Yesterday, 5:50 PM
Yesterday, 5:38 PM
Tue, Mar. 3, 3:31 PM
- Calling the deal the first of its kind in North America, Sun Life (SLF -0.3%) creates a insurance agreement with BCE covering $4B in pension liabilities in which the insurer will take on the telco's "longevity risk," i.e. the higher payout obligations which come from pensioners living longer than expected.
- Under the terms of the deal, BCO's Bell Canada Pension Plan will make monthly payments to Sun Life, which in return will make monthly outlays into the plan for as long as current pensioners live.
- Press release
Thu, Feb. 12, 10:24 AM
- Q4 operating income of $511M or $0.83 per share vs. $642M and $1.05 one year ago (all Canadian dollars). Underlying net income from continuing operations of $360M or $0.59 per share vs. $375M and $0.61, and well shy of analyst forecasts for $0.78.
- Operating ROE falls to 12.6% from 17.7%.
- CEO Dean Connor: "Despite a challenging fourth quarter, and we are on track to exceed our 2015 earnings objective ... Earnings growth was negatively impacted by market factors, policyholder experience and Group Benefits morbidity."
- Quarterly payout remains unchanged at $0.36 per share, making it nearly seven years without a boost.
- Macquarie downgrades Sun Life (SLF -5.1%) to Neutral from Outperform.
- Previously: Sun Life Financial's Q4 (Feb. 11)
Wed, Feb. 11, 5:23 PM
Wed, Feb. 11, 5:22 PM
Tue, Feb. 10, 5:35 PM
- ABCO, ACHC, AEM, AMAT, AMBR, AUY, BIDU, CAKE, CJES, CPA, CRAY, CSCO, CSOD, CTL, CVA, CXW, CYS, DDR, DIOD, EFC, EFX, EXL, FET, FEYE, FORR, GAS, HIVE, HNI, HOS, IO, ITRI, LPSN, MET, NSIT, NTAP, NTWK, NU, NVDA, OII, PNRA, PPC, QDEL, REG, SCSS, SKX, SLF, SPRT, STMP, SWM, TAL, TCX, TRIP, TSLA, TSO, TTGT, WFM, ZEN, ZU
Wed, Jan. 28, 9:39 AM
- Founded in 1988 and based in NYC, Ryan Labs Asset Management specializes in liability driven investing and total return fixed income strategies, and has about $5.1B in AUM. Sun Life's (NYSE:SLF) purchase of the company is expected to close this quarter.
- Sun Life started its third-party business in Canada last year, and this purchase will extend its footprint in the U.S.
- Source: Press Release
Tue, Jan. 6, 3:30 PM
- It's been a rough start to the year for the group as investors - who had bid up the names at least partly in hope of higher interest rates giving a boost to returns - rethink those assumptions yet again as the 10-year Treasury yield tumbles below 2%.
- MetLife (MET -2.5%), Prudential (PRU -1.5%), Manulife (MFC -2.2%), Sun Life (SLF -3.2%), Lincoln National (LNC -2.8%), Primerica (PRI -1.5%), Voya Financial (VOYA -2.1%).
Nov. 5, 2014, 5:59 PM
Nov. 5, 2014, 5:48 PM
Oct. 15, 2014, 10:49 AM
- Bank earnings models will no doubt need to be tweaked as the sure thing of higher rates becomes somewhat less sure, with the 10-year U.S. Treasury yield plunging all the way down to 2%, and 30-day Fed Funds futures - just weeks ago pricing in 100% chance of a rate hike by June 2015 - now sees no move until December 2015.
- The XLF is lower by 1.9% and the Regional Banking ETF (NYSEARCA:KRE) is down 2.1% (the S&P 500 is off a mere 1.1%). Among individual names, KeyCorp (KEY -6.4%), First Bancorp (FBP -6.4%), Regions Financial (RF -4%), U.S. Bancorp (USB -2.2%), Fifth Third (FITB -2.6%), Bank of America (BAC -4%), Citigroup (C -3.3%), JPMorgan (JPM -2.8%), Wells Fargo (WFC -1.9%).
- Financial ETFs: XLF, FAS, FAZ, UYG, KRE, VFH, KBE, IYF, IAT, SEF, IYG, FXO, FNCL, KBWB, RKH, QABA, FINU, KRU, RWW, KBWR, RYF, FINZ, KRS
- Life insurers were also waiting on higher rates and they're slipping more than the averages as well. MetLife (MET -3.7%), Prudential (PRU -2.9%), Manulife (MFC -3.5%) Sun Life (SLF -3.4%), Lincoln Financial (LNC -3.9%).
- Insurance ETFs: KIE, IAK, KBWP, KBWI
- Previously: BofA call: Assumption about higher rates not so sure anymore
Aug. 7, 2014, 10:22 AM
- Underlying net income from continuing operations of $499M or $0.81 per share vs. $373M and $0.62 a year ago. Underlying ROE of 12.9%. Dividend of $0.36.
- Individual Insurance & Wealth unit insurance sales of $75M up 14% from a year ago, individual wealth sales of $1.1B up 23%.
- MFS Investment Management AUM of $439B up 24%, with net sales of $17B and asset appreciation of $68.2B.
- Previously: Sun Life Financial EPS of $0.81
- SLF +0.9%
Aug. 6, 2014, 7:27 PM
Aug. 6, 2014, 5:17 PM
Jun. 26, 2014, 7:42 AM| 1 Comment
SLF vs. ETF Alternatives
Sun Life Financial Inc provides diversified financial services. It offers savings, life and health insurance, and retirement and pension products to individuals and groups through its operations in Canada, United States, United Kingdom and Asia.
Other News & PR