Mon, Mar. 23, 12:35 PM
- Origin Agritech (SEED +24.5%) soars in a move attributed to a WSJ article discussing China's desire to develop a local seed company, potentially through a renewed bid for SEED, which controls the rights to China's first genetically modified corn.
- SEED last year rejected a $60B takeover bid from China's state-backed Hunan Xindaxin but its top executives believe another attempt is coming, as China looks to find a way to can keep foreign giants such as Monsanto (NYSE:MON), DuPont (NYSE:DD) and Syngenta (NYSE:SYT) at bay while significantly increasing the country’s spending on R&D.
- China is the world’s second largest seed market but limits foreign producers to minority stakes in joint ventures, and its domestic seed makers are too small and scattered for the government to corral in pursuit of controlling the biotechnology that underpins the competitive power of global seed manufacturers.
Wed, Feb. 4, 7:30 AM
Thu, Jan. 15, 9:16 AM
Oct. 2, 2014, 2:59 PM
- Fertilizer producers are mostly lower after Agrium (AGU -1.9%) announced weak guidance for H2 of its FY 2014: POT -2%, MOS -0.9%, OTCPK:YARIY -2.8%, IPI -2.3%, RNF -1.2%, but CF +2.4%.
- Canaccord and Piper Jaffray downwardly revised their 12-month price targets for the stock, by a respective 1.9% to $102 while reiterating a Buy rating and by 4.2% to $92 while maintaining a Neutral rating; however, BMO and RBC each reiterated their Outperform ratings on the stock with respective target prices of $99 and $115.
- Jim Cramer thinks AGU's woes could reverberate throughout the ag sector, at least in the near-term, with selling possibly spread to the likes of Monsanto (MON -0.4%), Syngenta (SYT +0.1%), Deere (DE +0.1%) and Agco (AGCO +1%).
Jun. 27, 2014, 8:16 AM
- DuPont (DD) -3.1% premarket after cutting its Q2 and FY 2014 earnings outlook, pointing to slower than expected sales growth in its agriculture and performance chemicals units.
- DD said in a conference call that it expects Q2 operating earnings in its agriculture business to fall in the low teens in percentage terms, with corn pricing in North America expected to be slightly lower than its previous estimate and returns of unused corn seeds in Brazil to be higher than anticipated.
- Dow Chemical (DOW) -0.7% premarket; chemical peers FMC, SYT, MON, LYB, CE and HUN also will be on watch today.
Jun. 23, 2014, 12:44 PM
- Monsanto (MON +0.4%) recently explored a takeover of Swiss rival Syngenta (SYT +5.1%) in a potential $40B deal that would have allowed the U.S. firm to move its tax location to Switzerland, according to a Bloomberg report.
- The two companies held preliminary talks with advisers in recent months about a combination before SYT decided against negotiations, the report says; while talks are currently on hold, sources say the deal could be revived.
- MON jumped to a new all-time high at $123.99, and has since pulled back to ~$122.
Oct. 23, 2013, 8:25 PM
Apr. 18, 2013, 10:08 AMSyngenta (SYT +2.9%) moves up nicely after its Q1 sales/trading call. Highlights from the transcript : sales up 8% at constant exchange rates, prices rose on crop protection and seeds, double-digit growth in Latin America/Eastern European/SE Asia, word search turns up only one mention of CRUISER, the hot-button neonicotinoid pesticide (I, II). | Comment!
Jul. 26, 2012, 11:26 AMSyngenta (SYT +4.8%) reports H1 net income of $1.5B on revenues of $8.27B (+7% Y/Y), beating analyst estimates of $1.46B earnings on revenues of $8.19B, and sees a positive outlook for Latin America as soybean prices rise to a record. “Brazilian farmers have a great deal of incentive to have a very big crop, so we are looking forward to a big second half," CEO Mike Mack says. | Comment!
Jul. 3, 2012, 11:47 AMThe EPA grants registration approval for Syngenta's (SYT +2.6%) two refuge-in-a-bag corn seed products, making them available for the 2013 planting season. "The launch of a refuge-in-a-bag offer further enhances our leading corn insect control portfolio, which includes seed treatments and insecticides as well as traits," SYT says. | Comment!
Apr. 18, 2012, 9:03 AM
Jan. 12, 2012, 9:57 AMAgriculture stocks open lower following the USDA's supply/demand report, which is slightly negative for grain prices due to an expected increase in global wheat and corn inventory levels. Fertilizer stocks: POT -4%, CF -3.9%, MOS -3.7%, IPI -3%, AGU -1.7%, RNF -1.2%. Seed names: MON -0.3%, SYT +0.3%. Farm equipment:AGCO -3.2%, TITN -1.7%, DE -1.5%, CNH -1.3%. | Comment!
Nov. 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
SYT vs. ETF Alternatives
Syngenta AG is involved in the discovery, development, manufacturing and marketing of products designed to improve crop yields and food quality.The Company is also engaged in the lawn and garden business.
Other News & PR