Wed, Jun. 24, 11:16 AM
- Select railroad and trucking stocks trade weak after Q1 GDP figures are revised in-line with expectations. A read yesterday on durable goods was weak.
- Stocks from the transportation sector drifting lower include Knight Transportation (KNX -4.5%), Swift Transportation (SWFT -5.5%), ArcBest (ARCB -3.9%), YRC Worldwide (YRCW -2.2%), Greenbrier (GBX -1.6%), Heartland Express (HTLD -2.6%), Kansas City Southern (KSU -2.2%), Celadon Group (CGI -2%), JB Hunt Transport (JBHT -2.1%), Trinity Industries (TRN -1.6%).
- FedEx (FDX -0.9%) and UPS (UPS -0.8%) are also trailing broad market averages.
Mon, Apr. 27, 3:02 PM
- Trucking stocks are notably weak today with several analyst downgrades out in the sector.
- Knight Transportation (KNX -4%) received one of the harsher actions with Wolfe Research downgrading the stock to an Underperform rating.
- Other analysts cite apprehension in the sector into key earnings reports.
- Trucking decliners: Celadon Group (CGI -3.2%), Swift Transportation (SWFT -2.8%), Heartland Express (HTLD -2.9%), Werner Enterprises (WERN -6.9%), USA Truck (USAK -6.4%), P.A.M. Transportation (PTSI -4.9%), Roadrunner Transportation Systems (RRTS -2%).
Oct. 23, 2014, 7:27 PM
- Swift Transportation's (NYSE:SWFT) Q3 operating ratio improved 90 bps to 90.9% and adjusted operating ratio improved 110 bps to 88.2%.
- Consolidated Average Operational Truck Count increased more than 500 trucks Y/Y.
- Truckload Adjusted Operating Ratio improved 290 bps Y/Y.
- Guidance: FY'14 EPS $1.29 - 1.33 vs. $1.27 consensus; FY'15 EPS $1.62 - 1.72 vs. $1.65 consensus.
- Shares +2% AH.
- Previously: Swift Transportation beats by $0.04, misses on revenue
Oct. 23, 2014, 4:24 PM
Sep. 25, 2014, 3:57 PM
- Swift Transportation (SWFT +9.6%) is one of the session's few strong gainers after confirming Q3 earnings guidance of $0.33-$0.37 per share on "cautiously optimistic" results from driver wage increases.
- SWFT raised wages in early August to entice skilled drivers to join the company and end high driver turnover, and the company says driver turnover of its over-the-road fleets has since improved more than 16 percentage points Q/Q, and is now well below industry average.
- SWFT says it passed on some of the higher wage costs to its customers, and sees revenue per loaded mile excluding fuel surcharges rising 4%-5% Y/Y.
Sep. 25, 2014, 12:45 PM
Jul. 25, 2014, 2:17 PM
- Swift Transportation (SWFT -16.7%) plunges after reporting generally in-line Q2 results but projecting Q3 profit that trails analyst estimates.
- SWFT says it is being held back by a challenging driver market and turnover has been higher than anticipated.
- "You see some carriers passing on rate increases to drivers, but for whatever reason Swift has had a harder time attracting and retaining drivers," a Bloomberg analyst says.
Jul. 25, 2014, 12:45 PM
Apr. 8, 2014, 7:25 AM
Dec. 16, 2013, 2:58 PM
- Deutsche Bank is out with some commentary and price target adjustments for a number of transport names. "We expect slow growth to continue well into 2014," analyst Justin Yagerman notes, but says "this is not a bad environment for earnings growth as cost inflation is generally modest and volumes are expanding, albeit at a slower-than-desired pace."
- Rundown: XPO reiterated at Buy, PT hiked to $32; ODFL upgraded to Buy from Hold, PT lifted to $59 from $49; UPS reiterated at Buy, PT raised to $123 from $100; UNP reiterated at Buy, PT hiked to $198 from $175; RRTS reiterated at Buy, PT lifted to $35 from $32; SWFT reiterated at Buy, PT raised to $29 from $22; JBHT reiterated at Buy, PT upped to $89 from $83; NSC reiterated at Hold, PT to $91 from $83; LSTR reiterated at Hold, PT hiked to $58 from $56; KNX reiterated at Hold, PT lifted to $19 from $15; ABFS reiterated at Hold, PT raised to $35 from $29; CSX reiterated at Hold, PT hiked to $28 from $25.
Apr. 22, 2013, 5:54 PM
Apr. 22, 2013, 4:24 PM
Apr. 15, 2013, 12:53 PMA tough day for the trucking sector with Swift Transportation (SWFT -8.1%) leading the downward fall. The gloom is tied to a reading of the Internet Truckstop's Market Demand Index which showed a 21% sequential fall in demand for trucks. Decliners: J.B Hunt Transportation (JBHT) -1.8%, Celadon Group(CGI) -4.2%, Marten Transport (MRTN) -3.8%, Heartland Express (HTLD) -1.1%, Knight Transportation (KNX) -1.4%. | 1 Comment
Apr. 12, 2013, 3:13 PM
Jan. 24, 2013, 12:45 PM
Jan. 24, 2013, 10:52 AMSwift Transportation (SWFT +22.4%) jets higher after the company saw its Q4 profits soar past the estimate of analysts. A note in its report that it will increase capital expenditure spending by 43% this year bodes well for the trucking sector (JBHT, KNX, UACL, WERN, MRTN, CGI, HTLD), says Stephanie Link. | Comment!
SWFT vs. ETF Alternatives
Swift Transportation Co is a multi-faceted transportation services company and a truckload carrier in North America. The Company's four reportable operating segments consist of Truckload, Dedicated, Central Refrigerated and Intermodal.
Other News & PR