Mon, Jul. 27, 4:13 PM
Sun, Jul. 26, 5:35 PM
Wed, Jun. 24, 11:16 AM
- Select railroad and trucking stocks trade weak after Q1 GDP figures are revised in-line with expectations. A read yesterday on durable goods was weak.
- Stocks from the transportation sector drifting lower include Knight Transportation (KNX -4.5%), Swift Transportation (SWFT -5.5%), ArcBest (ARCB -3.9%), YRC Worldwide (YRCW -2.2%), Greenbrier (GBX -1.6%), Heartland Express (HTLD -2.6%), Kansas City Southern (KSU -2.2%), Celadon Group (CGI -2%), JB Hunt Transport (JBHT -2.1%), Trinity Industries (TRN -1.6%).
- FedEx (FDX -0.9%) and UPS (UPS -0.8%) are also trailing broad market averages.
Fri, Jun. 19, 11:26 AM
- The EPA and NHTSA have published a new set of rules covering fuel efficiency on medium and heavy duty vehicles built for the model year 2018 and beyond.
- The agencies forecast the program will cut greenhouse gas emissions by 1B metric tons and lower fuel costs by $170B for the lifetime of the vehicles manufactured under the program.
- Though the release of tighter emission rules has been widely anticipated, perhaps a bigger surprise this week was the strong statement made by Pope Francis on the global need to address climate control.
- The number of companies that could ultimately be impacted by the proposed changes if they are enacted spread across various sectors.
- Joint EPA/NHTSA proposal (.pdf)
- Encyclical letter from Pope Francis (.pdf)
- Related stocks: KNX, PTSI, ODFL, JBHT, R, SWFT, CNW, GM, F, OTCPK:DDAIF, NAV, OTCPK:VOLVY, CMI, PCAR, FDX, UPS, HTZ, TM,
Fri, Jun. 19, 10:09 AM
- The EPA is expected to announce a new set of rules today covering medium and heavy trucks built in the model year 2019.
- The administration aims to improve fuel efficiency with larger-sized trucks accounting for 20% of all emissions in the transportation sector off a mark of 4% of vehicles on the road.
- The new rules could also cover light-duty pickup trucks, buses, and delivery vehicles.
- Related stocks: KNX, PTSI, ODFL, JBHT, R, SWFT, CNW, GM, F, OTCPK:DDAIF, NAV, OTCPK:VOLVY, CMI, PCAR.
Mon, Apr. 27, 4:05 PM
Mon, Apr. 27, 3:02 PM
- Trucking stocks are notably weak today with several analyst downgrades out in the sector.
- Knight Transportation (KNX -4%) received one of the harsher actions with Wolfe Research downgrading the stock to an Underperform rating.
- Other analysts cite apprehension in the sector into key earnings reports.
- Trucking decliners: Celadon Group (CGI -3.2%), Swift Transportation (SWFT -2.8%), Heartland Express (HTLD -2.9%), Werner Enterprises (WERN -6.9%), USA Truck (USAK -6.4%), P.A.M. Transportation (PTSI -4.9%), Roadrunner Transportation Systems (RRTS -2%).
Sun, Apr. 26, 5:35 PM
Wed, Feb. 18, 7:41 AM
- UBS initiates coverage on Knight Transportation (NYSE:KNX) with a Buy rating.
- The investment firm starts Heartland Express (NASDAQ:HTLD) off with a Sell rating.
- Swift Transportation (NYSE:SWFT) and Echo Global Logistics (NASDAQ:ECHO) are given Buy ratings by UBS
- Werner Enterprises (NASDAQ:WERN) and C.H. Robinson Worldwide (NASDAQ:CHRW) are assigned Neutral ratings.
Wed, Jan. 28, 4:12 PM
Tue, Jan. 27, 5:35 PM| Tue, Jan. 27, 5:35 PM | 4 Comments
Oct. 23, 2014, 7:27 PM
- Swift Transportation's (NYSE:SWFT) Q3 operating ratio improved 90 bps to 90.9% and adjusted operating ratio improved 110 bps to 88.2%.
- Consolidated Average Operational Truck Count increased more than 500 trucks Y/Y.
- Truckload Adjusted Operating Ratio improved 290 bps Y/Y.
- Guidance: FY'14 EPS $1.29 - 1.33 vs. $1.27 consensus; FY'15 EPS $1.62 - 1.72 vs. $1.65 consensus.
- Shares +2% AH.
- Previously: Swift Transportation beats by $0.04, misses on revenue
Oct. 23, 2014, 4:24 PM
Sep. 25, 2014, 3:57 PM
- Swift Transportation (SWFT +9.6%) is one of the session's few strong gainers after confirming Q3 earnings guidance of $0.33-$0.37 per share on "cautiously optimistic" results from driver wage increases.
- SWFT raised wages in early August to entice skilled drivers to join the company and end high driver turnover, and the company says driver turnover of its over-the-road fleets has since improved more than 16 percentage points Q/Q, and is now well below industry average.
- SWFT says it passed on some of the higher wage costs to its customers, and sees revenue per loaded mile excluding fuel surcharges rising 4%-5% Y/Y.
Sep. 25, 2014, 12:45 PM
Jul. 25, 2014, 2:17 PM
- Swift Transportation (SWFT -16.7%) plunges after reporting generally in-line Q2 results but projecting Q3 profit that trails analyst estimates.
- SWFT says it is being held back by a challenging driver market and turnover has been higher than anticipated.
- "You see some carriers passing on rate increases to drivers, but for whatever reason Swift has had a harder time attracting and retaining drivers," a Bloomberg analyst says.
SWFT vs. ETF Alternatives
Swift Transportation Co is a multi-faceted transportation services company and a truckload carrier in North America. The Company's four reportable operating segments consist of Truckload, Dedicated, Central Refrigerated and Intermodal.
Other News & PR