5d 1m 3m 1y 5y 10y
There are no Focus articles on SMLV.
There are no Transcripts on SMLV.
There are no News articles on SMLV.
SMLV vs. ETF Alternatives
The SPDR Russell 2000® Low Volatility ETF (the "Fund") seeks to provide investment results that, before fees and expenses, correspond generally to the total return performance of an index that tracks the performance of the U.S. small capitalization low volatility market.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Country: United States
- In Your Portfolio: Core Building Blocks: A Guide to ETFs That Divide the U.S. Stock Market by Market Cap, A Guide to Strategy ETFs
- Asset Class Performance: Strategies, Market Cap
Thursday, Apr 1011:09 AM
Thursday, Apr 1011:09 AM| 6 Comments
- The DJIA (DIA -0.4%) is off only marginally, but the Nasdaq 100 (QQQ -1.4%) and Russell 2000 (IWM -1.8%) are again suffering sharp falls in mid-morning action. Hit particularly hard again is the biotech sector (IBB -3.4%), and money is flowing into consumer stapes (XLP +0.3%) and utilities (XLU +0.4%).
- Biotech ETFs: IBB, XBI, BIB, BBH, FBT, PBE, BIS
- Nasdaq ETFs: QQQ, PSQ, TQQQ, QID, SQQQ, QLD, QQEW, QQQE, QQXT, TNDQ
- Small-cap ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, SCHA, TWM, RWM, SRTY, SAA, DWAS, VTWO, VIOO, SDD, JKJ, RSCO, SBB, FYX, XSLV, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC
Monday, Apr 711:58 AM
Monday, Apr 711:58 AM| 4 Comments
- Tech's hanging in there thanks to nice moves in Intel, Cisco, and IBM, but the Russell 2000 (IWM -1.6%) is the outlier to the downside again. Today's dip can't be blamed on the biotechs though - the IBB is up 0.3% for the session.
- What's working? Defensive names like P&G (after a dividend boost), Coca-Cola, and Colgate-Palmolive are helping the Consumer Staples SPDR (XLP +0.3%). Also in the green are the utilities (XLU +0.9%).
- Small-cap ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, SCHA, TWM, RWM, SRTY, SAA, DWAS, VTWO, VIOO, SDD, SBB, JKJ, RSCO, FYX, XSLV, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC
- Staples ETFs: XLP, VDC, FXG, RHS, FSTA, PSL, PSCC
- Utility ETFs: XLU, IDU, VPU, NLR, GRID, JXI, NUCL, DBU, IPU, RYU, UPW, PUI, FUTY, FXU, SDP, PSCU, AXUT, UTLT
Tuesday, Mar 411:54 AM
Tuesday, Mar 411:54 AM| 12 Comments
- The Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq are all ahead about 1.25%, but the small caps are really breaking out, with the Russell 2000 up 2.8%, at an all-time high, and now ahead 4% on the year vs. a 1.4% gain for the S&P 500.
- The index's gain over the last month sums to nearly 11%. Last week, Ryan Detrick noted the Russell was up 14 of the previous 15 sessions for the first time in its history.
- ETFs: IWM, IJS, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, EES, RWJ, VBR, VBK, URTY, SCHA, TWM, IWO, IWN, IJT, RWM, SRTY, DWAS, SAA, JKL, VTWO, SLYG, RZV, SLYV, VIOO, SDD, JKJ, RZG, SBB, RSCO, VTWG, UKK, FYX, TILT, VIOG, XSLV, SKK, VIOV, FYT, FNDA, JKK, PXSV, EWRS, UVT, VTWV, TWOK, SMLV, SJH, FYC, IESM, PXSC, VLU, PXSG
Monday, Feb 31:24 PM
Monday, Feb 31:24 PM| 1 Comment
- The Russell 2000's (IWM -3.3%) decline is nearly twice that of the S&P 500 and has the small-cap index now underperforming the big-cap gauge YTD (down 5.7% vs. 5.2%). It was little more than a week ago, the Russell 2000 was outperforming by about 300 basis points, and there have been numerous warnings (I, II) in recent weeks about an overvaluation in small-cap stocks that just couldn't last.
- Small-cap ETFs: IJS, IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, EES, RWJ, VBR, VBK, URTY, TWM, SCHA, IWN, IWO, IJT, RWM, SRTY, DWAS, SAA, JKL, SLYG, VTWO, RZV, SLYV, SDD, JKJ, RSCO, SBB, RZG, VIOO, VTWG, UKK, FYX, TILT, VIOG, XSLV, FYT, VIOV, JKK, FNDA, EWRS, SKK, PXSV, UVT, TWOK, VTWV, SMLV, SJH, FYC, IESM, PXSC, VLU, PXSG
Monday, Jan 2712:31 PM
Monday, Jan 2712:31 PM| Comment!
- Once again, it's the Russell 2000 (IWM -1.9%) leading the way as the averages tumble. Green for the year just a few sessions ago, the small cap index is now off 3.6%, though it still hasn't caught up with the Dow's (DIA -0.5%) 4.7% YTD drop.
- Earlier: Small cap biotechs torched.
- Small cap ETFs: IJS, IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, EES, RWJ, VBR, VBK, URTY, TWM, SCHA, IWN, IWO, IJT, RWM, SRTY, DWAS, SAA, JKL, VTWO, SLYG, RZV, SLYV, SDD, JKJ, SBB, RSCO, RZG, VIOO, VTWG, UKK, FYX, TILT, VIOG, XSLV, VIOV, FYT, FNDA, JKK, EWRS, SKK, PXSV, UVT, TWOK, VTWV, SMLV, FYC, SJH, IESM, PXSC, VLU, PXSG
- Apple's higher ahead of earnings this evening, but the broader tech sector (QQQ -1.5%) is also taking a big hit. Excepting Apple, all of the top holdings of the Nasdaq 100 - Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Qualcomm, Gilead, Intel, Cisco, Comcast, and Facebook - are lower.
- Broad tech ETFs: XLK, VGT, TECL, IYW, ROM, TDIV, TECS, IGM, RYT, QTEC, PSCT, FTEC, FXL, REW, MTK, PTF
Wednesday, Oct 302013, 2:31 PM
Wednesday, Oct 302013, 2:31 PM| 3 Comments
- Check that. Far from little-changed, traders use some real or imagined hint from the Fed statement to take a break from buying low and selling high, with the S&P 500 (SPY -0.7%) diving nearly 1% in a matter of minutes.
- Perhaps at work here - and we're grasping at straws - is the removal from the statement of a line expressing concern about tightening financial conditions.
- The Dow (DIA -0.6%), Nasdaq 100 (QQQ -0.4%), and Russell 2000 (IWM -1.5%).
- Index ETFs: IVV, SPY, VOO, RWL, SFLA, SSO, UPRO, SDS, SPXU, SH, EPS, RSP, BXUB, BXUC, BXDB, DIA, DDM, UDOW, DXD, SDOW, DOG, QQQ, QQEW, TQQQ, QID, SQQQ, PSQ, QLD, QQQE, IWM, VTWO, EWRS, SRTY, TWM, RWM, TNA, URTY, UWM, TZA, SMLV, TWOK.
Sunday, Sep 292013, 8:28 PM
Sunday, Sep 292013, 8:28 PM| 17 Comments
- S&P 500 (SPY) futures -0.8% on mounting concerns of a partial U.S. government shutdown after the House voted to tie federal government funding to a halt on key provisions of Obamacare. Adding to worries is what may be the imminent collapse of the Italian government.
- DJIA (DIA) futures -0.7%, Nasdaq 100 (QQQ) -0.6%, Russell 2000 (IWM) -0.9%. Italian FTSE MIB futures (EWI) -1.2%.
- Japan's Nikkei is off 2% in the early going and Australia's ASX 200 is down 1%.
- Gold's little-changed and WTI crude oil is down 1.1% to $101.72.
- U.S. stock index ETFs: IVV, SPY, VOO, RWL, SFLA, SSO, UPRO, SDS, SPXU, SH, EPS, RSP, BXUB, BXUC, BXDB, DIA, DDM, UDOW, DXD, SDOW, DOG, QQQ, QQEW, TQQQ, QID, SQQQ, PSQ, QLD, QQQE, IWM, VTWO, EWRS, SRTY, TWM, RWM, TNA, URTY, UWM, TZA, SMLV, TWOK.
- Japan ETFs: EWJ, NKY, EWV, EZJ, ITF, JSC, JPP, DXJ, SCJ, DFJ, FJP, JPNL, JPNS, DXJS, JGBT, JGBL, JGBS, JGBD.
- Australia: EWA, EWAS, KROO, AUSE, FAUS, AUD, AUNZ, FXA, GDAY, CROC.
Sunday, Sep 152013, 8:37 PM
Sunday, Sep 152013, 8:37 PM| 15 Comments
- S&P 500 (SPY) futures +1.1% following Larry Summers pulling out of the race to be Fed chief. Nasdaq 100 (QQQ) and DJIA (DIA) +1%.
- 10-year Treasury futures are up nearly a full point, translating into about a 10 basis point dip in the 10-year Treasury yield, which closed Friday at 2.88%.
- Eurodollar futures are partying, the December 2016 contract up a full 17 basis points - in other words, nearly one 25 basis point Fed rate hike has been erased on the Summers news. Still, at 97.33, the Dec. 2016 contract is pricing in nearly 250 bps in hikes between now and then. The Eurodollar market has always been a great repository of market angst, and to say the taper and Summers were making players nervous would be putting it mildly.
- The greenback is lower across the board, down about half a percent vs. the euro (FXE), pound (FXB), yen (FXY), swissie (FXF), and loonie (FXC), and off a full percent vs. the aussie (FXA).
- Precious metals are on the move as well, gold +1.7% to $1,330 per ounce, and silver +2.5% to $22.25.
- Stock index ETFs: IVV, SPY, VOO, RWL, SFLA, SSO, UPRO, SDS, SPXU, SH, EPS, RSP, BXUB, BXUC, BXDB, DIA, DDM, UDOW, DXD, SDOW, DOG, IWM, VTWO, EWRS, SRTY, TWM, RWM, TNA, URTY, UWM, TZA, SMLV, TWOK.
- Long-dated Treasury ETFs: TLH, TLT, IEF, DTYL, DLBL, ILTB, TENZ, ITE, TLO, EDV, VGIT, VGLT, TMF, TYD, LBND, UBT, UST, TMV, TYO, DSTJ, DSXJ, SBND, PST, TBT, DTYS, DLBS, TBF, TTT, TYNS, TYBS, TBX.
- Dollar ETFs: UUP, UUPT, UDN, UDNT.
- Short-duration Treasury ETFs: SHY, SHV, IEI, BIL, TUZ, FIVZ, DTUL, VGSH, DTUS, DFVS, DFVL, SST, ISTB, TBZ.
- Related currency ETFs: ERO, ULE, URR, EUO, DRR, EUFX, GBB, YCL, YCS, JYN.
- Precious metals ETFs: GLD, IAU, SGOL, PHYS, AGOL, DGL, UBG, DGP, UGL, DZZ, GLL, DGZ, UGLD, DGLD, GLDI, SLV, SIVR, AGQ, DBS, USV, ZSL, USLV, DSLV, SLVO.