Mon, Apr. 27, 7:03 PM
- Silicon Motion (NASDAQ:SIMO) expects Q2 revenue to be up 5%-10% Q/Q. That implies a range of $84.6M-$88.7M vs. an $85.7M consensus. Full-year revenue is expected to be up 17%-25% Y/Y; consensus is for 22.5% growth.
- Though officially beating consensus, Q1 revenue of $80.6M matched guidance (provided in SIMO's April 8 pre-announcement) for sales to be roughly flat from a Q4 level of $80.5M.
- SIMO: "Our first quarter revenue benefited from strong client SATA 3 SSD controller sales momentum and stable eMMC controller sales. Client SSD controller sales doubled sequentially ... we expect a new major SSD program with our controllers, again for both channel and OEM markets, to begin shipping in the second quarter. Our storage OEM partner began shipping SSDs to three global tier-1 PC OEMs in the first quarter and recently started shipping to two additional OEMs."
- Mobile storage (flash controller) sales rose 41% Y/Y to $63.6M. Mobile communications (4G transceiver and TV IC) sales rose 176% to $15.2M. Gross margin (non-GAAP) was 52% vs. 52.5% in Q4 and 48.6% a year ago. Op. margin was 24.1% vs. 26% in Q4 and 16.7% a year ago. Q2 GM guidance is at 50%-52%; full-year GM guidance is still at 49.5%-51.5%.
- Shares have risen to $31.70 AH. They fell hard on Friday after SIMO announced it's buying Chinese SSD/storage array vendor Shannon Systems and (perhaps more importantly) Northland Securities reported SK Hynix is planning to launch its own UFS 2.0 flash controllers.
Mon, Apr. 27, 6:03 PM| Comment!
Sun, Apr. 26, 5:35 PM
Wed, Apr. 8, 9:16 AM
- Silicon Motion (NASDAQ:SIMO) expects Q1 revenue to be roughly flat Q/Q, putting it at the high end of guidance for flat to -5% growth; consensus is for revenue to fall 3% Q/Q to $78.4M.
- Likewise, gross margin is expected to be in a 51%-52% range; guidance was at 50%-52%. GM was at 52.5% in Q4 and 48.6% in Q1 2014.
- Shares have risen to $29.00 premarket, just $1.50 below their 52-week high. Full Q1 results arrive on April 27.
Mon, Jan. 26, 6:59 PM
- Silicon Motion (NASDAQ:SIMO) expects Q1 revenue to be flat to down 5% Q/Q. That implies a range of $76.5M-$80.5M, mostly above a $76.9M consensus.
- For the whole of 2015, SIMO expects revenue to grow 15%-25%; consensus is for 21.1% growth.
- Q4 gross margin was 52.5%, down from 52.9% in Q3 but up from 48.8% a year ago. GM is expected to fall to 50%-52% in Q1, and be in a 49.5%-51.5% range for the whole of 2015 (down from 2014's 51.8%).
- Embedded storage IC sales rose 70% Y/Y in Q4, driven by eMMC and client SSD controller demand. eMMC now makes up 40% of total revenue. Micron is an SSD controller client, and three tier-1 PC OEMs are using SSDs featuring SIMO's controllers.
- Operating expenses rose 58% Y/Y to $21.4M. SIMO had $195.2M in cash/investments at quarter's end, and no debt.
- Shares are at $25.60 in AH trading.
- Q4 results, PR
Mon, Jan. 26, 6:08 PM| 1 Comment
Sun, Jan. 25, 5:35 PM
Thu, Jan. 8, 10:51 AM| Comment!
Oct. 29, 2014, 7:04 PM
- Silicon Motion (NASDAQ:SIMO) expects revenue in seasonally weaker Q4 to be down 5%-10% Q/Q. That implies a range of $77.8M-$82.2M, mostly above a $77.9M consensus. Expectations had risen following SIMO's Oct. 7 guidance hike.
- Gross margin rose to 52.9% in Q3 from 52.2% in Q2 and 48.8% a year ago. GM is expected to fall to the 50%-52% range in Q4.
- GAAP opex rose 63% Y/Y to $26.7M; R&D spend accounted for $17.7M of the total.
- The chipmaker says it's "well positioned for 2015 based on our growing pipeline of design wins" in the eMMC (NAND flash) and SSD controller markets.
- Q3 results, PR
Oct. 29, 2014, 6:03 PM| Comment!
Oct. 7, 2014, 9:12 AM
- Silicon Motion (NASDAQ:SIMO) now expects Q3 revenue to be up 23%-25% Q/Q, above prior guidance for 15%-20% growth.
- Gross margin is expected to be in a 52%-53% range, above prior guidance of 50%-52%. Q2 GM was 52.2%.
- Full Q3 results arrive on Oct. 29. SIMO has been seeing strong demand for its eMMC NAND flash controllers from Android OEMs, an has also been growing sales of SSD controllers and 4G RF transceivers.
Jul. 28, 2014, 6:37 PM
- Silicon Motion (NASDAQ:SIMO) expects Q3 revenue to be up 15%-20% Q/Q. That's well above a consensus for revenue to grow 3% Q/Q to $71.7M. The chipmaker also now expects 22%-27% full-year revenue growth, above a 16.7% consensus.
- Q2 revenue was in-line with SIMO's revised guidance. SSD/embedded revenue grew over 55% Q/Q, and made up "well over 50%" of total revenue. Within the segment, eMMC controller revenue grew 65%. SIMO asserts its eMMC controllers are now used by all top-10 smartphone OEMs not named Apple.
- The company has also begun shipping its LTE-Advanced RF transceiver to its Korean phone partner (Samsung?), and says it has scored two more LTE-Advanced design wins with the partner.
- SSD controller revenue grew rapidly, and a new SSD platform win was scored with a PC OEM that will go into production in 1H15. The company also expects multiple program wins with SSD vendors to ramp in 1H15.
- Q2 gross margin was 52.2%, up from 48.6% in Q1 and 48.4% a year ago. GM is expected be in a 50%-52% range in Q3, and a 49.5%-51.5% range for the whole of 2014.
- Q2 results, PR
Jul. 28, 2014, 6:05 PM| Comment!
Jul. 27, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jul. 7, 2014, 9:43 AM
- Silicon Motion (SIMO) now expects Q2 revenue to be up 30%-32% Q/Q, well above prior guidance for 10%-15% growth. The consensus is for revenue to grow 11.7% Q/Q to $59M.
- Q2 gross margin guidance has been hiked to 51%-52% from 48%-50%. SIMO previously also guided for a full-year GM of 48%-50%.
- Healthy industry-wide NAND flash demand likely gave a lift to SIMO's NAND controller sales.
- Shares have made new 52-week highs. Full Q2 results are due on July 28.
Apr. 29, 2014, 12:00 PM
- Silicon Motion (SIMO -6.3%) expects Q2 revenue to be up 10%-15% Q/Q; that's largely favorable to a consensus for 10.7% growth. But in spite of the Q2 forecast and strong Q1 sales, the chipmaker is merely reiterating full-year guidance for 5%-15% Y/Y growth (consensus is at 10.4%).
- As forecast in its April 7 pre-announcement, SIMO's Q1 revenue was near the high end of its guidance range, and its gross margin (48.8%, -20 bps Q/Q and +780 bps Y/Y) at the low end.
- Both Q2 and full-year GM are expected to be in a range of 48%-50%. Opex guidance has been raised to $74M-$79M from a prior $70M-$75M.
- SIMO says it has converted the majority of its eMMC NAND flash controller sales to the relatively advanced eMMC 4.5 standard, and has begun mass-producing controllers supporting the next-gen eMMC 5.0 standard.
- The company also claims solid module/OEM design win activity for its SSD controllers, and says a Korean OEM (presumably Samsung or LG) has adopted SIMO's LTE-Advanced transceiver for a phone design.
- Q1 results, PR
SIMO vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR