Oct. 17, 2013, 5:42 PM
Oct. 11, 2013, 11:46 AM
- Refiners continue to rise a day after news of a leaked EPA proposal that would significantly scale back biofuel blending requirements next year.
- The EPA's rationale for a cut in the volume of ethanol that must be blended echoes an argument the oil industry has made for months: The U.S. fuel chain cannot absorb more ethanol.
- Let the lawsuits begin: "Any plan to roll back the targets... under the guise of addressing the blend wall would be patently unlawful," says the head of the Renewable Fuels Association.
- TSO +4.4%, VLO +3.4%, PSX +3.1%, MPC +2.2%, WNR +4.5%, HFC +2.2%, ALJ +6.8%, CVI +2.6%, NTI +2%, DK +7.8%, CLMT +1.8%.
Oct. 10, 2013, 2:18 PM
- Chevron (CVX -0.4%) is lower after warning "significantly lower" earnings from its refining division would send Q3 EPS down Q/Q.
- J.P. Morgan believes investors were anticipating relatively soft downstream results given the currently weak refining margin environment; perhaps that's why refiners are holding up very well today: VLO +4.4%, TSO +3.7%, PSX +2.3%, ALJ +6.7%, MPC +4.5%, WNR +3.7%, HFC +4.2%, CVI +4.6%.
- Citigroup worries about CVX's upstream business too; it was expecting a much larger increase in Q3 production which would put CVX on track to meet its full year guidance of 2,650M boe/day.
Oct. 7, 2013, 2:47 PM
- Refining stocks are lower as HollyFrontier (HFC -0.7%) is hit with a downgrade from Imperial Capital, which dropped its rating to In-Line from Outperform, reduces its price target to $41 from $49, and cuts its 2013 EPS estimate to $3.83 from $4.83 and 2014 EPS estimate to $3.50 from $4.00.
- The firm sees continued contraction in refining margins and crude price differentials, especially as the southern leg of the Keystone XL pipeline commences operation later this month.
- Other refiners: VLO -0.6%, TSO -0.8%, MPC -1.4%, PSX -1.5%, WNR -1.4%, ALJ -2.5%, CVI -2.5%.
Oct. 2, 2013, 3:26 PM
- It's a pretty good day for refiners, even as most energy stocks slip, as Phillips 66 (PSX +2.1%), Valero (VLO +1.2%), Tesoro (TSO +0.2%), Western Refining (WNR +1.2%), Marathon Petroleum (MPC +1.2%) and HollyFrontier (HFC +0.4%) all post gains.
- PSX rises the most among energy companies in the S&P 500 after announcing a 25% increase in its quarterly dividend, VLO and TSO are upgraded to Buy from Neutral at Citigroup (I, II), and WNR rolls out a 12.5M-share IPO of its logistics unit.
- Refiners generally have come in for criticism recently; Barclays, for one, believes most refiners will miss consensus earnings expectations by a wide margin, with VLO the exception.
- ETFs: IEO, IEZ, IYE, PXE, PXI, XES, XLE, XOP, VDE, RYE, FXN, OIH, PXJ, PSCE, ERX, DIG, ERY, DUG, DDG.
Sep. 9, 2013, 2:23 PM
- Refiners (PXE, RYE, IOIL) are broadly underperforming the rest of the energy sector today after a Simmons downgrade to Neutral from Overweight, expecting continuing challenges to EPS and refining margins in Q3 and into 2014 after a dismal Q2.
- Individual stocks lowered by the firm: Marathon Petroleum (MPC -1.5%), Tesoro (TSO -0.6%), Delek US (DK -1.3%), Alon USA (ALJ -0.5%), CVR Energy (CVI -1.8%), CVR Partners (CVRR -1.2%).
- HollyFrontier (HFC -1.8%) breaks down to fresh multi-week lows after a downgrade from Morgan Stanley.
- Also, Barclays says at its Energy-Power conference that it believes most refiners will miss current consensus expectations by a wide margin, with Valero (VLO +0.7%) the exception (Briefing.com).
Aug. 29, 2013, 12:44 PM
- With strikes on Syria no sure thing now, oil prices have fallen nearly 1% and taken oil stocks with them; in fact, energy (XLE -0.6%) and utilities (XLU -0.7%) are the only S&P sectors in the red.
- Among global producers: XOM -1.2%, CVX -0.7%, COP -0.6%, RDS.A -0.6%, BP -0.9%, TOT -1.6%.
- Notable decliners: CNX -2.4%, RRC -2.1%.
- Refiners are among energy stocks bucking the sector's downward trend: VLO +0.7%, TSO +0.9%, PSX +0.6%, MPC +0.8%, WNR +1.5%, HFC +2.3%, ALJ +2.9%.
Aug. 1, 2013, 5:00 PM
Jul. 23, 2013, 3:49 PMTesoro's (TSO +1.6%) proposal to build a 120K bbl/day crude-by-rail complex at the Port of Vancouver in Washington gains approval from the port’s board of commissioners. TSO's proposal comes amid increased scrutiny over crude-by-rail projects after a train hauling crude rolled from its parking spot earlier this month and crashed in Lac-Megantic, Quebec. | Comment!
Jul. 19, 2013, 2:07 PM"The spread is dead," Global Hunter proclaims, as WTI crude (USO) rises above Brent (BNO) for the first time in nearly three years two days after the EIA reported a third consecutive weekly supply decline. Some analysts say a WTI premium may be here to stay, supported by a relatively better outlook for the U.S. economy and falling stockpiles. Brent meanwhile, may struggle amid receding geopolitical risks and global macroeconomic weakness. Refiners: ALDW -0.34%, CVI -0.22%, TSO +1.64%, HFC + 3.29%, MPC +1.32%, NTI -0.41%, DK +3.36%. | 17 Comments
Jul. 16, 2013, 1:13 PMEnergy (XLE -1.1%) is the worst performing S&P sector today with refiners taking the biggest hit following Marathon Petroleum's (MPC -4.9%) profit warning, which came on the heels of Valero's (VLO -2%) warning a few days ago as higher oil prices alongside flattish product pricing isn't a great combination. Others: Phillips 66 (PSX -3.3%), Tesoro (TSO -2.6%). | Comment!
Jul. 12, 2013, 11:07 AMValero Energy (VLO +3.8%) has recouped early losses following a disappointing Q2 update and is making new highs for the day, as downside guidance apparently was priced in. Most refining peers also are higher: ALJ +3.7%, WNR +3.6%, HFC +3.5%, TSO +3.2%, CVI +2.9%, ALDW +2.6%, MPC +2.6%, PSX +2.5%, DK +1.8%, CVRR +1.7%, NTI +1.7%. | 9 Comments
Jul. 11, 2013, 6:18 PM
Jul. 10, 2013, 2:49 PMIt's another rough day for the big refinery stocks, whose margins are getting squeezed in the collapse in WTI-Brent spreads. Alon USA Energy (ALJ -9.1%) is hit especially hard after Barclays warns of a possible downside surprise in its upcoming earnings. Also: ALDW -5.9%, CVI -5.4%, CVRR -5%, TSO -4.5%, HFC -3.6%, PSX -3.3%, WNR -2.6%, MPC -2.6%, NTI -2.5%, DK -2.5%, VLO -2%. | 4 Comments
Jul. 8, 2013, 2:52 PMRefiners are oversold, Tudor Pickering says, after margins have been squeezed as WTI prices climb much faster than Brent. As North American supply growth continues, the spread will widen and support refiners' stocks, the firm says; with refiners off 20%-40% from their peaks, believers in North American crude supply growth should be buying here. CVI +6.3%, HFC +4.7%, PSX +2.9%, TSO +2.5%, VLO +1.9%. | 5 Comments
Jul. 2, 2013, 2:58 PMU.S. crude oil futures (USO, UCO) settle near $100/bbl as supply concerns due to geopolitical turmoil override fears about the global economy. Brent crude moves past $103, but the spread over WTI continues to narrow. Refiners continue to get slammed: CVRR -5.2%, ALJ -3.9%, PSX -3.4%, CVI -3.3%, WNR -3%, TSO -3%, CLMT -2.5%, VLO -2.4%, MPC -2.2%, DK -2.1%, NTI -2%, HFC -1.8%. | 12 Comments
TSO vs. ETF Alternatives
Tesoro Corp is an independent petroleum refiner and marketer in the United States. Its subsidiaries operate through three business segments, transport crude oil and manufacture, transport and sell transportation fuels.
Other News & PR