Thu, Oct. 1, 5:49 PM| Thu, Oct. 1, 5:49 PM | Comment!
Sun, Sep. 20, 12:53 PM
- Publix is the latest large grocery store chain to step into the home delivery game. The private chain is using Shipt to delivery online orders to a large swath of Atlanta. Shipt offers the same type of delivery service as Peapod, Instacart, Amazon Fresh (NASDAQ:AMZN), and FreshDirect.
- Looking to keep market share, Kroger (NYSE:KR) and SuperValu (NYSE:SVU) have pick-up options for online orders and are dabbling with home delivery.
- Target (NYSE:TGT) has tipped that it would like to "test" grocery delivery in the future and already has a curbside pickup option at some stores. Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) is also testing various online grocery programs.
- Though Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM), Trader Joe's, Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM), and The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) still hold an advantage with consumers for fresh produce - analysts note the specialty grocery category is getting crowded. Whole Foods is the company with the most advanced home delivery program (1-hour in some markets) in the group.
- Data dive: Online grocery shopping is estimated to be growing at a 25% to 30% rate. Perhaps an even more important statistic is that 87% of online shoppers use more than one store for their grocery needs in a trend that could pressure pricing.
Sat, Sep. 12, 10:47 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) is poised to unlock value for shareholders with another spinoff, tip analysts.
- Telsey Advisory Group notes the company could focus on food distribution if the Save-A-Lot chain was set free. During the last Supervalu earnings call (transcript), execs said the company has begun the process of separating Save-A-Lot without setting a specific timetable.
- Uncertainty around Supervalu, including news this week of the bankruptcy of wholesale customer Haggen, has pushed shares below $8. Current valuation looks attractive to investment firms and SA contributors busy working out sum-of-the-parts math on the grocery stock. A run-up to $10-$13 could be in the works.
Mon, Aug. 10, 1:55 PM
Tue, Jul. 28, 12:40 PM
Tue, Jul. 28, 12:39 PM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) pops after the company disclosed it's considering a spinoff of the Save-A-Lot chain.
- Shares of the grocery store operator are up 18.9% to $8.75. Supervalu hasn't traded over $10 since late April.
- Guggenheim Securities is a tad cautious on the development, warning Save-A-Lot faces competitive challenges as a stand-alone.
- Tesley Advisory Group notes a spinoff leaves Supervalu without its crown jewel.
- Previously: Supervalu eyes spinoff of Save-A-Lot (Jul. 28 2015)
Tue, Jul. 28, 9:37 AM| Tue, Jul. 28, 9:37 AM | 1 Comment
Tue, Jul. 28, 8:23 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales rose 3.8% to $1.41B in FQ1.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network increased 2.8%.
- Retail Food sales grew 3% to $1.47B whereas identical store sales declined 0.3%.
- Independent Business sales increased 1.7% to $2.46B
- Gross profit rate improved 60 bps to 15%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.0%.
- Operating margin rate +30 bps to 2.9%.
Tue, Jul. 28, 8:02 AM
Wed, Jun. 24, 8:46 AM
- Grocery store stocks could see some volatility after Ahold agrees to buy Delhaize.
- Retail analysts think the sector could see more M&A with the presence of larger retail chains such as Target and Wal-Mart placing some pressure on companies to scale up.
- On watch: Kroger (NYSE:KR), Supervalu (NYSE:SVU), Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY), Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA), Village Super Market (NASDAQ:VLGEA), Weis Markets (NYSE:WMK), Fairway Group Holdings (NASDAQ:FWM).
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize agree to merger
Thu, May 14, 9:47 PM
- Consolidation in the grocery industry could pick up even more, observes Supermarket News.
- A large merger between Albertsons and Safeway (NYSE:SWY) has been followed by talks between Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY).
- The increased push by Wal-Mart and Target in the sector has added pressure to leverage store growth through M&A.
- "There is mounting pressure in the supermarket industry to consolidate operations to drive better purchasing power and leverage distribution and technology platforms," notes Wolfe Research.
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is seen as a likely candidate to look for a chain to acquire.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May 12)
- Grocery stocks: RNDY, SVU, VLGEA, WFM, CASY, IMKTA, OTCPK:PUSH, TFM, SFM, WMK.
Mon, May 11, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Wed, Apr. 29, 9:17 AM
Tue, Apr. 28, 9:02 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports identical-store sales for the Save-A-Lot network rose 3.6% in Q1.
- The Retail Food segment saw identical-stores sales increase 1.1%.
- Gross profit rate +20 bps to 15.1%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.0%.
- Operating earnings rate +10 bps to 3.2%.
- Previously: SUPERVALU beats by $0.03, misses on revenue
- SVU -1.3% premarket.
Tue, Apr. 28, 8:02 AM
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
SVU vs. ETF Alternatives
SUPERVALU Inc are wholesale distributors to independent retail customers across the United States through its Independent Business segment and the Retail Food segment. Substantially all of the Company's operations are domestic.
Other News & PR