Wed, Mar. 18, 3:28 PM
- The Fed earlier cuts its forecasts for GDP growth, inflation, and the pace of rate hikes. Alongside, it also lowered NAIRU - the level at which unemployment threatens accelerating inflation.
- The 10-year Treasury yield is lower by 13 basis points to 1.92% following the news, sending the board averages to near-1.5% gains, but the strongest names are the equity REITs.
- IYR +2.3%
- National Retail Properties (NNN +3%), Spirit Realty (SRC +3.1%), Senior Housing Properties (SNH +2.1%), Healthcare Trust of America (HTA +2.9%), Equity Commonwealth (EQC +2.7%), Gramercy Property (GPT +3.2%), Post Properties (PPS +3.9%), Aimco (AIV +2.6%), Kimco (KIM +2.8%), DDR Corp (DDR +2.4%), Public Storage (PSA +2%), Government Properties (GOV +1.9%), First Potomac Realty (FPO +3%), Digital Realty Trust (DLR +1.5%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO +2%), Liberty Property (LPT +2.4%), American Campus (ACC +2.5%)
- Previously: Day's biggest news: Fed sharply cuts "normal" unemployment rate (March 18)
- Previously: FOMC drops "patient," but sends dovish signal (March 18)
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, DRN, URE, SRS, ICF, SCHH, RWR, KBWY, DRV, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, WREI, FREL
Tue, Feb. 24, 3:32 PM
- The 10-year Treasury yield has tumbled back beneath 2% amid Janet Yellen's congressional testimony and some weak economic data, but there's no bid for income favorites like equity REITs.
- The iShares DJ U.S. Real Estate ETF (IYR -1.9%).
- Realty Income (O -2.9%), National Retail Properties (NNN -2.7%), Senior Housing Properties (SNH -2.2%), Ventas (VTR -3.8%), HCP (HCP -3.6%), Equity Commonwealth (EQC -2.3%), Vornado (VNO -1.9%), Equity Residential (EQR -2.5%), AvalonBay (AVB -2.7%), Simon Property (SPG -1.8%), General Growth (GGP -2.1%), Kimco (KIM -3%), Sovran Self Storage (SSS -2%), Boston Properties (BXP -2%), Hospitality Properties (HPT -2.7%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO -2.8%), Liberty Property Trust (LPT -2.7%), American Campus Communities (ACC -1.7%).
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, DRN, URE, SRS, ICF, SCHH, RWR, KBWY, DRV, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, WREI
Wed, Feb. 4, 11:03 AM| 1 Comment
Oct. 13, 2014, 4:19 PM
- Both equity and mortgage REITs saw plenty of buying as nearly all of the rest of the market was lit up bright red, and Treasury ETFs signaled a sharp drop in yields when government bonds reopen for trade tomorrow (closed this session for Columbus Day).
- A sampling of equity names: Senior Housing Properties (SNH +1.2%), Medical Properties Trust (MPW +1.4%), Gramercy Property Trust (GPT +1.7%), Equity Residential (EQR +0.7%), Inland Real Estate (IRC +0.9%), Sovran Self Storage (SSS +1.1%), Highwoods Properties Trust (HIW +1%).
- One equity REIT sector in the red along with the rest of the market is lodging amid worsening Ebola fears: Ashford Hospitality Trust (AHT -2.9%), Sunshine Hotel Investors (SHO -1.4%), LaSalle Hotel Properties (LHO -1.5%), Summit Hotel Properties (INN -1.5%).
- Mortgage REITs: American Capital Agency (AGNC +1.4%), CYS Investments (CYS +2.2%), Invesco (IVR +1.1%), American Capital Mortgage (MTGE +1.5%), Western Asset (WMC +1.1%).
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, REM, MORL, MORT, DRN, URE, REZ, SRS, RWR, SCHH, ICF, ROOF, DRV, KBWY, RTL, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, IFNA, FNIO, WREI
Jul. 2, 2014, 7:22 AM
- Citing a preference for more economically-sensitive REIT sectors, Goldman downgrades the Healthcare REIT sector to Neutral from Attractive. Alongside the sector cut, the team downgrades Omega Healthcare Investors (OHI) to Neutral. It's off 1% premarket.
- Among the other names in the sector: HCN, HCP, MPW, HTA, SNH, VTR, LTC, AVIV.
Apr. 16, 2014, 5:37 PM
Apr. 16, 2014, 4:30 PM| 1 Comment
Mar. 19, 2014, 12:35 PM
- A check of other REITs externally managed by the Portnoys' Reit Management & Research - and thus possibly activist targets - finds no noticeable reaction to the dissident shareholder victory which likely means the removal of the entire CommonWealth board.
- Hospitality Properties Trust (HPT -1.7%), Senior Housing Properties (SNH), Government Properties Income Trust (GOV -0.4%), Select Income REIT (SIR -0.8%), RMR Real Estate Income Fund (RIF +0.1%). Other companies (not REITs managed by RMR): Five Star Quality Care (FVE -0.3%), TravelCenters of America (TA -1.2%).
Jan. 7, 2014, 8:28 AM
- "We see a company in transition with greater disposition volumes recently announced and changes to its management agreement with RMR, to name a few," says Wells Fargo, cutting Senior Housing Properties (SNH) to a Sell, with the valuation range lowered to $20-$21 from $23-$25. "While several of these changes we view favorably, further asset sales could weigh on the shares as well as limit visibility into cash flow growth in 2014."
- The team notes SNH has had a recent history of hiking its dividend in October, but the date came and went this year without a move.
- Shares -0.7% premarket
- See also: Wells cuts Omega Healthcare to Sell.
Dec. 11, 2013, 3:08 PM
- The equity REITs are particularly weak today as the 10-year Treasury yield heads higher by 4 basis points to 2.85%. Senior Housing (SNH -2.3%), Omega Healthcare (OHI -2.6%), American Realty Capital (ARCP -1.7%), Stag Industrial (STAG -2%), Equity Residential (EQR -1.4%).
- Retail and shopping center/mall REITs also have the weak retail traffic numbers to mull over: Realty Income (O -1.4%), National Retail (NNN -2.8%), Simon Property (SPG -1.4%), General Growth (GGP -2.6%), Kimco (KIM -2.6%), Brixmor (BRX -0.8%).
Jul. 31, 2013, 10:39 AM
- HCP (HCP -2.2%) slips for a 2nd day despite upping guidance in its earnings report as dour earnings call (transcript) comments from CEO Jay Flaherty are digested
- The "pause" button for deals was hit by Bernanke's post-FOMC June comments and the subsequent fixed-income turbulence, says Flaherty, and it remains to be seen how quickly things start moving again.
- Funding costs have gone up, but sellers' expectations of what their properties are worth haven't changed - not a good combination for getting business done.
- Others of note: Senior Housing Properties (SNH -2.2%), Medical Properties Trust (MPW -1.8%), Omega Healthcare (OHI -1.5%).
Jun. 12, 2013, 3:30 PMRenewed selling also hits equity REITs, with the Vanguard REIT ETF (VNQ -1.3%) just holding onto gains YTD; the iShares Real Estate ETF (IYR -1.4%). Among individual stocks, Realty Income (O -1.6%) is off 22% in 3 weeks; Senior Housing (SNH -2.3%), Digital Realty (DLR -4%) American Capital Realty (ARCP -2.1%), Omega Healthcare (OHI -1.7%). Among the best performers is HCP, Inc. (HCP -0.9%). | 9 Comments
Jun. 7, 2013, 2:45 PMSimilar to a pattern seen a few times over the past few weeks, underneath a solid rally in the averages are big declines in a number of income favorites. The culprit again is falling Treasury prices, the long bond off more than a full point and yielding 3.32%. Some popular equity REITs: Equity Residential (EQR -1.3%), AvalonBay (AVB -1.4%), HCP (HCP -1.6%), Realty Income (O -2.6%), Senior Housing (SNH -2.9%), Omega Healthcare (OHI -1.3%), Government Properties (GOV -2%). Also: Continued rout in mREITs. | 4 Comments
Apr. 29, 2013, 1:09 PMRed-hot Senior Housing Properties Trust (SNH -2.3%) takes a breather after reporting about inline FFO of $0.43 for Q1, off $0.02 from a year ago. The company purchased 4 properties in the quarter for about $75M, plus the assumption of $12.3B in mortgage debt. Two more properties went under contract in April, each for more than $20M. A senior community in Pittsburgh is currently being offered for sale by SNH. (PR) | 1 Comment
Jan. 23, 2013, 9:58 AM
Jan. 22, 2013, 5:41 PM
SNH vs. ETF Alternatives
Senior Housing Properties Trust is a real estate investment trust. It owns and operates independent living and assisted living communities, continuing care retirement communities, nursing homes, wellness centers.
Other News & PR