Fri, Jul. 25, 3:27 PM
- Money is flowing into hospital management firms today on bullish views about the impact of The Affordable Care Act. LifePoint Hospitals (LPNT +7.2%) leads the charge after it increased its earnings guidance earlier today.
- (UHS +6.6%) (HCA +2.3%) (SEM +0.4%) (THC +8.8%) (SSY -4.2%) (CYH +3.8%) (CHDX) (SCAI +1%) (ADPT -1.1%)
Wed, Jul. 16, 2:58 PM| Comment!
Mon, Feb. 24, 12:35 PM
- Humana (HUM +9.4%) surges to new 52-week highs after saying proposed rate cuts to Medicare Advantage plans weren't as bad as expected.
- Health insurers who run Medicare Advantage face a 3.55% base payment cut next year, the U.S. government said late Friday; HUM now estimates the final reduction will be 3.5%-4% after projecting a 6%-7% reduction during its Q4 conference call earlier this month.
- “Although we still believe rate pressure of this magnitude will present a significant challenge to the company/industry, it is certainly much better” than previous estimates, a Susquehanna analyst says.
- Among the five largest publicly traded health insurance carriers, Medicare accounted for ~30% of earnings last year, Goldman Sachs says, with HUM and UnitedHealth (UNH +2.7%) the biggest players in the Advantage program.
- Other insurers: WLP +3.7%, HNT +3.5%, WCG +1.5%.
- Hospital stocks also are gaining: THC +3.1%, UHS +1.5%.
Apr. 26, 2013, 11:32 AMUniversal Health Services (UHS +2.9%) moves up today after its Q1 beat on the bottom line, and despite missing on revenue. Net earnings fell 6.8% Y/Y as expenses slightly outpaced revenue growth and special gains boosted last years results. Operating expenses were up 4.2%, while revenue from acute-care hospitals edged up just 0.7% and adjusted admissions decreased 1.5%. On the upside, revenue per adjusted admission increased 2.2%, and behavioral health hospitals' same-facility revenue improved 2.4%. | Comment!
Apr. 10, 2013, 9:49 AM
Jan. 7, 2013, 10:33 AMShares of Universal Health (UHS +1%) tick higher on an upgrade to Positive at Susquehanna over the weekend. The firm cites a number of catalysts over the near term, including growth in its behavioral unit and stabilizing results in acute care. The firm also raises its price target to $66 from $43. | Comment!
Dec. 18, 2012, 2:06 PMJPMorgan initiates coverage of a few hospitals with an "overall constructive outlook." The firm says that despite volatility amid the fiscal-cliff debate and the potential for delays in coverage expansion under the Affordable Care Act, multiyear benefits from that coverage expansion outweigh the uncertainty. The firm also sees "meaningful economic improvement" for the sector coming in 2014-2016. It calls LifePoint (LPNT +4.4%), Universal Health (UHS +3.4%) and HCA (HCA +1.7%) its favorite picks, while aso starting Tenet (THC +4%) and Community Health (CYH +3.5%) at Overweight. | Comment!
Jun. 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
Jun. 5, 2012, 1:42 PM
Apr. 13, 2012, 10:24 AMUniversal Health Services (UHS -2%) expects to receive ~$35M to correct underpayment from the Medicare inpatient prospective payment system in an industry-wide settlement with the U.S. government. Tenet Healthcare had already said it should receive $84M as part of the settlement and raised its full-year guidance in response. | Comment!
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
Jan. 4, 2012, 5:22 PMShares of hospital firms extended their decline over concerns that government spending may dry up. A Citigroup note yesterday pinpointed eight firms heavily reliant on Medicare funding that could be especially vulnerable, and each has dropped sharply over two days: HCA -5.6%, HMA -3.4%, LPNT -4.1%, SUNH -3.9%, UHS -4.8%, THC -8.8%, LNCR -4.4%, AHS -8.4%. | Comment!
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
Dec. 5, 2011, 11:56 AMCredit Suisse calls Friday's selloff in hospital and medical-device companies amid concerns about prepayment audits overdone, and recommends buying the entire space on weakness: Universal Health (UHS +5.1%), Tenet Healthcare (THC +10.8%), St. Jude Medical (STJ +4.2%), Health Management Associates (HMA +7.1%), Community Health (CYH +4%). | Comment!
Oct. 28, 2011, 1:27 PM
UHS vs. ETF Alternatives
Universal Health Services, Inc, through its subsidiaries is engaged in the business of owning and operating, acute care hospitals, behavioral health centers, surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and radiation oncology centers.
Other News & PR