Mon, Apr. 27, 6:02 AM
Sun, Apr. 26, 5:30 PM
Mon, Feb. 9, 10:34 AM
- Though SOHU beat Q4 estimates, it's guiding for Q1 revenue of $425M-$440M and EPS of -$0.95 to -$1.05, below a consensus of $445.1M and -$0.72.
- Subsidiary Chanyou (NASDAQ:CYOU), which posted a revenue beat and an EPS miss, is guiding for revenue of $195M-$200M and EPS of $0.64-$0.68; the former is below a $201M consensus, and the latter above a $0.24 consensus.
- Changyou has also announced the appointment of Sohu exec Jasmine Zhou as its permanent CFO. Zhou takes over from Rucia Ren, who had been serving as interim CFO.
- Sohu's online game revenue (stems from Changyou) rose 7% Y/Y in Q4 to $184M. Sogou search revenue rose 70% to $119M (share gains), and brand ad revenue 20% to $148M. Changyou's average monthly active accounts and quarterly active paying accounts respectively rose 81% and 59% to 13.9M and 2.7M.
- Sohu's gross margin was 59%, up from Q3's 58% but down from 64% a year ago. Operating expenses rose 16% Y/Y to $288M (compares with 24% revenue growth), with Changyou's opex rising 14% to $149.4M.
- Sohu: Q4 results, PR. Changyou: Q4 results, PR.
Mon, Feb. 9, 6:00 AM
Sun, Feb. 8, 5:30 PM
Nov. 3, 2014, 9:15 AM
- Along with its Q3 report, Changyou (NASDAQ:CYOU) announces CEO Tao Wang has resigned for "personal reasons." SOHU CFO Carol Yu and Changoyu president Dewen Chen will serve as co-CEOs.
- The news comes as both Changyou and parent Sohu post mixed Q3 results (EPS beats and revenue misses) and offer light Q4 sales guidance. Sohu expects Q4 revenue of $442M-$462M, mostly below a $461.1M consensus. Changyou expects Q4 revenue of $188M-$198M, below a $199.2M consensus.
- Changyou's Q3 revenue (42% of Sohu's revenue) fell 1% Y/Y due to a 7% drop in online game revenue to $150.3M; Changyou faces off against Tencent, Perfect World, Shanda, and a slew of other firms in a very competitive Chinese online gaming market.
- Average monthly active accounts for Changyou's games amounted to 29M, +21% Q/Q and -6% Y/Y. Average monthly accounts for platform channels totaled 275M, +9% Q/Q and +178% Y/Y.
- Sohu's Sogou search unit continued to perform well: Sales rose 17% Q/Q and 86% Y/Y to $106M. Meanwhile, Sohu's brand ad sales grew 12% Q/Q and 19% Y/Y to $106M.
- Sohu's gross margin was 58%, flat Q/Q and down from 66% a year ago. Opex was $275M, +3% Q/Q and +47% Y/Y.
- Sohu: Q3 results, PR. Changyou: Q3 results, PR.
Nov. 3, 2014, 5:50 AM
Nov. 2, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 28, 2014, 2:51 PM
- Sohu (SOHU +1%) expects Q3 revenue of $427M-$442M and EPS of -$0.75 to -$0.85 vs. a consensus of $451.4M and -$0.97. Subsidiary Changyou (CYOU +0.9%) expects Q3 revenue of $186M-$192M and EPS of -$0.11 to $0.00 vs. a consensus of $200.1M and -$0.04.
- While respectively up 275% and 86% Y/Y, Changyou's sales/marketing and R&D spend fell 14% and 30% Q/Q in Q2 to $69.4M and $49M. That helped both Changyou and Sohu beat EPS estimates in spite of revenue misses. Sohu's total opex fell 8% Q/Q and rose 67% Y/Y to $267M.
- Changyou notes it "scaled back its advertising and promotion of its PC-based and mobile-based software applications" in Q2. The R&D spend decline is attributed to lower expenses related to employee incentive plans.
- Each company saw declining gross margins: Changyou's GM fell to 76% from 78% in Q1 and 83% a year ago, and Sohu's fell to 58% from 62% in Q1 and 66% a year ago. In addition to Changyou, Sohu's GM was dinged by lower advertising margins caused by higher content/bandwidth costs.
- While Changyou's gaming revenue fell 9% Y/Y to $154M, Sohu's search/other revenue grew 84% Y/Y to $85M, and its brand ad revenue grew 33% Y/Y to $133M.
- Revenue related to the Sogou search engine (largely search/other) rose 30% Q/Q and 82% Y/Y to $91M. Average monthly active accounts for Changyou's games fell 14% Q/Q and 33% Y/Y to 24M. Changyou's platform channel accounts grew 5% Q/Q and 196% Y/Y to 252M.
- Q2 results: Sohu, Changyou
Jul. 28, 2014, 2:39 AM
Jul. 27, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 25, 2014, 5:32 PM
- Goldman has raised its 2014-2016 Baidu (BIDU +10.9%) EPS estimates by 17%-23% following its sizable Q2 EPS beat and above-consensus Q3 guidance, and hiked its target by $35 to $260. BofA/Merrill, Deutsche, and Piper have also raised their Baidu PTs.
- Goldman was pleased with several datapoints provided in the Q2 report and CC (transcript). Among them: 1) Baidu topped 500M mobile search monthly active users (MAUs) in June. 2) Maps MAUs have passed 200M. 3) Baidu's app distribution platforms (led by 91 Wireless) averaged 130M downloads/day in Q2. 4) The Nuomi daily deals unit (acquired from Renren) has seen its user base double since Q4.
- BofA/Merrill observes Baidu's aggressive spending growth is now being fueled more by hiring than by marketing spend, something it expects will translate into future leverage. Marketing spend fell to 11.5% of revenue from 14.1% in Q1, while R&D grew to 14.6% from 13.6%.
- Baidu made fresh highs today, and provided a lift to rivals Qihoo (QIHU +3.7%) and Sohu (SOHU +2.2%) along the way.
Apr. 28, 2014, 8:58 AM
- SOHU expects Q2 revenue of $397M-$411M and EPS of $1.25-$1.35. The former's $404M midpoint is unfavorable to a $409.1M consensus, and the latter is well below a -$0.62 consensus. Subsidiary Changyou (CYOU) expects Q2 revenue of $182M-$188M and EPS of -$0.26 to -$0.38, below a consensus of $191.4M and $0.08. The companies also offered light guidance three months ago.
- Pressuring Sohu's Q1 EPS: Opex rose 17% Q/Q and 122% Y/Y to $295M, thanks largely to Changyou's marketing/promotional spend and new employee incentive plans. Like peers, Changyou is spending aggressively to hold its ground in a fiercely competitive Chinese gaming market.
- Also taking a toll: Sohu's gross margin fell 200 bps Q/Q and 400 bps Y/Y to 62%, due in part to higher amortization costs for licensed video content.
- Brand ad sales rose 38% Y/Y in Q1 to $111M, after growing 50% in Q4. Thanks in part to the acquisition of Tencent's Soso search unit, search revenue rose 78% to $64M; mobile search traffic rose 24% Q/Q, and PC traffic "edged up."
- Online game revenue (via Changyou) fell 2% Y/Y to $163M, after growing 9% in Q4. Changyou's gaming average monthly accounts totaled 28M, +12% Q/Q but -26% Y/Y due to declines for TLBB, Wartune, and DDTank. Changyou's platform channel accounts (video site, browser, etc.) rose 60% Q/Q and 182% Y/Y to 239M.
- Q1 results: Sohu, Changyou. PRs: Sohu, Changyou.
Apr. 28, 2014, 5:53 AM
Apr. 27, 2014, 5:30 PM
Apr. 24, 2014, 4:50 PM
- Baidu (BIDU) expects Q2 revenue of RMB11.82B-RMB-12.11B ($1.901B-$1.948B), above a consensus of RMB11.55B.
- Revenue growth accelerated to 59.1% in Q1 from 50.4% in Q4. Online ad customers fell 1.1% Q/Q to 446K after falling 2.8% in Q4, but revenue per ad customer remained steady Q/Q and rose 44.1% Y/Y to RMB20.9K ($3,362).
- As promised, Baidu continues to invest aggressively: SG&A spend soared 136.9% Y/Y to $323.2M, thanks in large to mobile promotional efforts. R&D spend rose 57.5% to $205.4M.
- Traffic acquisition costs rose to 12.4% of revenue from 12.3% in Q4 and 10.2% a year ago. Content costs (fueled by online video licensing) rose to 4.1% of revenue from 3.8% in Q4 and 1.6% a year ago.
- Up in sympathy: SINA +1.6%. SOHU +1%. QIHU +2.6%. YY +1.1%. WB +1.5%. YOKU +1.7%.
- Q1 results, PR
SOHU vs. ETF Alternatives
Sohu.com Incis a Chinese online media, search, gaming, community and mobile service groupproviding comprehensive online products and services on PCs and mobile devices in the People's Republic of China.
Other News & PR