Feb. 26, 2014, 11:24 AM
- Chip stocks are outperforming (SOXX +1.1%) after Avago (AVGO +5.1%) posted an FQ1 beat and strong margin numbers (albeit while guiding light, as many expected), and STMicroelectronics (STM +3.9%) exec Paul Grimme states his company's European sales are stabilizing, with Germany leading the way.
- Notable winners: AMBA +5.4%. AMCC +5.2%. CRUS +3.3%. SWKS +3%. QUIK +4.1%. INVN +2.7%. RFMD +3.5%. TQNT +3%. SIMO +2.7%. CAVM +3.6%. Nearly all of the aforementioned names have strong mobile and/or telecom equipment exposure.
- RBC has hiked its Avago PT to $66 from $64, and says the chipmaker remains its "top play on China and global LTE deployments." With LSI in tow, the firm thinks FY15 (ends Oct. '15) EPS will top $5.
- Morgan Stanley ($68 PT) is confident Avago can raise LSI's op. margin to 30% from 17% over the next few years, much as the company has doubled its own op. margin to 30% post-LBO.
- Chip ETFs: SMH, XSD, PSI, SOXL, USD, SOXS, SSG
Feb. 10, 2014, 5:18 PM
- MEMS motion sensor archrivals InvenSense (INVN) and STMicroelectronics (STM) have settled their long-running patent dispute and entered into a cross-licensing agreement.
- Deal terms are confidential; neither company "has made any admission of liability." InvenSense and STMicro had been waging legal battles at multiple U.S. courts, as well as with the USPTO and ITC.
- InvenSense investors have responded by bidding shares back above $20. They rose 5.8% in regular trading.
Jan. 27, 2014, 7:05 PM
- Silicon Motion (SIMO) expects Q1 revenue to be flat to down 10% Q/Q vs.a consensus for a 2% decline. However, the company also expects 2014 revenue to be up 5%-15% Y/Y vs. a consensus for 5% growth. Shares +4.8% AH. (Q4 results, PR)
- STMicroelectronics (STM) expects Q1 revenue to decline 9.5% Q/Q (+/- 3.5%); that's worse than a consensus for a 7% drop. Shares unchanged AH for now. (Q4 results, PR)
- Sanmina (SANM) expects FQ2 revenue of $1.425B-$1.475B and EPS of $0.36-$0.42 vs. a consensus of $1.45B and $0.37. Shares +7.1% AH. (FQ1 results, PR)
Jan. 27, 2014, 4:52 PM| Comment!
Jan. 27, 2014, 12:10 AM
Jan. 26, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jan. 17, 2014, 1:44 PM
- OTR Global reports InvenSense (INVN +0.6%) has won a MEMS motion sensor socket for Samsung's Galaxy S5 (expected to launch in mid-March), and in doing so has displaced archrival STMicroelectronics (STM -3.4%).
- InvenSense already gets over 30% of its sales from Samsung, and has been seeing rising design win activity at the smartphone giant.
Jan. 9, 2014, 9:41 AM
- Alcatel-Lucent (ALU -4.6%) has been cut to Hold by Deutsche, while rival Ericsson (ERIC -0.2%) has been upgraded to Buy. However, Morgan Stanley has started Alcatel at Overweight.
- Nvidia (NVDA -2.1%) has been cut to Hold by Canaccord a few days after unveiling its Tegra K1 app processors.
- Angie's List (ANGI +9.1%) has been upgraded to Strong Buy by Raymond James.
- Autodesk (ADSK +2.1%) has been upgraded to Overweight by Evercore.
- Chipmaker STMicroelectronics (STM -1.2%) has been cut to Sell by Deutsche, and CPU core licensing giant ARM (ARMH -5.5%) has been cut to Hold.
- EXFO (EXFO -8.3%) has been cut to Hold by TD Securities, and to Underperform by CIBC, after missing FQ1 estimates and providing soft FQ2 guidance.
- ASML (ASML +0.9%) has been started at Buy by ING.
Jan. 7, 2014, 9:55 AM
- LinkedIn (LNKD -1.5%) has been cut to Neutral by BofA/Merrill. Other sell-side firms have aired cautious notes in recent weeks.
- Workday (WDAY +2.9%) has been upgraded to Buy by UBS.
- Glu Mobile (GLUU +4.1%) has been upgraded to Buy by Craig-Hallum.
- IGT (IGT -0.8%) has been cut to Hold by Argus.
- STMicroelectronics (STM -2.7%) has been cut to Underweight by Barclays.
- 8x8 (EGHT +2.2%) has been started at Buy by Needham.
- Nimble Storage (NMBL +1%) has received three bullish ratings and three neutral ones on underwriter coverage day.
Dec. 5, 2013, 3:54 PM
- As predicted by many investors and analysts, Alcatel-Lucent (ALU +3.6%) is returning to France's benchmark CAC-40 index. NYSE Euronext says the telecom equipment giant will be added back on Dec. 23, and replace chipmaker STMicroelectronics (STM -1.2%).
- Alcatel, buoyed by a debt restructuring and improving margins, has made fresh 2-year highs today, and is now up 224% YTD. STM, which has been posting Y/Y revenue drops and contending with the unraveling of its ST-Ericsson mobile chip JV, is up 5% YTD, but well off its summer highs.
Nov. 20, 2013, 4:48 PM
- During a Morgan Stanley conference talk, STMicroelectronics (STM +3.6%) CEO Carlo Bozotti states his company's bookings improved a bit in October from Q3 levels, something that gives him "comfort." Bozotti also says automotive chip demand remains healthy.
- Expectations for STM have been muted, particularly after the European chipmaker delivered a Q3 miss and below-consensus guidance last month.
- The automotive market was an area of strength for STM in Q3: While the company's total sales fell 7% Y/Y to $2.01B, its automotive sales rose 7% to $418M.
Oct. 28, 2013, 10:11 AM
- Maxim's Ashok Kumar reports InvenSense's (INVN -2.9%) motion sensors haven't been designed into the iPad Air or retina iPad Mini. This suggests InvenSense rival and traditional Apple motion sensor supplier STMicroelectronics (STM +0.3%) has secured the slots.
- Back in June, Kumar accurately forecast InvenSense wouldn't be designed into Apple's 2013 iPhones before partly backtracking. At the time, many on the sell-side had a different view of things.
- InvenSense's FQ2 report arrives tomorrow afternoon.
Oct. 25, 2013, 9:44 AM
- Constant Contact (CTCT +24.9%) has been upgraded to Buy by Needham after issuing mixed Q3 results and strong 2014 revenue guidance (13% growth vs. 11.9% consensus).
- Sony (SNE +0.6%) has been upgraded to Outperform by Credit Suisse. FQ2 results arrive on Oct. 31.
- Monolithic Power (MPWR +15.8%) has been upgraded to Outperform by Oppenheimer after beating Q3 estimates and issuing in-line Q4 guidance.
- ASX (ASX +2%) has been upgraded to Outperform by Bernstein.
- NCR (NCR -5.7%) has been cut to Neutral by Compass Point after posting mixed Q3 results and reiterating its full-year guidance.
- Rogers (RCI -0.9%) has been cut to Hold by Canaccord a day after posting Q3 results. Macquarie downgraded shares yesterday.
- STMicroelectronics (STM -0.6%) has been cut to Neutral by Goldman three days after missing Q3 estimates and providing weaker-than-expected Q4 guidance.
- WageWorks (WAGE +3.1%) has been started at Buy by SunTrust.
Oct. 23, 2013, 9:11 AM
Oct. 22, 2013, 6:48 PM
Oct. 22, 2013, 12:10 AM
STM vs. ETF Alternatives
STMicroelectronics NV designs, develops, manufactures and markets semiconductor products used in different microelectronic applications, including automotive products, computer peripherals, telecommunications systems, consumer products, & control systems.
Other News & PR