Earnings Call TranscriptOct. 29, 2009
The Ryland Group, Inc. Q4 2008 Earnings Call TranscriptJan. 29, 2009
Wed, Sep. 17, 10:04 AM
- Lennar's sizable earnings beat included a 23% gain in new orders - a strong result given the slowdown seen from some other builders.
- Previously: Lennar up 4.3% after reporting big quarter
- ETFs: ITB +2.6%, XHB +1.8%
- Individual players: Ryland (RYL +4.8%) Pulte (PHM +3.8%), Toll Bros. (TOL +3.2%), D.R. Horton (DHI +4%), Hovnanian (HOV +5.8%), KB Home (KBH +4.4%), Comstock (CHCI +4.2%), Standard Pacific (SPF +3.8%).
Wed, Sep. 3, 10:16 AM
- The homebuilders are lower in early action following Toll Brothers beating earnings estimates, but expressing caution on pricing power, and cutting guidance for full-year home deliveries.
- ITB -0.8%, XHB -0.5%.
- Individual names: Hovnanian (HOV -0.9%), Lennar (LEN -1.5%), KB Home (KBH -1.8%), PulteGroup (PHM -1.4%), D.R. Horton (DHI -1.1%), Ryland (RYL -1.5%), NVR (NVR -1.1%), Standard Pacific (SPF -1.1%).
Tue, Aug. 19, 10:31 AM
- A far-faster-than-expected 15.7% gain in housing starts in July has the homebuilders sharply higher. Lenner (LEN +2.6%), Comstock (CHCI +5.8%), Ryland (RYL +2.4%), Hovnanian (HOV +3.2%), D.R. Horton (DHI +2.1%), Toll Bros. (TOL +1.4%), PulteGroup (PHM +1.1%), KB Home (KBH +1.9%).
- Commenting on the number, Bill McBride notes starts in Q1 averaged 925K on a seasonally-adjusted annualized rate, 997K in Q2, and that Q3 appears to be off to a solid start (1.093M in July). By year's end, McBride expects 2014 housing starts to increase by a double-digit pace over a weak 2013.
Thu, Jul. 24, 10:09 AM
- The ITB is lower by 1.5% and the XHB by 0.7% with earlier earnings misses from Pulte (PHM -1.5%) and D.R. Horton (DHI -5%). and just-released disappointing new home sales data weighing. Also reporting this morning was M/I Homes (MHO -3.2%), and that company beat estimates.
- June single-family new home sales of 406K fell 8.1% from May's rate of 442K (which was revised down from 504K). Expectations for June sales were 479K.
- The supply of new homes rises to 5.8 months at June's sales pace from 5.2 months previously.
- Other names: Lennar (LEN -1.6%), Ryland (RYL -2.3%), Standard Pacific (SPF -2%), Hovnanian (HOV -0.9%), Toll Brothers (TOL -2.2%).
Fri, Jun. 20, 10:38 AM
- The averages are nudging higher, but not the homebuilder names after Owens Corning cuts 2014 guidance on continued weakness in its roofing business.
- Soft action in Q1 continued through April and May, says the company, which now sees H1 roofing volumes as much as 20% lower than 2013. Owens still expects H2 to be better, but is less confident of that forecast today than it was a few months ago.
- ETFs: ITB -1.3%, XHB -1.2%
- Toll Bros. (TOL -1.6%), TriPointe Homes (TPH -1.3%), Lennar (LEN -1.6%), Ryland (RYL -1.8%), Hovnanian (HOV -0.9%), PulteGroup (PHM -1.2%), D.R. Horton (DHI -0.8%), Standard Pacific (SPF -1.8%)
Tue, Jun. 17, 9:44 AM
- Hit particularly hard in early action are the homebuilders after May housing starts missed expectations, but a fast CPI print has interest rates higher.
- Previously: Treasury prices slip after fast CPI report
- ETFs: ITB -1.1%, XHB -0.7%
- D.R. Horton (DHI -2.3%), KB Home (KBH -1.3%), Ryland (RYL -1.1%), Toll Brothers (TOL -1.2%), Lennar (LEN -0.7%), Hovnanian (HOV -0.7%)
Thu, Apr. 24, 1:21 PM
- The iShares DJ U.S. Home Construction ETF (ITB +2.7%) gains as earnings roll in from D.R. Horton, PulteGroup, Ryland, and M/I Homes. While PulteGroup saw slowdowns in closings and new orders, but offsetting increases in prices, D.R. Horton reported sales, new orders, and prices all on the rise. DHI is ahead 8%, Pulte 3%, Ryland (RYL +2.2%), M/I Homes (MHO +5.9%).
- The SPDR S&P Homebuilders ETF (XHB +1.2%) is more of a homebuilding supply play.
- Other builders: NVR (NVR +3.4%), Lennar (LEN +3.5%) Standard Pacific (SPF +2.8%), M.D.C. Holdings (MDC +3.2%), Hovnanian (HOV +2.5%), Toll Bros (TOL +4.2%).
Wed, Apr. 23, 10:19 AM
- The seasonally adjusted new home sales pace of 384K in March is 14.5% below that of February and 13.3% lower than a year ago. It's the slowest pace since July, and 14.5% is the 3rd-largest decline in 20 years. The median sales price of $290K is up 12.6% Y/Y. The supply of new homes on the market is 6 months at the current sales pace, up from 5 months in February.
- Homebuilder ETFs: ITB -1.7%, XHB -1.2%.
- Toll Brothers (TOL -1.6%), Lennar (LEN -1.9%), Hovnanian (HOV -1.5%), Pulte (PHM -1.6%), KB Home (KBH -3.3%), Beazer (BZH -2.4%), Ryland (RYL -2.6%)
- The 10-year Treasury yield dips two basis points to 2.69%. TLT +0.4%, TBT -0.8%
- Full report
Wed, Mar. 12, 9:54 AM
- The homebuilders are under pressure in early action amid another set of downgrades for individual names (Toll Bros., Pulte, Lyons today), and another slowdown in mortgage applications.
- The MBA Mortgage Application Index fell 2.1% last week, with the Purchase Index off 1% on the week and 17% from a year ago.
- Reporting on Credit Suisse's latest monthly agent survey, CNBC's Diana Olick says homebuyer traffic is falling and demand is "underwhelming," but the respondents cite higher rates and home prices, not the weather.
- XHB -1.3%, ITB -1.7%.
- Individual names: Hovnanian (HOV -1%), Lennar (LEN -1.2%) D.R. Horton (DHI -1.3%), Ryland (RYL -1.5%), KB Home (KBH -1.9%), Standard Pacific (SPF -1.5%), MDC Holdings (MDC -1.9%).
Wed, Mar. 5, 10:46 AM
- A check of the homebuilders following Hovnanian's big earnings miss and slowdown in closings (HOV now down 6.6%): NVR (NVR -1.5%), D.R. Horton (DHI -1.1%), KB Home (KBH -1.8%), Pulte (PHM -0.8%), Ryland (RYL -1.5%), Toll Bros. (TOL -0.3%), Lennar (LEN -1%).
- So what's the SPDR Homebuilders ETF (XHB +0.1%) doing in the green? The ETF has a heavy weighting to those tangential to the homebuilding industry - retail home improvement, building suppliers. More of a pure-play homebuilder fund is the iShares U.S. Home Construction ETF (ITB -0.8%).
Wed, Feb. 26, 10:34 AM
- Brutal winter weather has been the excuse for a long string of weak economic stats this year, but not January New Home Sales, which surged 9.6% from December to a seasonally adjusted annualized pace of 468K - a 5-year high. Expectations were for a drop to 400K. December sales were revised higher from 414K to 427K.
- The median sales price rose 3.4% Y/Y to $260,100.
- The Northeast led the way with a 73.7 jump. Sales climbed 11% in the West, and 10.4% in the South. In the MidWest, they dropped 17.2%.
- Full report
- The homebuilders cheer. ETFs: XHB +1.9%, ITB +2.2%. Individual names: TOL +1.8%, HOV +2%, RYL +2.9%, KBH +2.5%, LEN +2.7%, PHM +2.3%.
Thu, Jan. 30, 9:33 AM
- Closings of 2,178 units in Q4 up 39% Y/Y. Backlog of 2,626 units up 9.8%. Average closing price of $314K up 16.3%. Gross profit margin of 21.9% up 190 basis points. SG&A expense of 11.3% of revenue falls from 13.4%.
- New orders (adjusted for an acquisition last year) of 1,428 homes grew 2.7% from a year ago. New order dollars of $469.4M up 10.2%.
- RYL +2.5%.
- Press release, Q4 results
Tue, Jan. 28, 10:15 AM
- The homebuilders have their tails in their air following D.R. Horton's big earnings results which showed reports about the end of the housing recovery may be premature (DHI +8.5%). The company reported average sales price gains of 10%, orders by value up 14%, and the value of properties under contract up 20%.
- "Our weekly sales pace has accelerated in January," says Chairman Don Horton.
- XHB +1.6%, ITB +3%
- Toll Brothers (TOL +3.2%), Lennar (LEN +4.3%), KB Home (KBH +3.8%), Hovnanian (HOV +3.3%), Ryland (RYL +3.2%), Standard Pacific (SPF +3.2%), Comstock (CHCI +3.9%), Pulte (PHM +2.7%), NVR (NVR +1.4%), M.D.C. Holdings (MDC +3.6%), Taylor Morrison (TMHC +4.2%)
Fri, Jan. 17, 9:49 AM
- December housing starts of 999K fell 9.8% from November, but are up 1.6% from a year ago. SIngle family starts of 667K fell 7% from last month. For the full year, an estimated 923.4K housing units were started, up 18.2% from 2012.
- Building permits of 986K declined 3% M/M, rose 4.6% Y/Y. For the full year, an estimated 974K units were authorized, up 17.5% from 2012.
- Full report
- XHB -0.75%, ITB -0.8%.
- Builders: Toll Bros. (TOL -1.1%), Lennar (LEN -1.6%), Hovnanian (HOV -1.1%), Ryland (RYL -1.6%), D.R. Horton (DHI -1.1%), Pulte (PHM -1.4%), KB Home (KBH -0.9%).
Oct. 29, 2013, 4:41 PM
- Net income from operations of $53.6M or $0.95 per share compares to $10.4M or $0.21 per share a year ago on revenue of $576.4M up 60.7%.
- New orders of 1,592 units up 6.1%; new order dollars of $523M up 33%.
- Closings of 1,883 units up 43.5%. Backlogs of 3,376 units up 37%, up 61% in dollar terms to $1.1B.
- Average closing price of $298K up 12.9%. Gross profit margin of 20.6% vs. 19.1% a year ago.
- Cancellation rate creeps up to 23% from 19.9% a year ago.
- Sales incentives and price concessions of 6.4% of revenue compared to 9.1% a year ago.
- Q4 EPS guidance of $1.10-$1.20 on revenue of about $665M. Community count is expected to increase about 15% in 2014.
- RYL -1.3% AH.
- Q3 results, press release.
Oct. 24, 2013, 3:47 PM
- With interest rates already sharply lower than during Q3, investors look past the slowdown in new home orders last quarter at PulteGroup (PHM +7.6%) . Also reporting today, M/I Homes (MHO +7.6%) records a similar gain after new contracts of 869 homes gained 15% from a year ago.
- Not unnoticed is the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate falling 15 bps last week to a 4-month low of 4.13%.
- Other builders: Toll Brothers (TOL +2.5%), KB Home (KBH +2.9%), Ryland RYL, Hovnanian (HOV +2.5%), Standard Pacific (SPF +2.5%).
- ETFs: ITB +3.1%, XHB +2.4%.
RYL vs. ETF Alternatives
Ryland Group Inc is a homebuilder and a mortgage-finance company, which consists of six operating business segments namely four geographically determined homebuilding regions; financial services; and corporate.
Other News & PR