There is research on this stock available only to PRO subscribers.
Independent European Tobacco Companies: Acquisition Targets?
- Reynolds' bid for Lorillard has fueled speculation on further tobacco consolidation.
- European stock markets are home to a few smaller tobacco companies.
- Are those companies likely acquisition targets? If so, what price will they fetch?
There are no Transcripts on SWMAY.
Apr. 29, 2014, 12:55 PM
- Bankers and lawyers are busy working on potential mergers in the tobacco industry, reports CNBC (video).
- The biggest buzz is over the potential that Reynolds American (RAI +1.4%) will buy Lorillard (LO +3%) for as much as $80 per share.
- Though Wells Fargo notes Reynolds would have to divest some significant menthol brands to get a Lorillard deal past regulators, the firm sees a deal as likely.
- Other tobaccco players: MO, PM, BTI, ITYBY, ITYBF, PHJMF, JAPAF, SFIO, VGR, SWNG, SWMAF, SWMAY, XXII, BTAFF, UVV
Mar. 6, 2014, 10:24 AM
- Analysts thinks there could be a wave of consolidation in the tobacco industry as the slow growth rates seen in the industry appear to be here to stay.
- The story of the week has been Lorillard (LO -1.7%) which is reportedly a target of Reynolds American (RAI -2.8%), but other linkups are expected.
- The rapid emergence of e-cigarettes will play a factor in the M&A activity. The stance of various regulators will be critical in determining where companies place their bets.
- Related stocks: MO, PM, BTI, ITYBY, ITYBF, PHJMF, JAPAF, SFIO, VGR, SWNG, SWMAF, SWMAY.
Dec. 18, 2013, 4:45 AM
- The compromise text includes the following key measures to be brought into national law by member states:
- No selling of flavored tobacco (including fruit, menthol, vanilla)
- Combined picture and text health warnings that cover 65% of the front and back of packages of smoking products
- Member states may decide to ban cross-border distance sales of tobacco products
- Tobacco stocks: MO, LO, PM, RAI, XXII, AOI, AHII, BTI, BTAFF, GGNPF, PHJMF, ITYBY, ITYBF, JAPAF, SFIO, SWNG, SWMAF, SWMAY, UVV, VGR
- Source: EU Council
Jul. 4, 2012, 4:57 AMMoody's has a positive outlook on European tobacco companies for the next 12-18 months, when the agency expects operating profits to grow 6%. Emerging-market growth and price inelasticity will continue to provide good cash flow and offset "declining sales volumes in mature markets and mounting regulatory pressures." (PR) | 2 Comments
SWMAY vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR