Mon, May 11, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Wed, Apr. 29, 9:17 AM
Tue, Apr. 28, 9:02 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports identical-store sales for the Save-A-Lot network rose 3.6% in Q1.
- The Retail Food segment saw identical-stores sales increase 1.1%.
- Gross profit rate +20 bps to 15.1%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.0%.
- Operating earnings rate +10 bps to 3.2%.
- Previously: SUPERVALU beats by $0.03, misses on revenue
- SVU -1.3% premarket.
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
Thu, Jan. 15, 5:39 PM
Wed, Jan. 7, 8:37 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports identical stores sales were up 6.9% in FQ3 for the Save-A-Lot network and 2.3% for the company's Retail Food segment.
- Gross profit rate -10 bps to 14.1%.
- SG&A expense rate +130 bps to 12.8%.
- The mix of revenue from the Independent Business segment is now up to 46.6% following the sale last year of the Albertson's, Acme, Jewel-Osco, Shaws, and Star Market chains.
- SVU +3.9% premarket.
Wed, Jan. 7, 8:03 AM
Sep. 29, 2014, 5:54 PM
- 6 weeks after disclosing a possible June/July data breach, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) says a separate intrusion occurred in late August or early September.
- Specifically, the intruder "installed different malware into the portion of its computer network that processes payment card transactions at some of its Shop n Save, Shoppers Food & Pharmacy and Cub Foods owned and franchised stores, including some of its associated stand-alone liquor stores."
- The company insists its "enhanced protective technology significantly limited this recently discovered malware's ability to capture data from payment cards where the malware was installed." It doesn't think the malware "succeed in capturing data from any payment cards used at any stores other than at some checkout lanes at four Cub Foods franchised stores."
Jul. 24, 2014, 3:21 PM
- Supervalu's (SVU +1.9%) Q2 earnings were cut nearly in half and revenues slipped Y/Y, but shares are higher after posting strong sales gains at a discount chain it considers vital to its turnaround effort.
- In its earnings conference call, CEO Sam Duncan seized on results at the Save-A-Lot chain - whose same-store sales rose 7.2% in Q2 compared with 0.6% at SVU's other grocery stores - as a sign SVU is making strides in its rebound effort after years of weak sales trends.
- But SVU's moves to lower prices and make other improvements to the Save-A-Lot stores is cutting into profits; the company's Q2 gross margin fell to 14.4% from 15.2%; "we're not going to let the bottom fall out on this," Duncan said on the call.
Jul. 24, 2014, 9:18 AM
Apr. 23, 2014, 12:17 PM| Comment!
Jan. 6, 2014, 10:14 AM
- Shares of Whole Foods Market (WFM -4%) are down sharply in early trading as grocery stocks start the week off poorly.
- The move appears related in part to worries of lower store traffic and higher logistical costs for grocery store operators due to the recent winter storms in the U.S.
- Decliners: RNDY -2.4%, VLGEA -1.4%, SFM -1.1%, SWY -0.7%, FWM -2.5%, KR -0.4%, SVU -4.2%.
Nov. 22, 2013, 6:15 PM
- Supervalu (SVU +7.2%) discloses its CEO, CFO, and several other execs will receive major severance benefits in the event they lose their jobs following a change of control. The benefits include sizable lump sump cash payments, as well as unpaid bonus money. (8-K)
- The disclosure has raised investor hopes the debt-laden supermarket chain will find a suitor.
Nov. 21, 2013, 11:18 AM
- Grocery store and restaurants stocks are rallying in force as the two sectors see some rare momentum.
- A couple of factors could be coming into play with jobless claims lower and some key wholesale food costs moderating. A slightly more positive read on food/restaurant spending from key companies is also in the mix.
- Advancers: Safeway (SWY) +2.9%, SuperValu (SVU) +1.5%, Whole Foods Market (WFM) +1.3%, Roundy's (RNDY) +2.5%, Jack In the Box (JACK) +5.6%, BJ's Restaurants (BJRI) +3.1%, Cracker Barrel (CBRL) +2.8%, Ruth's Hospitality (RUTH) +2.5%.
Oct. 23, 2013, 9:57 AM| Comment!
Jul. 24, 2013, 11:17 AM
SVU vs. ETF Alternatives
SUPERVALU Inc are wholesale distributors to independent retail customers across the United States through its Independent Business segment and the Retail Food segment. Substantially all of the Company's operations are domestic.
Other News & PR