Dec. 2, 2014, 10:22 AM
- Based on data collected from the analysis of medical records, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) report that U.S. hospitals saved 50,000 lives in 2013 by making 17% fewer medical mistakes. The improvement includes a 9% decline in hospital-acquired conditions such as infections, bedsores and pneumonia.
- Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Sylvia Burwell is scheduled to announce the findings today at the CMS Healthcare Quality Conference in Baltimore.
- In 1999, the Institute of Medicine estimated that almost 100K people die each year from medical mistakes and poor quality of care. In 2010, the HHS inspector general estimated that poor care contributed to the deaths of 180K Medicare patients.
- One motivator for the improvement is a change in the way Medicare pays hospitals. Under updated rules, CMS reduces the reimbursement rate for hospitals that readmit too many patients within 30 days of discharge, an indicator of substandard care the first time.
- ETFs: IRY, IXJ,
- Hospital tickers: (HUM)(HCA +0.2%)(UHS -0.3%)(SEM +0.8%)(LPNT +0.4%)(CYH +0.3%)(SSY -0.2%)
Nov. 19, 2014, 4:52 PM
Oct. 27, 2014, 6:48 PM
Oct. 27, 2014, 5:05 PM
Oct. 26, 2014, 5:35 PM
Oct. 19, 2014, 6:46 PM
Sep. 26, 2014, 10:42 AM
- Universal Health Services (UHS +0.1%) acquires Cygnet Health Care Ltd. for $335M. Cygnet is one the largest independent providers of behavioral health facilities in the UK. generating $161M in revenues over the past 12 months. It operates 15 inpatient hospitals and two nursing homes totaling 743 beds.
Jul. 25, 2014, 3:27 PM
- Money is flowing into hospital management firms today on bullish views about the impact of The Affordable Care Act. LifePoint Hospitals (LPNT +7.2%) leads the charge after it increased its earnings guidance earlier today.
- (UHS +6.6%) (HCA +2.3%) (SEM +0.4%) (THC +8.8%) (SSY -4.2%) (CYH +3.8%) (CHDX) (SCAI +1%) (ADPT -1.1%)
Jul. 25, 2014, 9:04 AM
Jul. 24, 2014, 5:13 PM
Jul. 16, 2014, 2:58 PM| Jul. 16, 2014, 2:58 PM | Comment!
May 21, 2014, 5:07 PM
Apr. 25, 2014, 8:37 AM
Apr. 24, 2014, 5:05 PM
Apr. 11, 2014, 4:01 AM
- The White House has confirmed that Health & Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius is resigning and will be replaced by Sylvia Burwell, the director of the Office of Management & Budget, assuming the latter is confirmed by the Senate.
- Sebelius' departure comes after she said in October that she should be held "accountable for the debacle" of the launch of Obamacare, although the program did reach the government's target of 7M sign-ups by the end of March. She said yesterday that at least 7.5M people have enrolled.
- One of Burwell's first challenges will be to work with health insurers as they set prices for Obamacare plans in 2015, which industry executives have warned could rise sharply.
- More on Obamacare
- Health insurers: AET, HNT, HUM, UNH, WLP, MO
- Hospital operators: HCA, CYH, THC, UHS, HMA, LPNT
- Pharmacies: WAG, CVS, BIOS, RAD, MHS, PMC, OCR
- ETFs: XLV, XHE, VHT, FXH, IHF, IHI, IYH, PTH, RYH, PSCH, RXL, RXD, XHS
Apr. 2, 2014, 10:25 AM
- The federal mandate expanding the number of diagnostic codes to 69,000 from today's 14,000 and procedure codes to 85,000 from 13,000 stresses healthcare providers. The mandate's intent, termed ICD-10, is to increase the accuracy of reporting and reduce fraud.
- Healthcare institutions face significant investments in training and IT system updates in order to comply with the new rules.
- The original conversion date was October 1, but the Senate passed a bill on Monday granting institutions a one-year reprieve.
- (UHS) (HCA) (SSY) (LPNT) (THC) (CYH) (CHDX) (SEM) (SCAI)
UHS vs. ETF Alternatives
Universal Health Services Inc, through its subsidiaries is engaged in the business of owning and operating acute care hospitals, behavioral health centers, surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and radiation oncology centers.
Other News & PR