Quote & Headlines
5d 1m 3m 1y 5y 10y
Tencent Holdings: Emerging Market Stock Of The DayEmerging Money • Nov 15, 2012
To learn more about Seeking Alpha PRO, click here.
TCEHY vs. ETF Alternatives
Tencent Holdings Limited provides Internet, mobile, and telecommunication value-added services in China. The Company has an instant messaging community in China. Tencent also provides online advertising services. More
Friday, Oct 114:33 PMActivision closes Vivendi deal, related share sale
Friday, Oct 114:33 PM| Comment!
- A day after Delaware's Supreme Court cleared the way for the deals to proceed, Activision (ATVI +0.2%) says it has closed its $5.83B, $13.60/share leveraged recap deal with Vivendi (VIVHY.PK), and that Vivendi's sale of $2.34B in shares (also at $13.60/share) to an investment group led by Activision's CEO and co-chairman has also been finished. (PR)
- Not surprisingly, Activision predicts the leveraged recap, which was financed via $4.75B in debt (average interest rate below 5%) and $1.2B in existing cash, will be immediately accretive to EPS.
- The two deals leave the investment group, which also features private investment firms and Chinese online gaming giant Tencent (TCEHY.PK), with a 24.7% stake in Activision. Vivendi retains a 12% stake.
Monday, Sep 1611:44 AMBaidu higher after Sogou merges with Tencent instead of Qihoo
Monday, Sep 1611:44 AM| 1 Comment
- Though Tencent's (TCEHY.PK, TCTZF.PK) acquisition of a 36.5% stake in Sohu's (SOHU +6.9%) Sogou search unit stands to make Sogou a greater threat to Baidu (BIDU +2%), given Tencent's plans to promote Sogou throughout its messaging/gaming empire, Baidu investors appear relieved Qihoo, which was in talks with Sohu, didn't end up reaching a deal.
- Research firm CNZZ recently estimated Qihoo now has over 15% of the Chinese search market, and the company itself recently pegged its share at 20%. Acquiring Sogou (estimated 8.8% share) would've given Qihoo additional scale and resources as it challenges Baidu's dominant position.
- Meanwhile, Tencent rose 2.5% in Hong Kong overnight, before the Sogou deal was announced. The company's market cap has topped $100B.
- Chinese Web giants Baidu, Tencent, and Alibaba are increasingly stepping on each others' toes. While Tencent and Alibaba have been relying on partnerships/minority investments to grow their reach, Baidu has been more interested in acquisitions and controlling stakes.
Friday, Jun 2111:51 PMNaspers (NPSNY.PK), the South African media giant, together with Tencent (TCEHY.PK), its partner in JV Ibibo, is acquiring Redbus.in, the online ticketing company that Techcrunch calls "a dominant and disruptive force" in how people travel in India. At a reported price of about $120M, it would be the biggest overseas strategic acquisition of an Indian internet asset. |Friday, Jun 2111:51 PM| Comment!
Monday, Aug 202012, 8:22 AMYouku (YOKU -0.1%) and Tudou (TUDO) shareholders approve Youku's all-stock acquisition of Tudou in a deal that combines China's two biggest video Web sites and creates a company with over 300M weekly users. The transaction will increase Youku's lead over rivals Baidu (BIDU) and Tencent, and should generate savings of up to $60M/year. |Monday, Aug 202012, 8:22 AM| Comment!
Friday, Jul 62012, 1:55 PMVivendi (VIVHY.PK) has reportedly hired an i-bank to gauge the market for 61%-owned Activision (ATVI -1.5%). It's added bankers are "sounding out" tech and media companies such as Tencent, Time Warner, and Microsoft, as well as P-E firms. Vivendi's efforts to sell Activision, first reported last week, are pivotal to its restructuring plans. But a buyer for the $13.3B company could be hard to come by, and many think a spin-off of Vivendi's stake is more likely. (earlier) |Friday, Jul 62012, 1:55 PM| Comment!
Wednesday, Mar 142012, 2:41 PMTencent (TCEHY.PK), owner of China's extremely popular QQ instant messaging platform, says it plans to make new acquisitions to lessen its dependence on the online gaming market, where it has a leading share. Many expect the pace of M&A activity among Chinese Internet names to pick up following Youku.com (YOKU) and Tudou's (TUDO) merger. |Wednesday, Mar 142012, 2:41 PM| Comment!
Friday, Sep 232011, 3:42 PMYouku.com (YOKU +22.1%) rebounds sharply from yesterday's decline, after Susquehanna's Ming Zhao upgrades the Chinese video site to Positive and sets a $29 PT. Zhao sees Youku as a likely acquisition target, and names China Mobile (CHL) and Tencent (TCEHY.PK) as potential buyers. (previously) |Friday, Sep 232011, 3:42 PM| Comment!
- View all 4 replies
1980XLS-2.0:: Same thing just shares traded on different venues essentially. If you like TCEHY, check out NPSNY, a back door in.
1980XLS-2.0:: volume is better with the ADR's stick with them.