There are no Transcripts on SILJ.
Thu, Oct. 9, 3:58 PM
- The price of gold may be rising, but gold mining stocks are getting hammered today; after all, "they are still stocks," Barron's Johanna Bennett writes.
- Gold prices rallied today to $1,234/oz., their highest level since Sept. 23, a day after the dovish minutes from the Fed’s September policy meeting excited gold bugs, but shares of the mining companies are falling along with the broader market selloff.
- Among the top mining names: IAG -6.9%, KGC -6.2%, SLW -5.9%, NGD -5.5%, AU -4.9%, GG -4.7%, ABX -3.9%, AUY -3.9%, GFI -2.8%, BTG -2.7%, RGLD -2.6%, AGI -2.1%, GOLD -1.8%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, AGQ, IAU, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, JNUG, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, GLDX, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, JDST, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, SLVP, DGL, DBS, SILJ, DGZ, RING, OUNZ, GGGG, DGLD, AGOL, SGDM, PSAU
Wed, Oct. 8, 6:20 PM
- No investment sector benefited more today from the dovish take on the FOMC meeting minutes than precious metals miners, as the Fed's worries over weakening world economies and a strong U.S. dollar offer hope for gold bulls that the Fed will not rush to raise interest rates.
- Gold mining ETFs surged past those linked to the commodity price, with GDX +7.4% and GDXJ +9.6% while GLD +1%; among leveraged ETFs, NUGT +21.5%.
- Among major miners: BTG +14.4%, AGI +13.6%, GG +8.6%, RGLD +8.6%, SLW +8%, NGD +7.6%, IAG +7.5%, GFI +7%, AUY +6.9%, ABX +5.2%, AU +4.8%, KGC +3.5%.
- Other ETFs: SLV, AGQ, IAU, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, JNUG, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, GLDX, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, JDST, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, SLVP, DGL, DBS, GLTR, SILJ, DGZ, RING, OUNZ, GGGG, DGLD, AGOL, DBP, SGDM, WITE, PSAU
Tue, Jul. 8, 1:00 PM
- BlackRock chief investment strategist Russ Koesterich isn't buying the last month's 12% bounce in silver, attributing the move instead to the metal's typical volatility. Further, he says H1's drop in real interest rates - a boost to the metal - is unsustainable as the year goes on. "This suggests a tougher second half for precious metals, particularly for gold, which has historically had the stronger relationship with real rates.”
- He also notes the silver-to-gold price ratio as near the historical average, suggesting silver isn't mis-priced, at least as it relates to gold.
- ETFs: SLV, AGQ, USLV, SIVR, ZSL, SLVO, DSLV, DBS, USV, SIL, SLVP, SILJ
Thu, Jun. 19, 3:10 PM
- A nice-sized rally has turned into a melt-up for the precious metals and the companies that pull them out of the ground. Gold is up 3.9% to $1,319, its highest level in two months, and silver is ahead 5.7% to $20.90. GLD +3.6%, SLV +5.4%
- The gold miners (GDX +4.7%), and the silver miners (SIL +6.1%).
- A dovish interpretation of the FOMC news from yesterday makes for a nice excuse, as does the President's move to send 300 military advisers to Iraq to try and head off an all-out civil war there.
- Gold and silver ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, ZSL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, DGL, DBS, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, OUNZ, TBAR, USV, UBG, GYEN, GLDE, GLDS, GLDL, GEUR, GGBP
- Gold and silver miner ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, DUST, GLDX, JNUG, JDST, RING, GGGG, PSAU, SIL, SLVP, SILJ
Mon, Apr. 28, 1:00 PM
- "Silver has the worst story of all the metals," says Archer Financial's Adam Klopfenstein, noting plentiful supplies and its tendency to move alongside gold.
- HSBC expects a 3.4% increase in supply to 1.09B ounces this year alongside flat demand at 938M ounces. Partly fueling the supply growth are prices remaining above the all-in cost of production of $15-$17 per ounce, says the bank's Howard Wn.
- TD's Mike Dragosits, says silver ends its six-year slump in 2014, thanks to a recovering U.S. economy boosting industrial demand for the metal. A Fed being slower than expected on tightening monetary policy should also provide a boost. he says.
- ETFs: SLV, AGQ, USLV, SIVR, ZSL, DSLV, SLVO, DBS, USV, SIL, SLVP, SILJ
Tue, Apr. 22, 7:55 AM
- Gold and silver equities now appear more fairly valued, Goldman Sachs says, raising its sector coverage view to Neutral as it sees more responsible capital allocation, successful cost cutting initiatives, a refocus on maximizing free cash flow, and sound strategic portfolio optimization improving the positioning of select companies and offsetting its below-consensus outlook for commodity prices ($1,200/oz. gold from 2015 forward).
- The firm upgrades Barrick Gold (ABX) to Buy, believing the company's financial flexibility has significantly improved; ABX +1.8% premarket.
- B2Gold (BTG) is initiated with a Buy rating and C$4.20 price target, as Goldman cites imminent production growth from the Otjikoto project which enhances BTG’s free cash flow generation and should fund future development.
- Started at Neutral: AGI, FNV, BVN,.
- Maintained at Buy: GG, AUY, SLV.
- Sell: IAG, EGO, PAAS.
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, JNUG, SLVP, RING, SILJ, JDST, GGGG, PSAU
Tue, Mar. 25, 11:39 AM
- Silver prices below $20/oz. should worry some investors, as several miners may need to adjust their plans if spot prices weaken further, Dundee's Chris Lichtenheldt says as he breaks down how specific companies will be impacted.
- The analyst says Coeur Mining (CDE) is an ideal sell or short candidate, Endeavour Silver (EXK) is essentially breakeven at $19 silver, and Silver Standard (SSRI) has been a top performer YTD but is a high-cost operator.
- As for Dundee's potential winners: Tahoe Resources (TAHO) is a low-cost operator with a best-in-class asset, Silver Wheaton's (SLW) balance sheet is solid above $15 silver, and Pan American Silver's (PAAS) strong balance sheet should provide a cushion as higher-cost operations have improved.
- ETFs: SIL, SLVP, SILJ
Tue, Mar. 18, 5:56 PM
- Silver miners have soared YTD, far outgaining the metal's modest ~10% rise so far and even rising more than gold miners, and CIBC analysts say the shares appear to be "pushing valuation limits."
- While some of the strength in silver equities may have come from expectations that silver will outperform gold after underperforming YTD, the firm is not convinced this actually will happen as it sees potentially disappointing industrial demand for silver; investment demand would need to rise significantly to keep the market from moving into a material surplus in 2014 and after.
- Among individual silver mining stocks, the firm downgrades Fortuna Silver Mines (FSM) to Sector Perform from Sector Outperform but raises Pan Am Silver (PAAS) to Sector Perform from Sector Underperform, noting PAAS' strong organic growth potential and its progress in cutting costs and boosting cash flow.
- ETFs: SLV, AGQ, SIL, SIVR, USLV, ZSL, DSLV, SLVP, DBS, SLVO, SILJ, USV
Mon, Mar. 3, 9:55 AM
- Gold futures are surging in the wake of the crisis in Ukraine, and that's giving precious metals miners a big boost in early trading.
- AU +5.2%, GOLD +5%, GFI +4.6%, MUX +4.1%, BVN +3.9%, MVG +3.6%, SSRI +3.3%, IAG +3.2%, BTG +3.1%, HMY +3.1%, EXK +3.1%, ABX +2.8%, AUY +2.8%, SA +2.8%, SLW +2.7%, GG +2.7%, NEM +2.6%, HL +2.6%, KGC +2.3%, AGI +2.2%, AG +1.9%, NG +1.9%, PPP +1.8%, AUQ +1.6%, PAAS +1.2%, NGD +1%.
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, JNUG, SLVP, RING, SILJ, GGGG, JDST, PSAU
Tue, Feb. 11, 11:54 AM
- Also enjoying the Yellen testimony (and her tenure thus far) is gold, ahead another 1.2% and $10 shy of taking out $1,300 per ounce for the first time since early November.
- The QE exit is easier said than done, says Peter Boockvar. "I remain of the belief that just as QE helped markets in 2013, the reduced pace of it will be the headwind in 2014 which will eventually lead to a QE pause that will prove to all that the Fed is stuck in this vicious cycle of ease."
- "3.5%, 21%, 38%," writes Barron's Brendan Conway, tallying (in order) today's gain in the gold miners (GDX), the YTD gain in the gold miners, and the YTD gain in the highly speculative junior silver miners (SILJ).
- Related ETFs: GLD, GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, IAU, DUST, PHYS, SIL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, GLDX, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, SLVP, JNUG, DGZ, AGOL, GLDI, RING, DGLD, GGGG, SILJ, PSAU, JDST, TBAR, UBG
Mon, Feb. 3, 10:26 AM
- Gold is up 1.8% to $1,262 per ounce and silver 1.9% to $19.49 following the big miss in the ISM report as traders contemplate maybe a slowdown in the taper, and some bulls dream about a QE4. Up 1.5% at the moment the Gold Miners ETF is ahead 12.9% YTD.
- The 10-year Treasury yield is off 3 basis points to 2.62% and the December 2016 Eurodollar contract is up 9 basis points to 97.99 - suggesting a slower pace of rate hikes, but still pricing in a Fed Funds rate 175 basis points higher than it is today.
- Gold and sliver-related ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, PHYS, DUST, SIL, SIVR, USLV, ZSL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, GLDX, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, DSLV, DBS, SLVP, GLTR, DGZ, AGOL, JNUG, DBP, DGLD, GLDI, RING, GGGG, SLVO, WITE, SILJ, PSAU, JDST, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, RGRP, BLNG
Wed, Jan. 29, 9:49 AM
- As equities open in a broad-based decline, precious metals miners show early strength: ABX +4.1%, NG +4.1%, EXK +3.7%, GG +3.7%, IAG +3.3%, SA +2.9%, AG +2.8%, SSRI +3.1%, AUY +2.7%, GOLD +2.5%, NEM +2.3%, MVG +2.3%, SLW +2.2%, PAAS +2.2%, AU +2.1%, KGC +2.2% (Briefing.com).
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, PHYS, DUST, SIL, SIVR, USLV, ZSL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, GLDX, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, DSLV, DBS, SLVP, GLTR, DGZ, AGOL, DBP, JNUG, DGLD, GLDI, RING, GGGG, SLVO, WITE, SILJ, PSAU, TBAR, JDST, USV, UBG, JJP, RGRP, BLNG.
Mon, Jan. 13, 12:18 PM| Comment!
Fri, Jan. 10, 3:49 PM
- Gold futures settle at a four-week high, rising 1.4% to $1,246.90, as the surprisingly weak jobs report reopens debate over the pace of bond buying at the Fed; precious metals miners are far outpacing the broader market, with the top gold miner ETF (GDX) surging 3%.
- Among the top miners: ABX +2.3%, GG +3.3%, NEM +2.4%, AU +3.8%, KGC +1.3%, GFI +4.3%, AUY +2.8%, RGLD +5.3%, AGI +2%, AEM +4.5%, SLW +4.4%, IAG +1.9%, FNV +1.5%, CDE +2.3%, EGO +3.8%, NGD +2.9%, NG +6.9%, HMY +2.7%.
- ETFs: GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SLVP, RING, GGGG, SILJ, JNUG, PSAU, JDST.
Wed, Jan. 8, 12:42 PM
- Moody’s is reducing its forward view for the average price of gold and silver in 2014 and beyond to $1,100/oz and $18/oz, respectively, dealing another blow to a precious metals sector already reeling from high costs and low investor confidence.
- The decision means Moody’s likely will take a harsher view of the prospects of the companies whose debt it rates, potentially leading to rating downgrades and higher borrowing costs for miners.
- Moody's rates most of the largest gold producers including Barrick Gold (ABX -1.8%), Newmont Mining (NEM -1.6%), AngloGold (AU -2.1%), Goldcorp (GG -1.5%) and Kinross (KGC -1.1%); ABX and AU already are on a negative outlook from the agency.
- Fundamentals "seem unfavorable over the next couple of years as the global economy maintains forward momentum, governments unwind various stimulus programs, and the threat of inflation remains subdued in most major economies," Moody's writes.
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, GLDX, RING, GGGG, JNUG, PSAU, JDST, SIL, SLVP, SILJ.
Thu, Jan. 2, 3:17 PM
- Gold is having its biggest day in three weeks, up 1.8% to $1,224 per ounce, and silver is higher by 3.3%, with optimism about boosted demand from Asia as good of an excuse as any for the rally.
- Chatter from India about the rate hike cycle not just being over, but about to go into reverse is helping, as is a New Year's Eve move by the RBI to loosen control over gold imports.
- GLD +1.7%, SLV +3.1%
- The miners get off on the right foot in 2014 as well: GDX +3.8%, SIL +3.3%.
- Related ETFs: GLD, SLV, IAU, AGQ, PHYS, SIVR, PPLT, USLV, PALL, ZSL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, DBS, DSLV, DGZ, PTM, AGOL, GLDI, DGLD, SLVO, PGM, TBAR, USV, UBG, GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SLVP, GGGG, RING, SILJ, JNUG, PSAU, JDST
SILJ vs. ETF Alternatives
The PureFunds ISE Junior Silver ETF was created to bring silver mining and exploration exposure of small cap companies to institutional and retail investors alike. These companies are looking for the next big silver deposit and can benefit from the production of metal rich mines or becoming a takeover target. The Fund seeks to provide investment results that, before fees and expenses, correspond generally to the price and yield performance of the ISE Junior Silver (Small Cap Miners/Explorers) Index.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Other News & PR