Fri, Jan. 9, 8:35 AM
- The House passed a bill to redefine a full-time worker under the Affordable Care Act to 40 hours a week from 30 hours.
- The legislation could impact millions of workers as companies adjust hours and employee policies around the issue.
- The measure was passed by a vote total of 252-172.
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has indicated the bill will see a vote in his chamber.
- The White House has threatened to veto the bill on its view it will reduce the number of workers covered by healthcare.
- Most industry groups within the restaurant and food industry have issued support for the legislation.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, BDL, NATH, LUB, QSR, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, CASY, IMKTA, SFS, KR, WMK, SVU, WFM, SWY, VLGEA, TFM,NGVC, BIG, ZU, TUES, WMT, PSMT, COST, TGT, DLTR, BURL, FDO, DG, FRED, WBA, RAD, CVS, HABT, NDLS, PBPB.
Wed, Jan. 7, 8:37 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports identical stores sales were up 6.9% in FQ3 for the Save-A-Lot network and 2.3% for the company's Retail Food segment.
- Gross profit rate -10 bps to 14.1%.
- SG&A expense rate +130 bps to 12.8%.
- The mix of revenue from the Independent Business segment is now up to 46.6% following the sale last year of the Albertson's, Acme, Jewel-Osco, Shaws, and Star Market chains.
- SVU +3.9% premarket.
Wed, Jan. 7, 8:03 AM
Tue, Jan. 6, 5:30 PM
Dec. 6, 2014, 10:24 AM
- Grocery delivery upstart Instacart is raising $100M from new and old investors at a pricing which gives the company a $2B valuation and plenty of cash to fund expansion.
- Sequoia Capital and Andreessen Horowitz have added to their original investments, reports Re/code.
- Instacart, which was started by a former Amazon supply chain engineer, delivers groceries from participating stores to consumers in larger markets within an hour.
- Major retail chains such as Whole Foods Markets (NASDAQ:WFM), Kroger (NYSE:KR), and Costco (NASDAQ:COST) are participating in Instacart's expansion - perhaps playing a little defense against Amazon Fresh (NASDAQ:AMZN) which also has growth plans.
- What to watch: Instacart's simple business model of a personal shopper army and vibrant website contrasts sharply with the distribution/branding might of Amazon Fresh (AMZN), but could end up in the same razor-thin margin predicament ($5.99 for one-hour delivery?). Meanwhile, old-school Kroger (KR) has recorded 44 straight quarters of positive comps and just raised its full-year profit guidance off of solid store execution.
- Related grocery stocks: SVU, SWY, RNDY, SFM, OTCQB:PUSH, TFM, WMT.
Nov. 10, 2014, 1:06 PM
- Moody's upgrades the corporate family rating on Supervalu (SVU +0.5%) to B1 from B2 on a stable outlook for the company.
- "The initiatives undertaken by new management in the last year continue to be successful in improving the company's operating performance resulting in a stronger credit profile", says Moody's.
- The ratings action covers $2.5B worth of Supervalu's debt.
Oct. 30, 2014, 9:44 AM
Oct. 28, 2014, 11:32 AM
- Redbook notes the timing of Halloween on a Friday is giving a boost to merchandise sales related to the holiday as more consumers prep for parties and celebrations.
- Both Redbook and ICSC's weekly read on retail store sales showed year-over-year improvement with Halloween sales a factor.
- Stores have also been extending their hours to draw in more shoppers.
- Looking for a Halloween boost: DLTR, DG, FDO, KR, SVU, SWY, WMT, TGT, HSY, KRFT, CVS, RAD, WAG, MDLZ.
Oct. 16, 2014, 9:28 AM
Oct. 16, 2014, 8:03 AM
Oct. 15, 2014, 5:30 PM
Oct. 6, 2014, 7:57 AM| 25 Comments
Sep. 29, 2014, 5:54 PM
- 6 weeks after disclosing a possible June/July data breach, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) says a separate intrusion occurred in late August or early September.
- Specifically, the intruder "installed different malware into the portion of its computer network that processes payment card transactions at some of its Shop n Save, Shoppers Food & Pharmacy and Cub Foods owned and franchised stores, including some of its associated stand-alone liquor stores."
- The company insists its "enhanced protective technology significantly limited this recently discovered malware's ability to capture data from payment cards where the malware was installed." It doesn't think the malware "succeed in capturing data from any payment cards used at any stores other than at some checkout lanes at four Cub Foods franchised stores."
Sep. 23, 2014, 8:10 AM
- Halloween spending by consumers in the U.S. is expected to rise to $11.3B this year, according to an estimate from ICSC.
- Discount stores (DG, DLTR, FDO) and grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY, WMT, TGT) are expected to keep a lion's share of the costume spend with shoppers indicating price and the ability to touch costumes as the biggest factors in deciding where to shop.
- Halloween is one of the few calendar events where online has stayed more of a bit player with only an estimated 7% share of purchases.
Aug. 15, 2014, 5:44 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) is investigating a potential data breach that might have affected more than 1,000 of its stores.
- The attack seems to have occurred in late June or early July, and may have resulted in the theft of account numbers and other numerical information from payment cards used at the company's point-of-sale network.
- Supervalu hasn't informed customers about the incident. Merchants often don't warn customers about attacks until they know the scope of the breach.
Aug. 14, 2014, 1:01 PM
- The dollar store group (DLTR, FDO, DG, BIG) and select grocery store chains (KR, SWY, SVU) are slight out-performers on the day after Wal-Mart's (WMT +0.1%) Q2 report indicates it lost some market share in the U.S.
- Edward D. Jones analyst Brian Yarborough attributes the limp sales growth for Wal-Mart in the U.S. to the retailer's inability to nab the quick "milk and bread" runs by consumers due to the massive size of its stores.
- That line of thought is consistent with the stronger growth numbers put up lately by convenience store operators such as Circle K (OTCPK:ANCUF), 7-11, Pantry (NASDAQ:PTRY), BP Connect (NYSE:BP), On the Run (NYSE:XOM), Speedway America (NYSE:MPC), Kwik Shop (NYSE:KR), and Qwiktrip.
SVU vs. ETF Alternatives
SUPERVALU Inc are wholesale distributors to independent retail customers across the United States through its Independent Business segment and the Retail Food segment. Substantially all of the Company's operations are domestic.
Other News & PR