Aug. 20, 2014, 4:08 PM
Aug. 19, 2014, 5:35 PM
May 21, 2014, 4:07 PM
May 20, 2014, 5:35 PM
Apr. 21, 2014, 4:45 PM
- Along with its Q1 results, Cadence (CDNS) announces it's buying Jasper Design Automation, a provider of verification software tools to chipmakers, system developers, and IP providers, for $170M in cash ($140M exc. cash on hand).
- Cadence notes Jasper is a leader in the formal analysis segment of the verification tool market, and that many of the companies' joint customers are "increasingly adopting formal analysis to complement traditional verification methods, so as to better address the challenge of verifying increasingly complex and flexible IP designs and [SoCs]."
- The deal is expected to close in Q2, and will be paid for using both cash on hand and a credit facility. Cadence sees Jasper's technology complementing its System Development Suite. Jasper competes against Cadence archrival Synopsys (SNPS), which offers clients its Magellan formal analysis product.
- Cadence is guiding for Q2 revenue of $370M-$380M and EPS of $0.19-$0.21 vs. a consensus of $372.2M and $0.23. Full-year guidance is for revenue of $1.55B-$1.59B and EPS of $0.92-$1.02, in-line with. a consensus of $1.57B and $0.97.
Feb. 19, 2014, 4:10 PM
Feb. 19, 2014, 12:10 AM| Feb. 19, 2014, 12:10 AM | 5 Comments
Feb. 18, 2014, 5:35 PM| Feb. 18, 2014, 5:35 PM | Comment!
Feb. 7, 2014, 5:01 PM
- Synopsys (SNPS) has acquired Target Compiler Technologies, a Belgian developer of tools for designing/programming ASIPs (a type of processor whose instruction set is fine-tuned to support a specific application). Terms are undisclosed.
- While archrival Cadence made a splash last year by acquiring processor core IP developer Tensilica for $380M, Synopsys has been fairly quiet on the M&A front for a while. In 2012, Synopsys bought chip emulation software developer Eve.
Jan. 30, 2014, 9:52 AM
- Vipshop (VIPS -4%) has been cut to Neutral by UBS. Bof/A/Merrill and UBS started shares at Buy earlier this month.
- Sequans (SQNS +3.6%) has been upgraded to Outperform by Baird ahead of its Feb. 6 Q4 report.
- Amdocs (DOX +3.9%) has been upgraded to Outperform by Oppenheimer following yesterday afternoon's FQ1 beat.
- PTC (PTC +3.7%) has been upgraded to Overweight by JPMorgan. The company posted an FQ1 beat a week ago.
- Blackbaud (BLKB -1.4%) has been cut to Underweight by JPMorgan.
- Integrated Silicon (ISSI -2.8%) has been cut to Hold by Craig-Hallum a day after posting mixed FQ1 results.
- Synopsys (SNPS +0.2%) and SS&C (SSNC -3.6%) have been cut to Neutral by JPMorgan.
- Spansion (CODE +1.9%) has been started at Overweight by Morgan Stanley ahead of its Feb. 4 Q4 report.
Dec. 31, 2013, 6:21 PM
- With Apple having kicked off the 64-bit ARM (ARMH) mobile processor era this fall, many other companies are expected to launch 64-bit ARM-powered smartphones and tablets in 2014, notes the Micrprocessor Report's Mike Demler. That, in turn, should provide a boost to ARM's CPU royalty rates.
- Already, Qualcomm has announced a mid-range 64-bit Snapdragon processor (features four ARM Cortex A53 cores) and Samsung has promised its next-gen Exynos mobile CPUs will be 64-bit. Also, Intel has demoed a tablet running on a 64-bit version of Android and the chip giant's (x86-based) Bay Trail Atom CPU.
- Demler also expects strong demand for microcontrollers running on ARM's low-power Cortex-M CPUs (previous), which power a variety of intelligent embedded/wearable devices. At the same time, he notes ARM faces competition here from Synopsys' (SNPS) ARC CPU cores, as well as some smaller firms.
- ARM has called the embedded market its biggest opportunity. The company recently bought Sensinode, a startup offering a software platform that provides Web connectivity for embedded devices.
Dec. 9, 2013, 2:29 PM
Dec. 4, 2013, 5:37 PM
Dec. 4, 2013, 4:44 PM
- Synopsys (SNPS) shares are down 4.1% AH following a largely in-line FQ4 but weaker-than-expected FQ1 guidance.
- Time-based license revenue grew 12.5% Y/Y to $412.9M, upfront revenue +26.4% to $36.5M, and maintenance revenue -4.9% to $55.5M.
- Management sees FQ1 revenue of $475M-$485M (missing analyst expectations of $504.3M) and EPS of $0.51-$0.53 ($0.62). FY2014 revenue is seen at $2.06B-$2.085B (vs. consensus of $2.09B) and EPS at $2.55-$2.60 ($2.54).
- Conference call at 5pm ET, PR
Dec. 4, 2013, 4:15 PM
Dec. 4, 2013, 12:10 AM
SNPS vs. ETF Alternatives
Synopsys Inc is a provider of software, intellectual property and services used to design integrated circuits and electronics systems. It also provides software & services used to develop electronic systems that incorporate chips.
Other News & PR