Sep. 26, 2014, 10:42 AM
- Universal Health Services (UHS +0.1%) acquires Cygnet Health Care Ltd. for $335M. Cygnet is one the largest independent providers of behavioral health facilities in the UK. generating $161M in revenues over the past 12 months. It operates 15 inpatient hospitals and two nursing homes totaling 743 beds.
Jul. 25, 2014, 3:27 PM
- Money is flowing into hospital management firms today on bullish views about the impact of The Affordable Care Act. LifePoint Hospitals (LPNT +7.2%) leads the charge after it increased its earnings guidance earlier today.
- (UHS +6.6%) (HCA +2.3%) (SEM +0.4%) (THC +8.8%) (SSY -4.2%) (CYH +3.8%) (CHDX) (SCAI +1%) (ADPT -1.1%)
Jul. 25, 2014, 9:04 AM| Comment!
Jul. 24, 2014, 5:13 PM| Comment!
Jul. 16, 2014, 2:58 PM| Comment!
May 21, 2014, 5:07 PM| Comment!
Apr. 25, 2014, 8:37 AM
Apr. 24, 2014, 5:05 PM| Comment!
Apr. 11, 2014, 4:01 AM
- The White House has confirmed that Health & Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius is resigning and will be replaced by Sylvia Burwell, the director of the Office of Management & Budget, assuming the latter is confirmed by the Senate.
- Sebelius' departure comes after she said in October that she should be held "accountable for the debacle" of the launch of Obamacare, although the program did reach the government's target of 7M sign-ups by the end of March. She said yesterday that at least 7.5M people have enrolled.
- One of Burwell's first challenges will be to work with health insurers as they set prices for Obamacare plans in 2015, which industry executives have warned could rise sharply.
- More on Obamacare
- Health insurers: AET, HNT, HUM, UNH, WLP, MO
- Hospital operators: HCA, CYH, THC, UHS, HMA, LPNT
- Pharmacies: WAG, CVS, BIOS, RAD, MHS, PMC, OCR
- ETFs: XLV, XHE, VHT, FXH, IHF, IHI, IYH, PTH, RYH, PSCH, RXL, RXD, XHS
Apr. 2, 2014, 10:25 AM
- The federal mandate expanding the number of diagnostic codes to 69,000 from today's 14,000 and procedure codes to 85,000 from 13,000 stresses healthcare providers. The mandate's intent, termed ICD-10, is to increase the accuracy of reporting and reduce fraud.
- Healthcare institutions face significant investments in training and IT system updates in order to comply with the new rules.
- The original conversion date was October 1, but the Senate passed a bill on Monday granting institutions a one-year reprieve.
- (UHS) (HCA) (SSY) (LPNT) (THC) (CYH) (CHDX) (SEM) (SCAI)
Feb. 27, 2014, 5:05 PM| Comment!
Feb. 27, 2014, 12:10 AM
- ACAD, AHT, AIRM, AL, ALIM, AMRN, APEI, ARNA, ATLS, AVD, BAGL, BCEI, BID, BIO, CEMP, CHUY, CLNE, CRM, DCO, DECK, ELGX, EPR, EVC, GPS, HALO, HTGC, KBR, KOG, LINE, MDVN, MELI, MENT, MNST, MTZ, NGD, NMBL, NOG, OLED, OVTI, PKT, PODD, REGI, ROST, SD, SFM, SLXP, SPLK, SPNC, SQNM, SWN, TESO, TUMI, UHS, WES, WG, WTR, XTEX, YOKU
Feb. 26, 2014, 5:35 PM
- AHT, AIRM, AL, ALIM, AMRN, APEI, ARNA, ATLS, AVD, BAGL, BCEI, BID, BIO, CEMP, CHUY, CLNE, CRM, DCO, DECK, ELGX, EPR, EVC, GPS, HALO, HTGC, KBR, KOG, LINE, MDVN, MELI, MENT, MNST, MTZ, NGD, NMBL, NOG, OLED, OVTI, PKT, PODD, REGI, ROST, SD, SFM, SLXP, SPLK, SPNC, SQNM, SWN, TESO, TUMI, UHS, WES, WG, WTR, XTEX, YOKU
Feb. 24, 2014, 12:35 PM
- Humana (HUM +9.4%) surges to new 52-week highs after saying proposed rate cuts to Medicare Advantage plans weren't as bad as expected.
- Health insurers who run Medicare Advantage face a 3.55% base payment cut next year, the U.S. government said late Friday; HUM now estimates the final reduction will be 3.5%-4% after projecting a 6%-7% reduction during its Q4 conference call earlier this month.
- “Although we still believe rate pressure of this magnitude will present a significant challenge to the company/industry, it is certainly much better” than previous estimates, a Susquehanna analyst says.
- Among the five largest publicly traded health insurance carriers, Medicare accounted for ~30% of earnings last year, Goldman Sachs says, with HUM and UnitedHealth (UNH +2.7%) the biggest players in the Advantage program.
- Other insurers: WLP +3.7%, HNT +3.5%, WCG +1.5%.
- Hospital stocks also are gaining: THC +3.1%, UHS +1.5%.
Feb. 10, 2014, 5:13 AM
- Around 4.8M people aged 18-64 get no government help to buy medical insurance - because they earn too little to qualify for federal subsidies. However, they earn too much to receive benefits under state programs.
- The gap is the result of 24 states deciding not to expand Medicaid coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
- However, some states are revisiting their policies in order to cover the hole, which hospitals such as UAB Health System see as a threat to their revenues.
- More on Obamacare
- Hospital operators: HCA, CYH, THC, UHS, HMA, LPNT.
- ETFs: XLV, XHE, VHT, FXH, IHF, IHI, IYH, PTH, RYH, PSCH, RXL, RXD, XHS.
Jan. 15, 2014, 5:31 PM| Comment!
UHS vs. ETF Alternatives
Universal Health Services Inc, through its subsidiaries is engaged in the business of owning and operating acute care hospitals, behavioral health centers, surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and radiation oncology centers.
Other News & PR