Nov. 17, 2014, 5:30 PM
Nov. 14, 2014, 8:31 AM
- Canaccord Genuity downgrades TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX) and Ross Stores (NASDAQ:ROST) to Sell after previously having the discounters slotted at Hold.
- The investment firm thinks Street estimates are too high on Ross and that valuation on TJX has outrun earnings growth.
- Premarket: TKX -1.1%, ROST -0.1%.
Oct. 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
- A survey from Cowen Research indicates traffic trends in off-price retail will hold up with high-end consumers.
- The investment firm also notes cheaper gas prices could be supportive to the sector into 2015 with lower-end consumers freed up to spend a bit more.
- What to watch: Retailers which sell largely in the U.S. are tipped by Atlanta Capital Management to out-perform due to expectations for a strong U.S. dollar. Most off-price retailers fall into that category.
- Off-price retailer stocks: ROST, TJX, DSW, BIG, SMRT, OSTK, BURL.
Sep. 24, 2014, 8:13 AM
- Retail sales could increase by 4.5% to $986B this holiday season on an improved macroeconomic backdrop, forecasts Deloitte Touche.
- The mark would easily top last year's 2.8% rise.
- Online sales are tipped to rise by 14%.
- Promotional activity across broad retail has been dialed back a touch during the back-to-school season, but is still a risk to margins heading into the crucial shopping period.
- What to watch: This holiday season could be an operational pressure cooker for UPS (NYSE:UPS) and FedEx (NYSE:FDX) with demand expected to be high.
- Related stocks: AAP, AEO, ANF, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, FDO, FL, GPS, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, LULU, M, NDN, PIR, RL, TGT, TIF, TJX, UA, URBN, VFC, WMT, ZLC, PERY, SQBG, VNCE, KORS, GIII, KATE, GIL, VRA, ICON, PSMT, AMZN.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, FXD, FDIS, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK
Sep. 11, 2014, 2:00 PM
Aug. 21, 2014, 10:46 AM
- Yoga apparel sales grew 45% last year while participation in yoga the sport was only up 4.5%, according to industry tracking.
- The disparity indicates the impressive momentum built up by the athleisure category is beyond just a fad.
- Barclays forecasts that the broader retail athletic apparel market will grow by around 50% to exceed $100B by 2020.
- The trend is positive for early adopters Lululemon (NASDAQ:LULU), Under Armour (NYSE:UA), Gap (NYSE:GPS), Nike (NYSE:NKE) - while a host of other retailers (LB, DKS, TJX, TGT) and department store chains (KS, BONT, DDS, M, JCP) say they will try to carve out space in the athleisure market for themselves.
- On tap: Designers have their eyes on creating more men's lines and hybrid yoga-business outfits that will fly in the C-suite.
Aug. 19, 2014, 8:52 AM
- TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX) reports consolidate comparable-store sales rose 3% in Q2.
- Consolidated pretax profit margin +30 bps to 12.3%.
- SG&A expense ratio -50 bps to 16.2%.
- Inventory +1% to $3.4B.
- Comp growth by division: Marmaxx +2%; HomeGoods +5%; TJX Canada +3%; TJX Europe +6%.
- Guidance: Full-year EPS of $3.10-$3.18 expected vs. $3.14 consensus.
- TJX +4.3% premarket
Aug. 19, 2014, 8:35 AM
Aug. 18, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 23, 2014, 10:21 AM
Jun. 11, 2014, 2:12 PM
May. 21, 2014, 8:03 AM| Comment!
May. 20, 2014, 9:14 AM
- TJX Companies (TJX) reports comparable-store sales rose 1% in FQ1.
- Segment revenue growth: Marmaxx +2.4% to $4.23B; HomeGoods +9.9% to $757M; TJX Canada -5.7% to $608M; TJX Europe +24% to $890M.
- Inventory on a per-store basis ended the quarter flat compared to a year ago.
- The company's sales were lighter than analysts expected even after factoring in wide weather disruptions. Pricing, traffic, and mix all played a factor.
- TJX -4.2% premarket
May. 20, 2014, 8:42 AM
May. 19, 2014, 5:30 PM
May. 19, 2014, 1:14 PM
- TJX Companies (TJX -0.8%) and Ross Stores (ROST -0.5%) report earnings this week with all eyes on if the companies fared better than Wal-Mart of Target.
- Both retailers are expected to see at least 6% growth on their top line.
- Things get more interesting on the bottom line. Analysts are divided if the discounters turned too promotional during the quarter or managed to grab enough extra market share in key categories to keep margin erosion in check.
TJX vs. ETF Alternatives
TJX Companies is an off-price apparel and home fashions retailer in the United States and around the globe. Its stores offer family apparel, including footwear & accessories; home fashions, such as home basics, accent furniture, lamps, rugs, etc.
Other News & PR