There are no Focus articles on SMLV.
There are no Transcripts on SMLV.
Fri, Sep. 19, 2:41 PM
- There's not a lot of action in the large cap averages this session, but the Russell 2000 (IWM -1.1%) continues to shed ground both absolutely and relative to the S&P 500, and has now turned negative for the year - it's lower by 1.1% YTD, ceding about 1000 basis points to the S&P,
- Maybe bearish, but probably bullish for those with a contrarian streak, technicians are starting to warn about the dreaded "Death Cross" - the 50-day moving average moving below the 200-day moving average. Ryan Detrick points out 19 instances since 1988 where the Russell 2000 has completed a Death Cross - it's tended to be bearish in the very short-term, but bullish over longer periods.
- ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, IWC, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, SCHA, TWM, RWM, SRTY, SAA, DWAS, VTWO, VIOO, SDD, SBB, PZI, FDM, JKJ, RSCO, WMCR, XSLV, FYX, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC, CSF
Fri, Jun. 27, 2:45 AM
- Russell Investments is planning its annual index realignment today, affecting more than $5T in assets. Credit Suisse estimates $42B will trade as a result of the adjustment, resulting in one of the biggest trading days of the year in terms of dollar volume.
- Asset managers and investors will have to realign their portfolios to match up with the new shifts in indices such as the Russell 2000 and the Russell 3000.
- Due to the expected surge in volume, exchanges are now busy preparing for possible technical issues occurring over the course of the day.
- Yesterday, the London Stock Exchange said it will acquire Frank Russell for $2.7B.
- Russell ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, SPXS, IWF, SKF, URTY, IWD, TWM, IWO, IWN, RWM, SRTY, IWV, IWB, VTWO, VONE, IWW, IWZ, VTWG, UKK, ROLA, RTLA, FBG, THRK, UKF, SKK, EWRS, ONEK, TWOK, VTHR, VONG, VTWV, SMLV, UVT, VONV, UVG, EWRI, SJH, UWC, LGLV, TWQ, SJF, FIBG
Tue, May. 20, 10:06 AM
- The Russell 2000 (IWM -1.2%) has returned to leadership as markets move into the red in mid-morning action. The S&P 500 (SPY -0.3%), DJIA (DIA -0.4%), and Nasdaq 100 (QQQ) are faring better.
- Among S&P 500 sectors, the retailers are getting hammered, with weak results/outlooks at Dick's and Staples making news today.
- ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, SCHA, TWM, RWM, SRTY, DWAS, SAA, VTWO, VIOO, SDD, SBB, JKJ, RSCO, FYX, XSLV, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC
Thu, May. 15, 12:40 PM
- Coming in the same week when the Dow and S&P 500 hit new record highs, the Russell 2000 (IWM -1.6%) today tumbled into correction territory, now off 10.2% since its record high hit on March 4.
- The Dow (DIA -1%) and S&P (SPY -1.2%) haven't suffered a correction since 2011 H2, though the Nasdaq fell into correction in November 2012 (the tech index fell nearly 10% from March through mid-April this year, but bounced).
- The question at hand is whether the large-cap averages will follow the Russell. or continue to go their own way to new records.
- Small-cap ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, SCHA, TWM, RWM, SRTY, DWAS, SAA, VTWO, VIOO, SDD, SBB, JKJ, RSCO, FYX, XSLV, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC
Fri, Apr. 25, 1:31 PM
- Today's selloff is following the pattern of most in the past few weeks, with the small caps (IWM -1.9%) and tech (QQQ -1.5%) leading the way. Pacing declines in the Nasdaq are a 8.8% dive in Amazon post-earnings and a 4.6% fall in Facebook. Setting tongues wagging in FB - but hardly a huge deal - is the sale of another 283K shares by Sheryl Sandberg, bringing her holdings down to 8.7M shares.
- The liquidation in biotech has previously been a convenient excuse for small cap selloffs, but the IBB is off just 1.4% today, outperforming the Russell 2000.
- What's working? Utilities again. The XLU +0.8% today and +13% this year, outperforming the Russell 2000 by about 1.6K basis points.
- Small cap ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, SCHA, TWM, RWM, SRTY, SAA, DWAS, VTWO, SDD, VIOO, JKJ, RSCO, SBB, FYX, XSLV, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC
- Utility ETFs: XLU, IDU, VPU, NLR, GRID, JXI, NUCL, DBU, IPU, UPW, RYU, PUI, FUTY, FXU, SDP, PSCU, UTLT
- Biotech ETFs: IBB, XBI, BIB, BBH, FBT, PBE, BIS
Thu, Apr. 10, 11:09 AM
- The DJIA (DIA -0.4%) is off only marginally, but the Nasdaq 100 (QQQ -1.4%) and Russell 2000 (IWM -1.8%) are again suffering sharp falls in mid-morning action. Hit particularly hard again is the biotech sector (IBB -3.4%), and money is flowing into consumer stapes (XLP +0.3%) and utilities (XLU +0.4%).
- Biotech ETFs: IBB, XBI, BIB, BBH, FBT, PBE, BIS
- Nasdaq ETFs: QQQ, PSQ, TQQQ, QID, SQQQ, QLD, QQEW, QQQE, QQXT, TNDQ
- Small-cap ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, SCHA, TWM, RWM, SRTY, SAA, DWAS, VTWO, VIOO, SDD, JKJ, RSCO, SBB, FYX, XSLV, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC
Mon, Apr. 7, 11:58 AM
- Tech's hanging in there thanks to nice moves in Intel, Cisco, and IBM, but the Russell 2000 (IWM -1.6%) is the outlier to the downside again. Today's dip can't be blamed on the biotechs though - the IBB is up 0.3% for the session.
- What's working? Defensive names like P&G (after a dividend boost), Coca-Cola, and Colgate-Palmolive are helping the Consumer Staples SPDR (XLP +0.3%). Also in the green are the utilities (XLU +0.9%).
- Small-cap ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, SCHA, TWM, RWM, SRTY, SAA, DWAS, VTWO, VIOO, SDD, SBB, JKJ, RSCO, FYX, XSLV, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC
- Staples ETFs: XLP, VDC, FXG, RHS, FSTA, PSL, PSCC
- Utility ETFs: XLU, IDU, VPU, NLR, GRID, JXI, NUCL, DBU, IPU, RYU, UPW, PUI, FUTY, FXU, SDP, PSCU, AXUT, UTLT
Tue, Mar. 4, 11:54 AM
- The Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq are all ahead about 1.25%, but the small caps are really breaking out, with the Russell 2000 up 2.8%, at an all-time high, and now ahead 4% on the year vs. a 1.4% gain for the S&P 500.
- The index's gain over the last month sums to nearly 11%. Last week, Ryan Detrick noted the Russell was up 14 of the previous 15 sessions for the first time in its history.
- ETFs: IWM, IJS, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, EES, RWJ, VBR, VBK, URTY, SCHA, TWM, IWO, IWN, IJT, RWM, SRTY, DWAS, SAA, JKL, VTWO, SLYG, RZV, SLYV, VIOO, SDD, JKJ, RZG, SBB, RSCO, VTWG, UKK, FYX, TILT, VIOG, XSLV, SKK, VIOV, FYT, FNDA, JKK, PXSV, EWRS, UVT, VTWV, TWOK, SMLV, SJH, FYC, IESM, PXSC, VLU, PXSG
Mon, Feb. 3, 1:24 PM
- The Russell 2000's (IWM -3.3%) decline is nearly twice that of the S&P 500 and has the small-cap index now underperforming the big-cap gauge YTD (down 5.7% vs. 5.2%). It was little more than a week ago, the Russell 2000 was outperforming by about 300 basis points, and there have been numerous warnings (I, II) in recent weeks about an overvaluation in small-cap stocks that just couldn't last.
- Small-cap ETFs: IJS, IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, EES, RWJ, VBR, VBK, URTY, TWM, SCHA, IWN, IWO, IJT, RWM, SRTY, DWAS, SAA, JKL, SLYG, VTWO, RZV, SLYV, SDD, JKJ, RSCO, SBB, RZG, VIOO, VTWG, UKK, FYX, TILT, VIOG, XSLV, FYT, VIOV, JKK, FNDA, EWRS, SKK, PXSV, UVT, TWOK, VTWV, SMLV, SJH, FYC, IESM, PXSC, VLU, PXSG
Mon, Jan. 27, 12:31 PM
- Once again, it's the Russell 2000 (IWM -1.9%) leading the way as the averages tumble. Green for the year just a few sessions ago, the small cap index is now off 3.6%, though it still hasn't caught up with the Dow's (DIA -0.5%) 4.7% YTD drop.
- Earlier: Small cap biotechs torched.
- Small cap ETFs: IJS, IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, EES, RWJ, VBR, VBK, URTY, TWM, SCHA, IWN, IWO, IJT, RWM, SRTY, DWAS, SAA, JKL, VTWO, SLYG, RZV, SLYV, SDD, JKJ, SBB, RSCO, RZG, VIOO, VTWG, UKK, FYX, TILT, VIOG, XSLV, VIOV, FYT, FNDA, JKK, EWRS, SKK, PXSV, UVT, TWOK, VTWV, SMLV, FYC, SJH, IESM, PXSC, VLU, PXSG
- Apple's higher ahead of earnings this evening, but the broader tech sector (QQQ -1.5%) is also taking a big hit. Excepting Apple, all of the top holdings of the Nasdaq 100 - Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Qualcomm, Gilead, Intel, Cisco, Comcast, and Facebook - are lower.
- Broad tech ETFs: XLK, VGT, TECL, IYW, ROM, TDIV, TECS, IGM, RYT, QTEC, PSCT, FTEC, FXL, REW, MTK, PTF
Oct. 30, 2013, 2:31 PM
- Check that. Far from little-changed, traders use some real or imagined hint from the Fed statement to take a break from buying low and selling high, with the S&P 500 (SPY -0.7%) diving nearly 1% in a matter of minutes.
- Perhaps at work here - and we're grasping at straws - is the removal from the statement of a line expressing concern about tightening financial conditions.
- The Dow (DIA -0.6%), Nasdaq 100 (QQQ -0.4%), and Russell 2000 (IWM -1.5%).
- Index ETFs: IVV, SPY, VOO, RWL, SFLA, SSO, UPRO, SDS, SPXU, SH, EPS, RSP, BXUB, BXUC, BXDB, DIA, DDM, UDOW, DXD, SDOW, DOG, QQQ, QQEW, TQQQ, QID, SQQQ, PSQ, QLD, QQQE, IWM, VTWO, EWRS, SRTY, TWM, RWM, TNA, URTY, UWM, TZA, SMLV, TWOK.
Sep. 29, 2013, 8:28 PM
- S&P 500 (SPY) futures -0.8% on mounting concerns of a partial U.S. government shutdown after the House voted to tie federal government funding to a halt on key provisions of Obamacare. Adding to worries is what may be the imminent collapse of the Italian government.
- DJIA (DIA) futures -0.7%, Nasdaq 100 (QQQ) -0.6%, Russell 2000 (IWM) -0.9%. Italian FTSE MIB futures (EWI) -1.2%.
- Japan's Nikkei is off 2% in the early going and Australia's ASX 200 is down 1%.
- Gold's little-changed and WTI crude oil is down 1.1% to $101.72.
- U.S. stock index ETFs: IVV, SPY, VOO, RWL, SFLA, SSO, UPRO, SDS, SPXU, SH, EPS, RSP, BXUB, BXUC, BXDB, DIA, DDM, UDOW, DXD, SDOW, DOG, QQQ, QQEW, TQQQ, QID, SQQQ, PSQ, QLD, QQQE, IWM, VTWO, EWRS, SRTY, TWM, RWM, TNA, URTY, UWM, TZA, SMLV, TWOK.
- Japan ETFs: EWJ, NKY, EWV, EZJ, ITF, JSC, JPP, DXJ, SCJ, DFJ, FJP, JPNL, JPNS, DXJS, JGBT, JGBL, JGBS, JGBD.
- Australia: EWA, EWAS, KROO, AUSE, FAUS, AUD, AUNZ, FXA, GDAY, CROC.
Sep. 15, 2013, 8:37 PM
- S&P 500 (SPY) futures +1.1% following Larry Summers pulling out of the race to be Fed chief. Nasdaq 100 (QQQ) and DJIA (DIA) +1%.
- 10-year Treasury futures are up nearly a full point, translating into about a 10 basis point dip in the 10-year Treasury yield, which closed Friday at 2.88%.
- Eurodollar futures are partying, the December 2016 contract up a full 17 basis points - in other words, nearly one 25 basis point Fed rate hike has been erased on the Summers news. Still, at 97.33, the Dec. 2016 contract is pricing in nearly 250 bps in hikes between now and then. The Eurodollar market has always been a great repository of market angst, and to say the taper and Summers were making players nervous would be putting it mildly.
- The greenback is lower across the board, down about half a percent vs. the euro (FXE), pound (FXB), yen (FXY), swissie (FXF), and loonie (FXC), and off a full percent vs. the aussie (FXA).
- Precious metals are on the move as well, gold +1.7% to $1,330 per ounce, and silver +2.5% to $22.25.
- Stock index ETFs: IVV, SPY, VOO, RWL, SFLA, SSO, UPRO, SDS, SPXU, SH, EPS, RSP, BXUB, BXUC, BXDB, DIA, DDM, UDOW, DXD, SDOW, DOG, IWM, VTWO, EWRS, SRTY, TWM, RWM, TNA, URTY, UWM, TZA, SMLV, TWOK.
- Long-dated Treasury ETFs: TLH, TLT, IEF, DTYL, DLBL, ILTB, TENZ, ITE, TLO, EDV, VGIT, VGLT, TMF, TYD, LBND, UBT, UST, TMV, TYO, DSTJ, DSXJ, SBND, PST, TBT, DTYS, DLBS, TBF, TTT, TYNS, TYBS, TBX.
- Dollar ETFs: UUP, UUPT, UDN, UDNT.
- Short-duration Treasury ETFs: SHY, SHV, IEI, BIL, TUZ, FIVZ, DTUL, VGSH, DTUS, DFVS, DFVL, SST, ISTB, TBZ.
- Related currency ETFs: ERO, ULE, URR, EUO, DRR, EUFX, GBB, YCL, YCS, JYN.
- Precious metals ETFs: GLD, IAU, SGOL, PHYS, AGOL, DGL, UBG, DGP, UGL, DZZ, GLL, DGZ, UGLD, DGLD, GLDI, SLV, SIVR, AGQ, DBS, USV, ZSL, USLV, DSLV, SLVO.
There are no StockTalks on this stock yet.
SMLV vs. ETF Alternatives
The SPDR Russell 2000® Low Volatility ETF (the "Fund") seeks to provide investment results that, before fees and expenses, correspond generally to the total return performance of an index that tracks the performance of the U.S. small capitalization low volatility market.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Country: United States
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio: Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
- In Your Portfolio: Core Building Blocks: A Guide to ETFs That Divide the U.S. Stock Market by Market Cap, A Guide to Strategy ETFs
- Asset Class Performance: Strategies, Market Cap
Other News & PR