Nov. 10, 2014, 10:21 AM
Nov. 7, 2014, 9:45 AM
- E.W. Scripps (SSP +2.8%) reports a 21.9% rise in TV segment to $121.07M in Q3.
- Political advertising improved drastically during the period to $17.4M (Year ago sales $1.04M).
- Retransmission fees up 46.4% to $15.24M.
- Newspaper revenue fell 4.4% to $84.47M.
- Operating expenses +3.7% to $204.94M.
- Q4 Guidance: Television revenues, as a percentage, to increase in upper 20s, including $33.0M in Political advertising & $15.0M in Retransmission revenue. Television expenses to increase low teens. Newspaper revenues to decline mid-single digits and expenses to decline low single digits. Shared services and corporate expenses to be less than $15.0M.
Nov. 7, 2014, 7:39 AM
Nov. 6, 2014, 5:30 PM
Aug. 11, 2014, 1:45 PM
- There's some asset re-allocation going on in the media sector with a group of newspapers stocks piling on some gains - while select TV broadcaster and digital media stocks head in the other direction.
- The flurry of merger and spinoff news within the sector has created more pure-play bets and consolidated some firms into larger players.
- Analysts have noted the extra volatility in the sector has created more buy/sell opportunities than normal on mismatched valuation.
- Gainers: McClatchy (NYSE:MNI) +3.0%, Lee Enterprises (NYSE:LEE) +3.3%, New Media Investment (NYSE:NEWM) +4.4%.
- Decliners: E.W. Scripps (NYSE:SSP) -3.6%, Media General (NYSE:MEG) -2.1%, Journal Communication (NYSE:JRN) -3.4%.
- Related ETF: PBS
Aug. 8, 2014, 7:51 AM
Aug. 8, 2014, 7:38 AM
Jul. 31, 2014, 12:45 PM
Jul. 31, 2014, 10:10 AM
- E.W. Scripps (SSP +9.5%) and Journal Communications (JRN +24.1%) announce they will merge their broadcast operations and spin off the businesses as a new publicly traded company.
- The newspaper businesses of both entities will then be merged into a new entity called Journal Media Group.
- The deals are expected to close in 2015.
Jul. 31, 2014, 9:11 AM| 4 Comments
Jun. 25, 2014, 12:11 PM
- Sinclair Broadcast (SBGI +14.1%), Media General (MEG +10.4%), E.W. Scripps (SSP +7.9%), Gray Television (GTN +7.5%), Meredith (MDP +4.3%), Gannett (GCI +3.8%), and Nextar (NXST +15.6%) are taking off after the Supreme Court ruled (by a 6-3 vote) Aereo's TV streaming service is illegal.
- National broadcast network owners are generally showing more moderate gains.
May. 12, 2014, 1:20 PM
- TV broadcast stocks are outperforming for the day after the sector was tapped by M.D. Sass to soar.
- The investment firm notes there is a disconnect between the 10% of carriage fee revenue broadcasters haul in compared to the 35% of total viewing they account for across the industry. A normalization of the revenue mix is in the "early inning," according to Sass.
- A timely initiation by Wells Fargo of Media General at Outperform is also giving a boost.
- Gainers: E.W. Scripps (SSP) +7.6%, Nexstar Broadcasting (NXST) +5.7%, Media General (MEG) +4.8%, Liberty Interactive (LVNTA) +1.9%, Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBGI) +1.9%, Gray Television (GTN) +1.7%.
May. 9, 2014, 7:36 AM
Mar. 21, 2014, 8:13 AM
- Broadcast media names get jiggy after Media General agrees to buy Lin Media for nearly double last night's close.
- Gray Television (GTN) +9.2% premarket, Nexstar Broadcasting (NXST) +3.2%, E.W. Scripps (SSP) +1.1%. Keep an eye on Entravision Communication (EVC) as well, along with the PowerShares Dynamic Media Portfolio (PBS).
Mar. 17, 2014, 2:22 PM
- A dour warning from Wells Fargo on broadcaster stocks is wreaking havoc in the sector.
- The group is giving up much of the M&A premiums it had built up over the last few months.
- Decliners: Gray Television (GTN) -12.5%, Nexstar Broadcasting (NXST) -9.1%, inclair Broadcast Group (SBGI) -7.4%, E.W. Scripps (SSP) -5.4%, Entravision Communication (EVC) -2.7%, Media General (MEG) -5.0%.
- The PowerShares Dynamic Media ETF (PBS) is under-performing a bit today due to its exposure to the group.
Mar. 4, 2014, 1:08 PM| Comment!
SSP vs. ETF Alternatives
E. W. Scripps Company is a media enterprise with interests in television stations, newspapers, and local and national digital media sites. It operates in three segments namely television, newspaper and syndication.
Other News & PR