Aug. 8, 2014, 7:51 AM
Aug. 8, 2014, 7:38 AM
Jul. 31, 2014, 12:45 PM
Jul. 31, 2014, 10:10 AM
- E.W. Scripps (SSP +9.5%) and Journal Communications (JRN +24.1%) announce they will merge their broadcast operations and spin off the businesses as a new publicly traded company.
- The newspaper businesses of both entities will then be merged into a new entity called Journal Media Group.
- The deals are expected to close in 2015.
Jul. 31, 2014, 9:11 AM| 4 Comments
Jun. 25, 2014, 12:11 PM
- Sinclair Broadcast (SBGI +14.1%), Media General (MEG +10.4%), E.W. Scripps (SSP +7.9%), Gray Television (GTN +7.5%), Meredith (MDP +4.3%), Gannett (GCI +3.8%), and Nextar (NXST +15.6%) are taking off after the Supreme Court ruled (by a 6-3 vote) Aereo's TV streaming service is illegal.
- National broadcast network owners are generally showing more moderate gains.
May. 12, 2014, 1:20 PM
- TV broadcast stocks are outperforming for the day after the sector was tapped by M.D. Sass to soar.
- The investment firm notes there is a disconnect between the 10% of carriage fee revenue broadcasters haul in compared to the 35% of total viewing they account for across the industry. A normalization of the revenue mix is in the "early inning," according to Sass.
- A timely initiation by Wells Fargo of Media General at Outperform is also giving a boost.
- Gainers: E.W. Scripps (SSP) +7.6%, Nexstar Broadcasting (NXST) +5.7%, Media General (MEG) +4.8%, Liberty Interactive (LVNTA) +1.9%, Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBGI) +1.9%, Gray Television (GTN) +1.7%.
May. 9, 2014, 7:36 AM
Mar. 21, 2014, 8:13 AM
- Broadcast media names get jiggy after Media General agrees to buy Lin Media for nearly double last night's close.
- Gray Television (GTN) +9.2% premarket, Nexstar Broadcasting (NXST) +3.2%, E.W. Scripps (SSP) +1.1%. Keep an eye on Entravision Communication (EVC) as well, along with the PowerShares Dynamic Media Portfolio (PBS).
Mar. 17, 2014, 2:22 PM
- A dour warning from Wells Fargo on broadcaster stocks is wreaking havoc in the sector.
- The group is giving up much of the M&A premiums it had built up over the last few months.
- Decliners: Gray Television (GTN) -12.5%, Nexstar Broadcasting (NXST) -9.1%, inclair Broadcast Group (SBGI) -7.4%, E.W. Scripps (SSP) -5.4%, Entravision Communication (EVC) -2.7%, Media General (MEG) -5.0%.
- The PowerShares Dynamic Media ETF (PBS) is under-performing a bit today due to its exposure to the group.
Mar. 4, 2014, 1:08 PM| Comment!
Mar. 4, 2014, 7:33 AM| Comment!
Mar. 4, 2014, 7:33 AM| Comment!
Feb. 13, 2014, 1:58 PM
- E.W. Scripps (SSP +0.7%) says it doesn't expect the Comcast-TWC merger to have any impact on retransmission revenue for at least two years.
- The company has forecast retransmission revenue will top $50M this year and then double that amount for 2015.
- The long-term view on retransmission revenue will depend on the details of the Comcast-TWC merger.
Feb. 12, 2014, 12:27 PM
Feb. 10, 2014, 10:32 AM
SSP vs. ETF Alternatives
The E W Scripps Cois a media enterprise with interests in television stations, newspapers, and local and national digital media sites. It operates in three segments namely television, newspaper and syndication.
Other News & PR