5d 1m 3m 1y 5y 10y
There are no Transcripts on SPXS.
at MarketWatch.com (Oct 31, 2013)
at MarketWatch.com (Sep 23, 2013)
at MarketWatch.com (Oct 31, 2013)
at MarketWatch.com (Sep 23, 2013)
SPXS vs. ETF Alternatives
The Daily S&P 500® Bear 3x ETF seeks daily investment results, before fees and expenses, of 300% of the inverse (or opposite) of the price performance of the S&P 500® Index. There is no guarantee the fund will meet its stated investment objective.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Country: United States
- In Your Portfolio: Core Building Blocks: A Guide to ETFs That Divide the U.S. Stock Market by Market Cap
- Asset Class Performance: Market Cap
Friday, Feb 217:03 AM
Friday, Feb 217:03 AM| 1 Comment
- Stock index futures are all ahead by about 0.2% as equities look to close the week with another gain.
- Europe is mixed, but with most markets near unchanged, and the Japanese yo-yo continues - last night is was up to the tune of 2.9%.
- The 10-year Treasury yield is up another basis point to 2.76% and gold is ahead by 0.4% to $1,322 per ounce.
- Index ETFs: SPY, IVE, SH, DIA, SSO, SDS, IVV, SPXU, UPRO, VOO, SPXL, SPXS, RSP, DOG, DXD, RWL, EPS, UDOW, SDOW, SPYG, DDM, IVW, RPG, IWB, RPV, SPYV, BXUB, VOOG, VOOV, VONE, TRND, SFLA, BXUC, ROLA, BXDB, FTA, ONEK, EWRI, LGLV
Tuesday, Feb 1110:07 AM
Tuesday, Feb 1110:07 AM| 31 Comments
- Making the rounds on trading desks is this chart of the DJIA (DIA) of the last 18 months superimposed on a chart of the index during the same time frame in 1928-1929. The short version: If form holds, the market is set for another epic crash.
- In the more nuanced version, the chart says little except for again proving the hardwired tendency of the human brain to see patterns where none exist, and one is reminded of similar exercises over the past few years making the case for the Dow breaching its financial crisis lows.
- Technical guru Tom DeMark, however, is starting to believe: “Originally, I drew [the chart] for entertainment purposes only ... Now it’s evolved into something more serious.”
- Tom McClellan: "There is no guarantee that the market has to continue following through with every step of the 1929 pattern. But between now and May 2014, there is plenty of reason for caution.”
- Large-cap ETFs: SPY, QQQ, SH, DIA, SSO, SDS, PSQ, IVV, SPXU, UPRO, VOO, SPLV, TQQQ, QID, PRF, SPXL, SPXS, RSP, DOG, SQQQ, QLD, DXD, RWL, EPS, UDOW, SDOW, USMV, DDM, VV, SCHX, IWB, NY, SPHB, BXUB, QQEW, QQQE, JKD, FEX, VONE, TRND, SFLA, EQL, BXUC, ROLA, QQXT, BXDB, EEH, ONEK, SPXH, TRSK, FWDD, EWRI, TNDQ, PXLC, LGLV, ALTL, SYE
Thursday, Dec 52013, 11:16 AM
Thursday, Dec 52013, 11:16 AM| 14 Comments
- A "public service" from John Hussman who presents this long-term chart of the S&P 500 (SPY -0.3%) matched against occasions when the Investors Intelligence poll registered Bears at less than 18.5%, the Shiller P/E ratio stood above 19, and the S&P 500 was at a 5-year high: 1973, 1987, 2007, and today.
- Index ETFs: SPY, QQQ, IVE, SH, DIA, SSO, SDS, PSQ, IVV, SPXU, UPRO, SPLV, VOO, QID, PRF, SPXS, SPXL, TQQQ, DOG, RSP, SQQQ, SKF, DXD, QLD, IWF, RWL, EPS, IWD, UDOW, SDOW, DDM, IVW, VV, SPYG, SCHX, IWB, RPG, SPHB, NY, SPYV, BXUB, RPV, VOOG, QQEW, QQQE, JKD, VONE, FEX, VOOV, TRND, EQL, ROLA, SFLA, FBG, BXUC, UKF, FTA, QQXT, ONEK, EEH, SPXH, TRSK, BXDB, UVG, EWRI, PXLC, VONG, VONV, FWDD, TNDQ, LGLV, ALTL, SJF, FIBG
Monday, Dec 22013, 7:15 AM
Monday, Dec 22013, 7:15 AM| 1 Comment
- Stock index futures are flat ahead of a busy week of economic data, beginning today with the PMI and ending on Friday with November payrolls.
- Europe's down moderately, and Asia was mixed overnight.
- The big mover is the 10-year Treasury yield - up 4 basis points to 2.79%.
- Index ETFs: SPY, QQQ, IVE, SH, DIA, SSO, SDS, PSQ, IVV, SPXU, UPRO, VOO, QID, SPXS, SPXL, TQQQ, DOG, RSP, SQQQ, DXD, QLD, RWL, EPS, IWD, UDOW, SDOW, DDM, IWB, SPYV, BXUB, RPV, QQEW, QQQE, VONE, VOOV, TRND, SFLA, ROLA, BXUC, FTA, QQXT, ONEK, BXDB, UVG, VONV, EWRI, TNDQ, LGLV, SJF
Tuesday, Nov 262013, 11:07 AM
Tuesday, Nov 262013, 11:07 AM| 6 Comments
- It's the bull market everyone continues to hate ... BAML's sell-side indicator - a contrarian take based on attitudes of strategists - continues to read in extreme bearish territory, suggesting more gains ahead for stocks. The level of bearishness now is actually greater than that of the March 2009 market bottom.
- Large cap ETFs: SPY, QQQ, SH, DIA, SSO, SDS, PSQ, IVV, SPXU, UPRO, SPLV, VOO, QID, PRF, SPXS, SPXL, TQQQ, DOG, RSP, SQQQ, DXD, QLD, RWL, EPS, UDOW, SDOW, DDM, VV, SCHX, IWB, SPHB, NY, BXUB, QQEW, QQQE, JKD, VONE, EQL, TRND, ROLA, SFLA, BXUC, QQXT, EEH, ONEK, TRSK, SPXH, BXDB, PXLC, FSU, FSE, EWRI, TNDQ, FWDD, LGLV, ALTL
Saturday, Nov 232013, 2:53 PM
Saturday, Nov 232013, 2:53 PM| 12 Comments
- As the taper approaches, it may be time to ring the register and book some gains, Barron's thinks. Add in the fact that the S&P's 26% YTD gain has "likely [left] many investors with a higher mix of stocks than they would prefer," and the issues isn't whether or not to sell, but rather "what to sell and where to put the cash."
- Food for thought from Jack Hough: "The S&P 500 trades above 17 times trailing earnings, versus a historical average of about 15 [and] U.S. shares are 57% more expensive than emerging markets and 67% more expensive than Europe" based on "a long-term average of earnings to adjust for cyclicality."
- Investors might want to consider putting small companies on the chopping block first, as they have outperformed their larger cap counterparts this year and their P/E premium to large caps has stretched well beyond its historical average.
- Small/Micro Cap ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, IWC, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, TWM, SCHA, RWM, SRTY, SAA, DWAS, VTWO, SBB, SDD, RSCO, JKJ, FDM, PZI, XSLV, WMCR, FYX, VIOO, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC
- Large Cap U.S. ETFs: SPY, QQQ, SH, DIA, SSO, SDS, PSQ, IVV, SPXU, UPRO, SPLV, VOO, QID, PRF, SPXS, SPXL, TQQQ, DOG, RSP, SQQQ, DXD, QLD, RWL, EPS, UDOW, SDOW, DDM, VV, SCHX, IWB, SPHB, NY, BXUB, QQEW, QQQE, JKD, VONE, EQL, TRND, ROLA, SFLA, BXUC, QQXT, EEH, ONEK, SPXH, TRSK, BXDB, PXLC, FSU, FSE, EWRI, FWDD, TNDQ, LGLV, ALTL
Thursday, Nov 212013, 4:39 PM
Thursday, Nov 212013, 4:39 PM| 4 Comments
- David Tepper shows us what a real bubble looks like, holding up a chart of P/E multiples from 1995-2000 vs. 2008-today. The 95-00 line goes straight up, while the 08-13 line is flattish. The first period was a clear bubble, but today isn't, and in fact deserves a much higher multiple than existed in 2008.
- Up about 40% this year, what's Appaloosa looking at for 2014? Tepper says he's recently put on a Treasury (TLT) short, but doesn't expect rates to go a whole lot higher.
- Stock index ETFs: SPY, QQQ, SH, DIA, SSO, SDS, PSQ, IVV, SPXU, UPRO, VOO, QID, SPXS, SPXL, DOG, TQQQ, RSP, SQQQ, DXD, QLD, RWL, EPS, UDOW, SDOW, DDM, IWB, BXUB, QQEW, QQQE, VONE, TRND, SFLA, ROLA, BXUC, QQXT, ONEK, BXDB, EWRI, LGLV, TNDQ
- Treasury ETFs: TBT, TLT, TMV, IEF, TBF, PST, EDV, TTT, TMF, TLH, ZROZ, SBND, IEI, DLBS, TYO, DTYS, VGLT, UST, UBT, TLO, TBX, VGIT, FSA, LBND, GSY, SCHR, DTYL, TYD, ITE, TENZ, TYBS, FIVZ, TBZ, DFVL, DLBL, DFVS, TYNS
Monday, Nov 112013, 8:51 AM
Monday, Nov 112013, 8:51 AM| 15 Comments
- "I don't want to miss out." a Los Angeles real estate appraiser said in a note to his financial adviser last week after seeing one pundit up his DJIA forecast to 20K.
- "Frankly, from 2009 until recently, I wanted to stay very conservative," says a technology sales manager. "I want to get more aggressive."
- A Houston attorney and stock market skeptic was turned by her Schwab statement showing YTD gains of nearly 20%. She's planning on set aside more of her paycheck for stocks. "Sometimes you feel like it's too late. But it's probably never too late."
- Inflows of $8.9B into long-only equity funds last week were the largest amount since March 2000. This follows October inflows into stock funds that were the 3rd largest on record.
- Index ETFs: SPY, QQQ, SH, DIA, IWM, TZA, TNA, SSO, SDS, PSQ, IVV, SPXU, UWM, SPLV, UPRO, VOO, QID, MDY, VB, SPXS, PRF, SPXL, DOG, TQQQ, IJR, RSP, SQQQ, DXD, SLY, QLD, MVV, RWJ, RWL, IJH, EPS, VO, TWM, URTY, SCHA, SDOW, UDOW, DDM, EZM, MIDU, VV, RWK, RWM, SRTY, SCHX, IWB, UMDD, IWR, SPHB, NY, SAA, BXUB, SCHM, DWAS, QQEW, VTWO, MIDZ, QQQE, MZZ, JKD, IVOO, DIM, VONE, SBB, RSCO, EQL, FNX, JKJ, CZA, SDD, ROLA, TRND, SFLA, XMLV, BXUC, XSLV, JKG, SMDD, MYY, FYX, QQXT, VIOO, EEH, ONEK, TRSK, TRNM, SPXH, EWRS, TWOK, FSE, BXDB, EWRI, FSU, PXLC, SMLV, FWDD, TNDQ, LGLV, EWRM, ALTL, PXMC, PXSC
Friday, Nov 12013, 12:03 PM
Friday, Nov 12013, 12:03 PM| 21 Comments
- Investors poured another $12.4B into global equity funds in the week ended Wednesday, with BAML's Michael Hartnett saying another $8B-$9B of inflows over the next two weeks would trigger a contrarian sell signal in his firm's flow-based model.
- This would coincide with BAML's Bull & Bear Index, which is getting a little to bullish for comfort. Fund manager cash levels were at 4.4% in October. A dip below 4% in November, says Hartnett, would trigger a bright red Sell alert.
- Stock index ETFs: SPY, QQQ, SH, DIA, IWM, VTI, TZA, TNA, SSO, SDS, PSQ, IWC, IVV, SPXU, UWM, SPLV, UPRO, VOO, QID, MDY, VB, SPXS, PRF, SPXL, DOG, TQQQ, IJR, RSP, DXD, SQQQ, SLY, QLD, PRFZ, MVV, RWJ, RWL, IJH, EPS, VO, SCHB, TWM, URTY, SCHA, SDOW, UDOW, VXF, USMV, DDM, EZM, MIDU, VV, RWM, RWK, IWV, SRTY, SCHX, IWB, ITOT, ONEQ, PDP, UMDD, IWR, OEF, SPHB, IYY, MGC, NY, SAA, SCHM, BXUB, DWAS, QQEW, VTWO, XLG, NYC, MIDZ, MZZ, QQQE, QUAL, DIM, IVOO, JKD, SBB, VONE, EXT, RSCO, CZA, FNX, EQL, JKJ, FVI, SDD, EUSA, ROLA, PZI, FDM, SFLA, TRND, RTLA, XMLV, THRK, XSLV, JKG, BXUC, SMDD, WMCR, MYY, FYX, QQXT, VIOO, TRNM, ONEK, EEH, SPXH, TRSK, IWL, VTHR, EWRS, TWOK, FSE, FSU, PXLC, EWRI, PWO, TOTS, SMLV, BXDB, EWRM, LGLV, UWC, TNDQ, FNDB, FWDD, ALTL, FMK, PXSC, SIZE, PXMC, PIQ, TWQ
Thursday, Oct 312013, 7:08 AM
Thursday, Oct 312013, 7:08 AM| 4 Comments
- Still coming to grips with the slightest hawkish twist to the FOMC statement yesterday afternoon, S&P 500 (SPY) futures are down 0.25% and the Nasdaq 100 (QQQ) is off 0.45%. Facebook soared after a big earnings beat last night, then actually turned red during the earnings call, but is now higher by 3% in the premarket.
- Europe opened to the downside, but is now mostly higher, and Asia was solidly lower overnight.
- Treasury yields have regained some of their composure, the 10-year yield falling 3 basis points to 2.51%, after shooting higher yesterday afternoon post-statement. Gold's off 1% to $1,.335 per ounce.
- ETFs: SPY, QQQ, SH, DIA, IWM, VTI, TZA, TNA, SSO, SDS, PSQ, IWC, IVV, SPXU, SPLV, UWM, UPRO, VOO, QID, MDY, VB, SPXS, PRF, SPXL, DOG, TQQQ, IJR, RSP, DXD, SQQQ, SLY, QLD, PRFZ, MVV, RWJ, RWL, IJH, EPS, VO, SCHB, TWM, URTY, SCHA, SDOW, UDOW, VXF, USMV, DDM, EZM, VV, MIDU, RWM, RWK, IWV, SRTY, SCHX, ITOT, IWB, ONEQ, PDP, IWR, UMDD, OEF, SPHB, IYY, MGC, NY, SAA, SCHM, BXUB, DWAS, QQEW, VTWO, XLG, NYC, MIDZ, MZZ, QUAL, QQQE, DIM, IVOO, JKD, VONE, SBB, EXT, RSCO, CZA, FVI, FNX, JKJ, EQL, EUSA, PZI, SDD, FDM, ROLA, SFLA, RTLA, TRND, XMLV, THRK, XSLV, JKG, BXUC, SMDD, WMCR, MYY, FYX, QQXT, VIOO, EEH, TRNM, ONEK, SPXH, TRSK, IWL, EWRS, VTHR, TWOK, FSE, PXLC, EWRI, FSU, SMLV, BXDB, PWO, TOTS, EWRM, LGLV, TNDQ, UWC, FWDD, ALTL, FMK, FNDB, PXSC, PXMC, SIZE, PIQ, TWQ.
Thursday, Jul 252013, 4:46 PMDirexion sets splits on 9 of its leveraged funds after big moves made the shares too expensive or (more frequently) sent them too close to $0. The Gold Miners Bull 3x ETF (NUGT) is up for its 2nd reverse split of the year, 1:10 this time after going 1:5 in April Other reverse splits: S&P 500 Bear 3x (SPXS) 1:5, India Bull 3x (INDL) 1:4, Real Estate Bear 3x (DRV) 1:4, Semiconductor Bear 3x (SOXS) 1:4, Developed Markets Bear 3x (DPK) 1:4, Natural Gas Related Bear 3x (GASX) 1:4. Regular splits: Gold Miners Bear 3x (DUST) 2:1, Healthcare Bull 3x (CURE) 2:1. |Thursday, Jul 252013, 4:46 PM| Comment!
Monday, Jun 252012, 8:22 AMDirexion changes the benchmark indices tracked by several of its funds (along with some symbols and names), effective June 29. BGU, BGZ, MWJ, MWN, THY, TYP, ERX, and ERY will go from tracking Russell indexes to those from S&P. All symbol, name, and index changes here. |Monday, Jun 252012, 8:22 AM| Comment!
Wednesday, Nov 302011, 9:05 AMPremarket gainers: AMR +46%. MT +11%. FRO +10%. BCS +10%. IRE +9%. DB +9%. GBG +9%. CX +9%. STP +9%. RBS +8%. ING +8%. PCX +8%. BSBR +8%. LYG +8%. RCL +8%. RIO +8%. CS +8%. RDN +8%. MS +8%. X +7%. BHP +7%. FCX +7%. BBD +7%. BBVA +7%. MTL +7%. BP +7%. PHM +7%. GGB +7%. JPM +7%. AEG +7%. C +7%. TS +7%. UBS +7%. AKS +7%. ANR +6%. DANG +6%.
Losers are mainly just leveraged short ETFs: EDZ -15%. TCIX -14%. SRTY -13%. TZA -13%. FAZ -11%. OVTI -11%. ERY -10%. BGZ -10%. EEV -10%. SPXU -9%. SQQQ -9%. TWM -8%. SKF -7%. VXX -7%. SDS -6%. QID -6%. DXD -5%. DTO -5%. RWM -4%. ZSL -4%. SCO -4%. DZZ -4%. BBEP -3%. SH -3%. PSQ -3%. EUO -3%. |Wednesday, Nov 302011, 9:05 AM| Comment!
Monday, Nov 282011, 9:00 AMPremarket gainers: IRE +15%. ING +12%. AEG +11%. PEIX +11%. POZN +11%. DB +10%. MT +9%. BCS +9%. GNW +9%. MPEL +9%. YOKU +9%. ANR +8%. LYG +8%. RBS +8%. NOK +8%. UBS +7%. FRO +7%. AKS +7%. MTL +7%. STD +7%. FCX +7%. DRYS +6%. ERIC +6%. MS +6%. LNG +6%. RIO +6%. AMRN +6%. BHP +6%. PHG +6%. S +6%. HAL +6%. ALU +6%. X +6%.
Losers: no losers of note, except leveraged short ETFs: TVIX -13%. EDZ -12%. ERY -10%. SRTY -10%. TZA -10%. FAZ -10%. SPXU -8%. BGZ -8%. SQQQ -7%. ZSL -7%. VXX -7%. SCO -6%. SKF -6%. SDS -5%. QID -5%. DXD -4%. RWM -3%. SH -3%. |Monday, Nov 282011, 9:00 AM| 1 Comment
Thursday, Sep 222011, 9:00 AMPremarket gainers: GR +10%. RHT +6%.. Leveraged short ETFs: TVIX +20%. EDZ +16%. BZQ +15%. ZSL +13%. SRTY +11%. TZA +11%. BGZ +10%. SPXU +9%. SQQQ +9%. TYP +8%. TWM +8%. FAZ +8%. SDS +6%. DXD +6%. QID +6%. SH +3%.
Losers: SOL -8%. VALE -8%. RIO -8%. SVM -7%. MT -7%. PBR -6%. TS -7%. LYG -6%. MCP -7%. MPEL -7%. DRYS -6%. SLW -6%. RF -6%. AKS -6%. PCX -6%. BHP -6%. JDSU -7%. AUY -6%. FCX -6%. SDRL -6%. NYX -6%. GFI -6%. ING -6%. TEF -6%. AU -6%. ARMH -5%. TOT -6%. ALU -6%. |Thursday, Sep 222011, 9:00 AM| Comment!
Thursday, Aug 122010, 9:00 AM
Instablogs are blogs which are instantly set up and networked within the Seeking Alpha community. Instablog posts are not selected, edited or screened by Seeking Alpha editors, in contrast to contributors' articles.