Mar. 20, 2014, 5:25 PM
Mar. 20, 2014, 5:10 PM| Comment!
Mar. 20, 2014, 12:10 AM
Mar. 19, 2014, 5:35 PM
Mar. 3, 2014, 9:55 AM
- Gold futures are surging in the wake of the crisis in Ukraine, and that's giving precious metals miners a big boost in early trading.
- AU +5.2%, GOLD +5%, GFI +4.6%, MUX +4.1%, BVN +3.9%, MVG +3.6%, SSRI +3.3%, IAG +3.2%, BTG +3.1%, HMY +3.1%, EXK +3.1%, ABX +2.8%, AUY +2.8%, SA +2.8%, SLW +2.7%, GG +2.7%, NEM +2.6%, HL +2.6%, KGC +2.3%, AGI +2.2%, AG +1.9%, NG +1.9%, PPP +1.8%, AUQ +1.6%, PAAS +1.2%, NGD +1%.
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, JNUG, SLVP, RING, SILJ, GGGG, JDST, PSAU
Feb. 28, 2014, 11:59 AM
- HudBay Minerals (HBM +3.4%) CEO David Garofalo tears into the management at takeover target Augusta Resources (AZC +1.6%), calling the company "essentially insolvent" and warning that its shareholders were at risk without a quick wrap-up in permitting for its Rosemont copper project.
- AZC said this week that it expects to receive its final required permit for Rosemont in H1 of this year, while HBM contends the permitting process will take much longer and could cause serious liquidity problems, noting that a $109M loan comes due in July.
- AZC "really [has] no money, they have significant debt, and that debt is coming due very soon," Garofalo says, adding that two permits AZC has obtained are facing legal challenges, which could delay planned funding from Silver Wheaton (SLW).
Jan. 29, 2014, 9:49 AM
- As equities open in a broad-based decline, precious metals miners show early strength: ABX +4.1%, NG +4.1%, EXK +3.7%, GG +3.7%, IAG +3.3%, SA +2.9%, AG +2.8%, SSRI +3.1%, AUY +2.7%, GOLD +2.5%, NEM +2.3%, MVG +2.3%, SLW +2.2%, PAAS +2.2%, AU +2.1%, KGC +2.2% (Briefing.com).
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, PHYS, DUST, SIL, SIVR, USLV, ZSL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, GLDX, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, DSLV, DBS, SLVP, GLTR, DGZ, AGOL, DBP, JNUG, DGLD, GLDI, RING, GGGG, SLVO, WITE, SILJ, PSAU, TBAR, JDST, USV, UBG, JJP, RGRP, BLNG.
Jan. 10, 2014, 3:49 PM
- Gold futures settle at a four-week high, rising 1.4% to $1,246.90, as the surprisingly weak jobs report reopens debate over the pace of bond buying at the Fed; precious metals miners are far outpacing the broader market, with the top gold miner ETF (GDX) surging 3%.
- Among the top miners: ABX +2.3%, GG +3.3%, NEM +2.4%, AU +3.8%, KGC +1.3%, GFI +4.3%, AUY +2.8%, RGLD +5.3%, AGI +2%, AEM +4.5%, SLW +4.4%, IAG +1.9%, FNV +1.5%, CDE +2.3%, EGO +3.8%, NGD +2.9%, NG +6.9%, HMY +2.7%.
- ETFs: GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SLVP, RING, GGGG, SILJ, JNUG, PSAU, JDST.
Dec. 19, 2013, 9:58 AM
- Precious metals stocks are slammed at the open from weakening prices for underlying metals, and the Market Vectors Gold Miner ETF (GDX -2.1%) opens at a new 52-week low.
- GFI -2.8%, AUY -2.4%, AU -3.8%, RGLD -2.7%, NEM -3.1%, ABX -2.1%, GG -2.4%, AGI -3.2%, AEM -2.3%, SLW -2.6%, KGC -1.9%, FNV -1.6%, CDE -1.5%, EGO -1.5%, NGD -1.2%, HMY -1.2%.
- ETFs: GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SLVP, GGGG, RING, SILJ, PSAU, JNUG, JDST.
Dec. 11, 2013, 2:42 PM
- Gold producers' balance sheets appear relatively stable with gold prices at ~$1,250/oz. but would weaken further on lower prices, TD Securities says in an analysis of miners' sensitivity to changes in gold prices.
- At $1,100/oz, companies with the highest forecast ratio of net debt to total capitalization include Barrick Gold (ABX -2.5%), Newmont Mining (NEM -1.9%), Agnico Eagle Mines (AEM -2.5%) and Detour Gold (DRGDF +3.3%).
- TD's top picks include Eldorado (EGO -3.1%), Goldcorp (GG -1.5%), B2Gold (BTG -3.7%), Primero Mining (PPP -0.6%) and Silver Wheaton (SLW -2%).
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, GLDX, GGGG, RING, PSAU, JNUG, JDST.
Dec. 5, 2013, 6:17 PM
- Alexco Resources (AXU) +2.4% AH after releasing a preliminary economic assessment for expanded silver production from the eastern part of its Keno Hill Silver District in Yukon.
- AXU projects average annual delivery of 3.1M oz. of payable silver, 6.8M lbs. of lead, 6.6M lbs. of zinc and 1,050 oz. of gold from ~150K metric tons/year of consolidated mine and mill production.
- AXU's forecast 38% internal rate of return includes its silver purchase agreement with Silver Wheaton (SLW); initial capital requirements are ~$25M.
Dec. 2, 2013, 3:25 PM
- The Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX -5.5%) plunges to a fresh five-year low thanks to the newest PMI manufacturing data, which climbed to the highest reading since 2011; BTIG analyst Dan Greenhaus calls the data "stunning,” and bad for precious metals.
- Comex gold dropped $28.50, or 2.3%, to settle at $1,221.90 for its lowest close since July; the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) is down 2.5% to kick off December’s trading.
- Silver slumped 3.7% to $19.29, also the lowest since July.
- ABX -5.3%, NEM -3.8%, GG -4.6%, KGC -3.4%, GFI -3.5%, NGD -8.2%, EGO -7.5%, AEM -7%, AUY -5.5%, AGI -8.9%, SLW -5.7%.
- Other ETFs: GDXJ, NUGT, IAU, PHYS, DUST, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, GLDX, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, DGZ, AGOL, GLDI, DGLD, GGGG, RING, PSAU, TBAR, JNUG, UBG, JDST, SLV, AGQ, SIVR, ZSL, USLV, DBS, DSLV, SLVO, USV.
Nov. 11, 2013, 8:24 AM
- Silver Wheaton (SLW) reported record Q3 attributable silver equiv. production of 8.9M oz. vs. 7.6M oz. in the year-ago quarter, up 17% Y/Y; average realized sale price per silver equiv. oz. was $21.26 vs $31.36 a year ago. (Q3 earnings)
- Q3 total revenues rose 3.2% Y/Y to $166.4M but missed consensus by ~$21M, due largely to the 32% drop in the average realized silver equiv. price.
- Average cash costs were $4.73 per silver equiv. oz. vs. $4.16 a year ago, primarily due to an increase in gold sales (35.3K oz. in Q3 2013 vs. 6.9K oz. in Q3 2012) associated with Hudbay's 777 mine and Vale's Sudbury and Salobo mines; the average cash cost per gold oz. was $386, or $6.30 per silver equiv. oz., reducing margins 39% Y/Y.
- Shares -0.4% premarket.
- ETFs: SIL, SLVP, SLV, AGQ, SIVR, ZSL, USLV, DBS, DSLV, SLVO, USV
Nov. 11, 2013, 7:07 AM
Nov. 11, 2013, 6:32 AM
Nov. 11, 2013, 12:05 AM
SLW vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR