Tue, Aug. 18, 5:41 PM
- SINA is nearly unchanged after hours after beating Q2 estimates; as was the case last quarter, no guidance has been given in the earnings report. Sina-controlled Weibo (NASDAQ:WB) is up 1.2% after beating Q2 estimates and guiding for Q3 revenue of $120M-$123M, in-line with a $121.9M consensus.
- Weibo monthly active users (MAUs) rose 7% Q/Q and 36% Y/Y to 212M. Daily active users (DAUs) rose 4% Q/Q and 34% Y/Y to 93M. Mobile MAUs equaled 85% of total MAUs vs. 86% in Q1.
- Sina: Online ad revenue (boosted by Weibo) rose 13% Y/Y to $176.3M. Non-ad revenue (non-GAAP) rose 21% to $34.7M. Gross margin was 60% vs. 58% in Q1 and 61% a year ago. Operating expenses (non-GAAP) rose 3% to $120.1M.
- Weibo: Ad revenue rose 47% Y/Y to $87.9M. Value-added service revenue rose 13% to $20M. Costs/expenses (non-GAAP) rose 16% to $98.1M.
- Sina: Q2 results, PR. Weibo: Q2 results, PR.
Tue, Aug. 18, 4:31 PM
Mon, Aug. 17, 5:35 PM
Thu, May 14, 5:40 PM
- SINA is up 1.5% AH to $43.34 after posting a healthy Q1 beat aided slower spending growth; the company didn't provide guidance in its earnings release. Majority-owned Weibo (NASDAQ:WB) is down 3.6% to $16.45 after providing soft Q2 guidance - revenue of $102M-$105M, below a $111.4M consensus - to go with a Q1 revenue beat an in-line EPS.
- Weibo states the Q2 outlook assumes revenue related to "certain planned initiatives with Alibaba" set to begin in Q2 won't be recognized until 2H15.
- Sina's Q1 ad sales rose 8% Y/Y to $150.4M, with a $27.3M increase in Weibo ad sales offsetting a $12.7M drop in portal ad sales (share loss). Non-ad revenue was nearly flat at $31.6M.
- After rising 34% Y/Y in Q4, Sina's operating expenses only rose 15% in Q1 to $119.6M. Gross margin fell 200 bps Y/Y to 58%.
- Weibo's ad/marketing revenue rose 53% to $79.2M; value-added service revenue rose 9% to $17.1M. Costs/expenses rose 30% to $94.7M.
- Weibo monthly active users rose a healthy 13% Q/Q and 38% Y/Y to 198M, with mobile MAUs equaling 86% of total MAUs. Daily active users rose 10% Q/Q and 34% Y/Y to 89M.
- Sina: Q1 results, PR. Weibo: Q1 results, PR.
Thu, May 14, 4:31 PM
Wed, May 13, 5:35 PM
Tue, Mar. 10, 5:07 PM
- Though it beat Q4 estimates, SINA is guiding for 2015 revenue of $800M-$900M; the midpoint is below an $884.6M consensus. Majority-owned Weibo (NASDAQ:WB) is guiding for Q1 revenue of $93M-$96M vs. a $94.4M consensus.
- The companies have announced Sina CFO Herman Yu will become Weibo's CFO, and Weibo CFO Bonnie Zhang will become Sina's CFO.
- With Weibo providing a boost, Sina's ad revenue rose 14% Y/Y in Q4 to $181.9M. Non-advertising revenue (non-GAAP) fell 18% to $26.6M, with a $4.8M drop in mobile value-added service (VAS) revenue offsetting a $1.9M increase in Weibo VAS revenue.
- Sina's gross margin was 65%, up from 63% in Q3 and 64% a year ago. Operating expenses rose 34% Y/Y to $132.9M (compares with just 7% revenue growth).
- Weibo's Q4 revenue beat was driven by a 57% Y/Y increase in ad/marketing service revenue to $88M; VAS revenue rose 12% to $17.2M. Costs/expenses rose 40% to $95.5M (compares with 47% revenue growth).
- Weibo monthly active users rose 5% Q/Q and 36% Y/Y to 175.7M. Daily active users rose 5% Q/Q and 31% Y/Y to 80.6M.
- SINA +0.8% AH to $36.50; shares went into earnings less than $2 away from a 52-week low of $34.89. WB -1.8% to $14.61 after rising 2.2% in regular trading.
- Sina: Q4 results, PR. Weibo: Q4 results, PR.
Tue, Mar. 10, 4:33 PM
Mon, Mar. 9, 5:35 PM
Nov. 13, 2014, 4:52 PM
- Though it beat Q3 estimates, SINA expects Q4 revenue of $204M-$210M, below a $214.8M consensus. On the other hand, majority-owned Weibo (NASDAQ:WB) expects Q4 revenue of $102M-$105M, above a $100.6M consensus.
- Thanks to Weibo, Sina's Q3 ad revenue rose 10% Y/Y to $166.8M, and its non-ad revenue rose 3% to $29.2M. However, portal ad revenue fell by $6.5M Y/Y, and mobile value-added service revenue fell by $7.4M.
- Sina's Q3 gross margin was 63%, +200 bps Q/Q and -100 bps Y/Y. Opex rose 40% Y/Y to $127.1M, handily exceeding revenue growth of 9%.
- Weibo's ad/marketing revenue rose 50% Y/Y to $65.4M, and its value-added services revenue (boosted by its Alibaba partnership) 93% to $18.8M. Costs/expenses rose 51% to $87.8M, slightly trailing revenue growth of $84.1M.
- Weibo monthly active users rose 7% Q/Q and 36% Y/Y to 167M. Daily active users rose 10% Q/Q and 30% Y/Y to 76.6M.
- Sina: Q3 results, PR. Weibo: Q3 results, PR.
Nov. 13, 2014, 4:33 PM
Nov. 12, 2014, 5:35 PM
Aug. 14, 2014, 6:05 PM
- SINA expects Q3 revenue of $193M-$199M, below a $199.1M consensus. Subsidiary Weibo (NASDAQ:WB) expects Q3 revenue of $79M-$82M, in-line with an $80.2M consensus.
- Sina's online ad revenue rose 29% Y/Y in Q2 to $184.4M, while its non-ad revenue fell 11% to $28.6M thanks to a $13.6M drop mobile value-added service revenue. The revenue figures include contributions from Weibo.
- Sina's gross margin rose to 61% from 60% in Q1 and 54% a year ago. Opex rose 55% Y/Y (well above rev. growth of 19%) to $116.9M thanks to heavy marketing and R&D investments.
- Weibo's ad/marketing revenue rose 99% Y/Y to $59.6M, and its value-added service revenue rose 130% to $17.7M. Costs/expenses rose 18% (less than rev. growth of 105%) to $87.8M.
- Weibo's monthly active users rose 9% Q/Q and 30% Y/Y to 156.5M. Daily active users rose 5% Q/Q and 32% Y/Y to 69.7M.
- Low expectations appear to be helping Sina out.
- Sina: Q2 results, PR. Weibo: Q2 results, PR.
Aug. 14, 2014, 5:02 PM
Aug. 13, 2014, 5:35 PM
May 21, 2014, 5:28 PM
- SINA expects Q2 revenue of $177M-$182M, soundly below a $197.7M consensus.
- Weibo (WB), 57%-owned by Sina following its IPO, expects Q2 revenue of $74M-$76M, below a $77.9M consensus. The microblogging leader (revenue +161% Y/Y) accounted for 40% of Sina's Q1 revenue of $167.3M.
- Sina's online ad revenue (inc. Weibo) rose 44% Y/Y in Q1 to $135.7M, while its non-ad revenue rose 17% to $31.6M.
- Gross margin was 60% vs. 64% in Q4 and 51% a year ago, and opex rose 50% Y/Y to $104.4M (exceeding rev. growth of 38%).
- Weibo's ad/marketing revenue rose 161% Y/Y to $51.9M, and its value-added service revenue grew 120% to $15.7M. Display ad growth boosted the former figure, as did promoted Weibo feeds and e-commerce ads stemming from the company's Alibaba partnership.
- Weibo's costs/expenses rose 76% Y/Y to $73.1M. Monthly active users (MAUs) rose by 14.7M Q/Q to 129.1M, and daily active users by 5.2M to 66.6M.
- Sina: Q1 results, PR. Weibo: Q1 results, PR
SINA vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR