Fri, Mar. 13, 4:04 PM
- An Oregon federal court has granted Mentor Graphics (MENT -0.3%) an injunction that prevents EDA software rival Synopsys (SNPS +0.2%) from "making, using, selling, offering to sell, licensing or leasing in the United States any emulators or software that incorporate Mentor Graphics' patented emulation technology covered by U.S. Patent No. 6,240,376."
- The court has also banned Synopsys from importing emulators featuring Mentor's IP, and has confirmed a prior $36M award for lost profits stemming from past infringement by Synopsys.
- Synopsys has responded by stating "it will continue to sell, ship and support its high-performance ZeBu Server emulation systems worldwide, and that it has released a new version of ZeBu Server software that does not include the two features previously found to infringe on a [Mentor] patent."
- The ruling comes two months after Mentor won a summary judgment stating claims within 3 Synopsys patents asserted against Mentor are invalid. The USPTO is conducting an inter partes review of claims within a fourth patent.
Wed, Feb. 18, 4:11 PM
Tue, Feb. 17, 5:35 PM
- ABX, ACT, AMTG, ARII, ARRS, ASGN, AVG, AXLL, BGS, BJRI, CAR, CDE, CSLT, CVG, CW, CYNI, DENN, DTLK, ELNK, EOG, EQC, ETE, ETP, EXAM, FNF, HSTM, HT, IAG, IPI, KEG, KEYW, LHO, LOPE, MANT, MAR, MHLD, MIC, MRO, NVMI, OGS, OIS, PAAS, PCYC, PKD, REXX, RGP, SBRA, SCTY, SIX, SNPS, SSS, STR, SUN, SUNE, SXL, TERP, THRX, TILE, TRN, TS, UAM, WES, WGP, WMB, WPZ, XPO, YUME
Wed, Jan. 21, 3:56 PM
- Mentor Graphics (MENT -0.4%) has won a summary judgment declaring the claims within three patents asserted by Synopsys (SNPS +0.6%) in an infringement suit are invalid. Litigation of a fourth patent being asserted has been stayed, pending a USPTO inter partes review of its claims.
- Separately, Synopsys has announced it's expanding its memory verification IP portfolio for the growing mobile chip market. The new IP is related to the UFS, UniPro, and eMMC protocols.
Dec. 3, 2014, 4:52 PM
- Along with its FQ4 results, Synopsys (NASDAQ:SNPS) has announced CFO Brian Beattie has been promoted to the role of EVP, business operations and chief administrative officer. Corporate finance VP Trac Pham is Synopsys' new CFO.
- In his new job, Beattie will continue leading Synopsys' finance, operations, and IT divisions, and will also be in charge of HR, facilities, and business development/strategy.
- FQ1 guidance is for revenue of $535M-$545M and EPS of $0.61-$0.63, favorable to a consensus of $518.4M and $0.61. FY15 (ends Oct. '15) guidance is for revenue of $2.185B-$2.225B and EPS of $2.67-$2.72 vs. a consensus of $2.21B and $2.70.
- Gross margin rose 100 bps Y/Y to 77.4%. Opex rose 8% to $360.1M.
- SNPS +1.1% AH. FQ4 results, PR.
Dec. 3, 2014, 4:08 PM
Dec. 2, 2014, 5:35 PM
Aug. 20, 2014, 5:01 PM
- Though it beat FQ3 estimates, Synopsys (NASDAQ:SNPS) is guiding for FQ4 revenue of $537M-$547M and EPS of $0.59-$0.61, mostly below a consensus of $547M and $0.63.
- FQ3 time-based license revenue +11% Y/Y to $431.2M; up-front license revenue -21% to $31.6M; maintenance/service revenue +6% to $59M. GAAP R&D spend +10% to $182.8M; sales/marketing +7% to $112.3M.
- Synopsys says it's seeing "encouraging results" from recently-acquired software quality/testing tool vendor Coverity.
- Shares -0.8% AH. FQ3 results, PR.
Aug. 20, 2014, 4:08 PM
Aug. 19, 2014, 5:35 PM
May. 21, 2014, 4:07 PM
May. 20, 2014, 5:35 PM
Apr. 21, 2014, 4:45 PM
- Along with its Q1 results, Cadence (CDNS) announces it's buying Jasper Design Automation, a provider of verification software tools to chipmakers, system developers, and IP providers, for $170M in cash ($140M exc. cash on hand).
- Cadence notes Jasper is a leader in the formal analysis segment of the verification tool market, and that many of the companies' joint customers are "increasingly adopting formal analysis to complement traditional verification methods, so as to better address the challenge of verifying increasingly complex and flexible IP designs and [SoCs]."
- The deal is expected to close in Q2, and will be paid for using both cash on hand and a credit facility. Cadence sees Jasper's technology complementing its System Development Suite. Jasper competes against Cadence archrival Synopsys (SNPS), which offers clients its Magellan formal analysis product.
- Cadence is guiding for Q2 revenue of $370M-$380M and EPS of $0.19-$0.21 vs. a consensus of $372.2M and $0.23. Full-year guidance is for revenue of $1.55B-$1.59B and EPS of $0.92-$1.02, in-line with. a consensus of $1.57B and $0.97.
Feb. 19, 2014, 4:10 PM
Feb. 19, 2014, 12:10 AM| 5 Comments
Feb. 18, 2014, 5:35 PM| Comment!
SNPS vs. ETF Alternatives
Synopsys Inc is a provider of software, intellectual property and services used to design integrated circuits and electronics systems. It also provides software & services used to develop electronic systems that incorporate chips.
Other News & PR