Aug. 27, 2014, 12:46 PM| Aug. 27, 2014, 12:46 PM | Comment!
Jul. 29, 2014, 6:21 PM
Jul. 22, 2014, 8:53 AM| Jul. 22, 2014, 8:53 AM | Comment!
Jul. 16, 2014, 8:21 AM
- St. Jude Medical (NYSE:STJ) Q2 results: Total Revenues: $1,448M (+3.2%); ICD: $462M (+1.8%); Pacemakers: $271M (+2.7%); AF: $257M (+8.4%); Cardiovascular: $351M (+3.2%); Neuromodulation: $107M (-0.9%).
- COGS: $433M (+13.4%); R&D Expense: $178M (+2.9%); SG&A Expense: $523M (+7.0%); Net Income: $270M (+134.8%); EPS: $0.93 (+132.5%); Quick Assets: $1,580M (+29.5%).
- Gross Profit: $1,015M (-0.6%); COGS%: 29.9% (+9.8%); Gross Margin%: 70.1% (-3.7%); Operating Profit: $314M (-12.5%); Operating Earnings Yield: 21.7% (-15.3%); Net Earnings Yield: 18.6% (+127.5%).
- 2014 EPS guidance raised to $3.96 - 4.01 from $3.76 - 3.81 on revenues of $5.64B - 5.76B.
Jul. 16, 2014, 7:31 AM
Jul. 15, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 14, 2014, 9:58 AM
- St. Jude Medical (STJ -0.8%) enters into a definitive agreement to acquire privately-held NeuroTherm, a maker of interventional pain management therapies, for ~$200M in cash. The company expects to conclude the transaction in late Q3. NeuroTherm will add $10M - 15M to STJ's top-line sales in 2014.
- NeuroTherm's technology utilizes radiofrequency ablation (RFA) to treat spinal pain.
May 28, 2014, 12:58 PM
May 14, 2014, 7:54 AM
- Surgical teams at Los Angeles' Cedar Sinai Hospital and New York's Lenox Hill Hospital successfully implant St. Jude Medical's (STJ) Portico Transcatheter Aortic Heart Valve signifying the start of the PORTICO clinical trial. The product is fully repositionable until fully deployed. Trial patients will be those who have a high or extreme surgical risk for open-heart surgery.
- The product is CE Mark-designated in Europe but investigational in the U.S.
May 7, 2014, 12:18 PM
- The FDA approves the Entovis pacemaker system with ProMRI technology made by Berlin, Germany's Biotronik. The device allows patients to undergo MRI scans with a limited exclusion zone. Entovis patients need only to alert radiology staff and they will verify that they are eligible to undergo the imaging. The company believes that this is a significant advantage over MRI-conditional pacers. The FDA's approval covers both single and dual chamber pacemakers when implanted with Setrox leads.
- Recent research finds that there is a 50 - 75% probability that patients implanted with a pacemaker or defibrillator will need an MRI at some point in their lives.
- (BSX) (MDT) (STJ)
Apr. 30, 2014, 6:41 PM
Apr. 16, 2014, 7:57 AM
- St. Jude Medical (STJ) Q1 net profit $249M vs $223M.
- Constant currency sales +4%.
- Sales breakdown: Cardiac Rhythm Management (CRM) +1% to $687M, with U.S. ICD sales +5%; Atrial Fibrillation (AF) +8% to $251M; Cardiovascular -1% to $326M; Neuromodulation flat at $99M.
- Outlook: Q2 adjusted EPS of $0.99-1.01 vs consensus of $1 and revenues of $1.38-1.46B vs $1.44B; FY EPS of $3.95-4.00 vs $4.30 and revenue of $5.61-5.76B vs $5.96B.
- St. Jude expects four new CRM product approvals in the U.S. to accelerate sales in H2. (PR)
Apr. 16, 2014, 7:32 AM
Apr. 16, 2014, 12:05 AM
Apr. 15, 2014, 5:30 PM
Apr. 9, 2014, 4:44 PM
- Some leading U.S. and European cardiologists favor curbs on sales or an outright moratorium on renal denervation devices.
- After Medtronic's (MDT +0.7%) Simplicity clinical trial failed to meet its efficacy endpoint doctors question the continued use of the product to treat high blood pressure in patients who fail to gain enough of a benefit from drugs.
- The therapy is currently approved in more than 80 countries. Analysts believe the U.S. market would be $3B if and when the FDA approves a device for the indication.
- The renal denervation procedure uses a catheter to insert the device through the groin and into the kidney where it applies RF pulses to the renal arteries to damage the nerve endings in the vascular wall. Physicians believe these nerves contribute to elevated blood pressure.
- (BSX) (STJ)
STJ vs. ETF Alternatives
St Jude Medical Inc develops, manufactures and distributes cardiovascular medical devices for global cardiac rhythm management, cardiovascular, atrial fibrillation therapy areas and neurostimulation medical devices for the management of chronic pain.
Other News & PR