Apr. 9, 2014, 5:05 PM
Apr. 9, 2014, 12:10 AM
Apr. 8, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jan. 13, 2014, 12:52 PM
- In an SA Pro column (embargoed until 11AM ET Tuesday), Nassarius Capital asserts Sigma Designs (SIGM +2.9%) could more than double from current levels.
- The author notes shares trade at only 2x cash (limits downside), and sees Sigma's restructuring efforts and the presence of activist investor Raging Capital acting as catalysts.
- Another activist firm, Potomac Capital, recently unloaded its Sigma position. In tandem with the move, Potomac manager Eric Singer resigned as Sigma's chairman.
Dec. 23, 2013, 10:55 AM| Comment!
Dec. 12, 2013, 12:52 PM
Dec. 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
- Sigma Designs (SIGM -17.9%) shares are selling off after the company missed expectations in Q3 and provided bleak guidance.
- CEO Thinh Tran observed on the conference call that "shipment for the majority of the new products won't begin to materialize until the first half of next year. Meanwhile, our existing product line will experience challenges in the short term." He sees demand declining for set-top boxes, DTV, and home control in Q4.
- Management guides for Q4 revenue of $40M-$44M (well below analyst expectations of $53.5M), gross margin of 59%-61%, and opex of $24.5M. Analysts currently expect EPS of $0.06.
- Following results, Needham cut its rating to Hold from Buy.
Dec. 12, 2013, 9:56 AM
- Intel (INTC +1.1%) has been upgraded to Neutral by Nomura. Citi and Drexel Hamilton upgraded shares last Friday.
- Micron (MU +2%) has been upgraded to Buy by Nomura. Shares fell yesterday following an MKM report stating SK Hynix's Wuxi, China fab will be operational sooner than expected.
- Xilinx (XLNX +1.7%) has been upgraded to Buy by Nomura. In addition, both Xilinx and rival Altera (ALTR +0.6%) have been started at Outperform by JMP.
- iRobot (IRBT +2.2%) has been upgraded to Neutral by JPMorgan.
- Synchronoss (SNCR +6.8%) has been upgraded to Strong Buy by Raymond James.
- Teradata (TDC -2%) has been cut to Sector Perform by RBC. Shares are making new 52-week lows.
- Texas Instruments (TXN -0.7%) and SanDisk (SNDK -2.3%) have been cut to Reduce by Nomura. TI provided an in-line mid-quarter update on Monday, while SanDisk fell in tandem with Micron yesterday.
- Sigma Designs (SIGM -17.8%) has been cut to Hold by Needham after missing FQ3 estimates.
- Progress Software (PRGS -7.5%) has been cut to Market Perform by JMP.
Dec. 11, 2013, 5:45 PM
Dec. 11, 2013, 12:10 AM
Dec. 10, 2013, 5:35 PM
Sep. 4, 2013, 5:31 PM
Sep. 4, 2013, 4:35 PM
- Shares of Sigma Designs (SIGM) are up 6.8% AH following the company's Q2 beat.
- Gross margin expanded to 52.2% from 51.2% in Q1 and 44.8% in Q2 2012.
- Opex fell substantially to $29.9M from $43.8M (31.7%) in Q2 2012 as Sigma restructured. R&D expense was cut by 32.9%, Sales & Marketing by 29.1%, and Sales & Marketing by 48%.
- The company provided Q3 guidance for revenue of $54M-$58M (consensus of $56.7M), gross margin of 52%-54%, and "lower" opex than in Q2.
- Conference call scheduled for 5pm ET, PR
Sep. 4, 2013, 4:14 PM
Sep. 3, 2013, 12:10 AM
Sep. 2, 2013, 5:35 PM
SIGM vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR