Tue, Feb. 3, 6:23 AM
- Profits at Banco Santander (NYSE:SAN) rose by almost 70% in the first full quarter under Ana Botín as the Spanish bank benefited from stronger lending income, higher fees and reduced provisions for bad loans.
- Santander reported net profit of €1.46B ($1.65B), up from €864B a year earlier and against analysts’ forecasts of €1.45B.
- Net interest income rose nearly 12% to €7.71B, from €6.93B, a year earlier.
- SAN +3% premarket
Aug. 4, 2014, 7:43 AM
Jan. 30, 2014, 4:22 AM
- Banco Santander's (SAN) Q4 net profit more than doubled to €1.06B ($1.45B) but fell short of forecasts of €1.2B.
- Net interest income dropped 11.6% to €6.28B.
- Overall lending -7%, but strong in Latin America
- Loan-loss provisions €2.4B, the lowest in eight quarters.
- Non-performing loans 5.64% vs 4.54% a year earlier.
- The IPO of Santander Consumer USA provides Santander with gain of €740M.
- "After several years of strengthening the balance sheet and capital, Banco Santander is embarking on a period of strong profit growth in the coming years," says Chairman Emilio Botín.
- Shares are -1.8% in Madrid. (PR)
Oct. 24, 2013, 3:42 AM
- Banco Santander's (SAN) Q3 net profit jumped to €1.06B ($1.46B) from €122M a year earlier and just missed consensus of €1.07B.
- However, net interest income fell 16% to €6.29B as net lending dropped 8.7%.
- The big rise in profits was due to Santander reducing the amount of money it set aside for bad loans to €2.6B from €2.99B, while last year it also booked a property related writedown of €1.14B.
- "After several years of high levels of write-offs and reinforcement of capital, Banco Santander is preparing for a new period of increased profitability," Chairman Emilio Botin said.
- Profit breakdown: Brazil €358M vs €531M, Spain €73M vs 342M, U.K. €306M vs €322M.
- Shares +0.2% in Madrid. (PR)
Jul. 30, 2013, 3:59 AM
- Santander (SAN): H1 net profit +29% to €2.25B, as expected.
- Net interest income -13% to €13.37B.
- Profits in Q2 boosted by lower provisions in Spain, although this was offset by weaker performance in Latin America.
- Plans to always maintain a "fully-loaded" Basel III capital ratio of 9%, having previously said that it would reach a ratio of 8% by the year-end. (PR)
Jul. 30, 2013, 12:05 AM
- ACI, ADS, AET, ARQL, AUDC, BLC, BP, BYD, CIE, CMI, COH, CVLT, DB, DDD, DIN, DISCA, DSX, ECL, ESV, ETR, EZPW, FIS, GLW, GNRC, GT, GTI, GTLS, HCP, HEP, HRS, HW, IPGP, JBLU, KLIC, MCGC, MDC, MLM, MRK, MSO, MWV, NEE, NLSN, NOV, NTLS, NYX, ODP, OSK, OXY, PBI, PEG, PES, PFE, ROK, S, SAN, SNH, TRI, TRW, UBS, UDR, VSH, WLK, WM, WU, XYL
Jul. 29, 2013, 5:30 PM
- ACI, ADS, AET, ARQL, AUDC, BLC, BP, BYD, CIE, CMI, COH, CVLT, DB, DDD,DIN, DISCA, DSX, ECL, ESV, ETR, EZPW, FIS, GLW, GNRC, GT, GTI, GTLS, HCP, HEP, HRS, HW, IPGP, JBLU, KLIC, MCGC, MDC, MLM, MRK, MSO, MWV, NEE, NLSN,NOV, NTLS, NYX, ODP, OSK, OXY, PBI, PEG, PES, PFE, ROK, S, SAN,SNH, TRI, TRW, UBS, UDR, VSH, WLK, WM, WU, X, XYL
Apr. 25, 2013, 4:28 AMSantander (SAN): Q1 net profit -26% to €1.21B vs consensus of €1.31B, hurt by significant charges on property assets. Net interest income -14% to €6.65B, weighed down by low interest rates and recession in important markets. Latin America net profit -18%, U.K. -23%. Has returned €31B of estimated €35B cheap ECB loans. Expects 2013 profit to be "significantly higher" than the €2.295B earned in 2012. Shares -2.05% premarket. (PR) | Comment!
Jan. 31, 2013, 4:50 AMMore on Santander (SAN) Q4: net profit of €401M rises 8-9 fold from last year but comes in below consensus of €520M. Net interest income -5.2% to €7.15B vs forecasts of €7.3B. Bad loan ratio 4.54% at the end of December, 6.74% in Spain. For whole of 2012, sets aside €18.8B for bad debt but has now covered all of its Spanish government-enforced provisions for this purpose, so should "see a marked recovery in results" in 2013. To return €24B of cheap loans to ECB. Shares -1.7% premarket. | 3 Comments
Jan. 31, 2013, 4:18 AM
Jan. 11, 2013, 6:05 AMSantander (SAN) expects its profits to rebound this year after it finished making provisions in 2012 for debt that has gone bad because of Spain's property bust. "We expect our Spanish non-performing loans to peak at about 7% in the first half," said Chairman Emilio Botin, following which earnings will recover. In Q3, Santander's net profit plunged to €100M from €1.8B because of the write-downs. | Comment!
Oct. 25, 2012, 4:42 AMSantander (SAN): Q3 net profit -94% to €100M vs consensus of €1.21B as bank sets aside €1.14B provisions for bad loans in Spain; has now covered 90% of the government requirements. Net interest income +3% to €7.5B. Bad loans 4.3% of total lending vs 4.1% in June, core capita ratio 10.38% vs 10.1%. Brazil profit -9% to €537M, U.K. -21% to €337M. (PR) | 1 Comment
Jul. 26, 2012, 4:58 AMSantander (SAN) H1 net profit falls 51.3% to €1.7B after being forced to set aside €1.3B in provisions against real estate loans in its domestic market; has now reached 70% of the provisioning requirements set by Spanish government. Non-performing loans increased by 1.17 percentage points Y/Y to 5.98%. (PR .pdf) | 1 Comment
Apr. 26, 2012, 3:39 AM
Jan. 31, 2012, 3:11 AM
Oct. 27, 2011, 12:05 AMNotable earnings before Thursday's open: ABB, ABX, AET, AVP, AVT, AZN, BC, BEN, BG, BLL, BMY, CAH, CAM, CCE, CELG, CL, CLI, CLP, CMS, CNX, CTXS, CVE, DAN, DLR, DOW, ELN, ENDP, EQT, GR, GTI, HOT, HSY, IMAX, INCY, IP, IRM, JCI, LAZ, LM, MCO, MJN, MO, MSI, MWW, NIHD, O, ORI, OXY, PCG, PEG, PHM, POT, PTEN, RCL, REGN, RTN, SNH, SNV, STD, SWI, TKR, TWC, UAL, UTHR, VLY, WBC, WEC, WM, XEL, XOM, XRAY, YNDX, ZMH | Comment!
SAN vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR