SA News • Fri, Jan. 23
Shipping Complaints Highlight Ulta Salon's Online Sales Strength
- Customers were complaining about shipping delays on Ulta's Facebook page.
- This could indicate higher-than-expected online sales.
- Online sales are a strong point for the beauty products retailer and analysts have pointed this out.
- Continued strength in online sales could result in more analyst upgrades or another earnings beat in the near future.
Ulta's Shares Are On The Rise Following Its Q3 Earnings Beat - Should You Buy Into The Rally?Joey Solitro • Dec. 5, 2014
- Q3 2014 earnings were released on December 4.
- Earnings per share and revenue exceeded analysts' expectations.
- Comparable-store sales increased 9.5%.
- The stock has reacted by moving higher.
- Ulta has moved up about 25% since my bullish recommendation nearly two years ago.
- The company's EPS growth rates have slowed but its forward earnings multiple has barely budged.
- I think the stock is worth around $100, indicating substantial downside risk on multiple contraction.
6 Things To Watch For In Ulta's Third-Quarter Earnings Release
- Exceeded Q2 expectations on September 11.
- Q3 earnings will be released on December 4.
- The current estimates call for double-digit percentage growth in both earnings per share and revenue.
- The stock has risen more than 30% year-to-date.
A Few Reasons Why Ulta Salon Hasn't Run Out Of Fuel YetAnup Singh • Sep. 28, 2014
- Ulta Salon's customer-focused strategies should help it grow at an impressive pace in the future.
- Ulta Salon is on track to expand its store base and e-commerce reach, opening up more opportunities for growth.
- Ulta Salon has got strong fundamentals that investors shouldn't ignore.
Ulta Beauty - Great Results, Great Business, No Beautiful Entry Point
- Ulta Beauty reports very strong numbers, raises its outlook.
- Investors are cheering, sending shares much higher towards $110 per share in after-hours trading.
- Long term appeal remains, yet current levels are not an appealing risk-reward entry point.
- ULTA reported strong Q2 earnings today, with 22% revenue and 35% EPS growth.
- The company continues to execute strongly and increase its profitability.
- The stock still has room to run, but the margin of safety has narrowed considerably.
Will Ulta Exceed Earnings Expectations For The 3rd Consecutive Quarter?
- Ulta exceeded expectations in its March and June earnings reports (2014).
- Third-quarter expectations call for significant growth, but appear attainable.
- The stock has underperformed the overall market year-to-date and is more than 24% below its 52-week high.
Ulta Salon - Solid Results, Yet Steep Valuation Leaves Little Margin Of SafetyThe Value Investor • Jun. 11, 2014
- Ulta Salon beats estimates in a weather-challenged quarter.
- Growth potential remains as the company targets 1,200 US stores.
- The valuation already reflects all the good news, creating no margin of safety.
- ULTA had a very strong Q1, ahead of my expectations with store comps coming in at 8.7%.
- The company reaffirmed revenue and EPS growth targets, which to my mind are still too conservative.
- Store expansion plans are on track, validating my growth thesis.
Robust Report Expected From Ulta Salon After The BellLeigh Drogen • Jun. 10, 2014
- Up until last quarter Ulta had been on fire, posting a minimum year-over-year quarterly gain of 22% on both EPS and revenue over a two-year stretch.
- However, last quarter Ulta's yoy growth cooled off to 9% in EPS and 14% in sales.
- This quarter the Street is expecting about a 14% increase in earnings with revenue growing by 20% compared to FQ1 of last year.
- ULTA is growing its retail presence at a fair clip and investing in its omni-channel strategy.
- Same store comps are healthy and growing in the mid-to-high single digits.
- E-commerce business comprises a meaningful and growing proportion of sales.
- Shares are priced for growth, but the company has been performing well enough to justify its valuation.
- 13% upside at current levels.
Fri, Jan. 23, 10:05 AM
- It's another mini-breakout for Ulta Salon (ULTA +2.4%) as new all-time highs are printed once again.
- Shares of ULTA are now well past the consensus analyst price target and are up 60.5% over the last 52 weeks.
- The retailer is viewed as one of the biggest beneficiaries of the online replenishment trend.
- Previously: Online replenishing trend takes off in beauty and personal care sector (Dec. 17 2014)
- Previously: E-commerce pop at Ulta Salon lifts results (Dec. 05 2014)
Dec. 20, 2014, 10:17 AM
- The S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 3.4% over the last month to outpace the S&P 500 Index as consumer spending trends improve. Analysts have honed in on some categories which show some promise for growth.
- Drugstores: The transition by the sector into more health/wellness services sets it up for new growth channels. CVS Health (NYSE:CVS) reported strong comparable-store sales despite the full tobacco exit, while Rite Aid (NYSE:RAD) is prepping for a roll-out of RediClinics and HealthSpot kiosks. The visibility on Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) is somewhat clouded by the giant Alliance Boots integration, although it's ahead of rivals on the tech front with its rewards program, pharmacy app and developing online doctor concept.
- Athleisure: There's some gender initiatives going on in the athletic apparel sector with Under Armour (NYSE:UA) and Nike (NYSE:NKE) growing their women's business and Lululemon (NASDAQ:LULU) expanding on the men's side. All three companies have been closely on-trend with their assortment in a category with explosive demand. Importantly, pricing has held up this holiday season in the U.S., note retail watchers.
- Online replenishing: Fresh research into shopping trends indicates certain categories see continued buying through the online channel as consumers become attuned to a brand. Retailers positioned well to see more gains from the trend include Williams-Sonoma (NYSE:WSM), Ulta Beauty (NASDAQ:ULTA), Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS), Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP), Sephora (OTCPK:LVMHF), Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS), and of course Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN).
- P-E buyouts: There are plenty of candidates in the retail sector for a leveraged buyout similar to the action that helped propel shares of PetSmart (NASDAQ:PETM) +40% from their lows. Keep an eye on Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF), Aeropostale (NYSE:ARO), and Ann (NYSE:ANN).
Dec. 17, 2014, 12:59 PM
- Online sales of beauty and personal care products are booming, according to a new report from A.T. Kearney.
- A survey by the research firm indicated 47% of all shoppers increased the amount of beauty and personal care products they bought online this year.
- The category is proving to be defined by online "replenishing" shopping after consumers become attuned to a brand.
- The overall e-commerce penetration rate for prestige beauty/personal care is 11% vs 6% for mass products.
- Companies benefiting from the trend include Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Ulta Beauty (NASDAQ:ULTA), and Sephora (OTCPK:LVMHF).
Dec. 11, 2014, 9:30 AM
- Retail sales struck their biggest gain since March on broad strength.
- What's working: Strong growth was seen in auto parts (PBY, ORLY, AZO, AAP, MNRO) with the broad parts category showing year-over-year sale growth of over 8% in November. Sales were up 6.8% Y/Y for health and personal care stores (ULTA, SBH, CVS, WAG, RAD) during the month.
- What's not working: Department stores (DDS, M, SSI, BONT, SHLD, JCP, KSS, JWN) went backwards with sales off 1.1% from a year ago. No surprise, but sales at gas stations (CASY, KR, PTRY) also fell off from a year ago.
- Retail ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, FXD, IYC, FDIS, SCC, UCC, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK.
Dec. 11, 2014, 9:03 AM
Dec. 5, 2014, 9:10 AM
Dec. 5, 2014, 9:03 AM
- Shares of Ulta Salon (NASDAQ:ULTA) trade higher after the company tops FQ3 earnings estimates.
- The retailer improved comparable-store sales by 9.5% during the quarter without sacrificing margin rates.
- SG&A expenses dropped 20 bps to 24.3% of sales in the period.
- E-commerce sales were up 47% Y/Y.
- New products and strength in prestige and mass color cosmetics helped pace the sales gains.
- The early look at FQ4 also looks favorable. Ulta Salon was tapped by some retail analysts as a Black Friday winner.
- ULTA +6.1% premarket.
Dec. 4, 2014, 5:36 PM
Dec. 4, 2014, 4:15 PM
Dec. 3, 2014, 5:35 PM
Nov. 28, 2014, 9:11 AM
- Piper Jaffray identifies a few early winners from the extended Black Friday shopping period.
- The investment firm thinks strong traffic at toy stores and a reigned-in level of promotional activity bodes well for Hasbro (NASDAQ:HAS), Mattel (NASDAQ:MAT), and Jakks Pacific (NASDAQ:JAKK).
- Several shopping deal blogs have noted that early demand for Disney (NYSE:DIS) Frozen princess dolls has exceeded the lofty expectations set for the product.
- Channel checks at U.S. retail outlets by Piper also found strong demand at beauty specialty stores. Ultra Salon (NASDAQ:ULTA) and Coty (NYSE:COTY) are tapped as two Thanksgiving-Black Friday winners.
Nov. 24, 2014, 8:34 AM
Sep. 12, 2014, 12:45 PM
Sep. 12, 2014, 9:30 AM
- Ulta Salon (NASDAQ:ULTA) catches a wave of price target increases after smashing earnings estimates, led by strong e-commerce sales.
- PT boosts: Citi to $130; Baird to $125; Jefferies to $110; Sterne Agee to $125.
- The firm stands a chance of being disruptive as consumers warm up to buying more beauty product online, say analysts.
- Previous: earnings, details, CFO disclosure
- ULTA +17.1% premarket to $114.25.
Sep. 12, 2014, 9:15 AM
- Shares of Ulta Salon (NASDAQ:ULTA) are ripping in early action, but there could be a devil in the details.
- "About half of our earnings outperformance in the quarter was due to the impact that SG&A expenses moved later in the year," disclosed CFO Scott Settersten during the firm's earnings call (transcript).
- ULTA +17.7% premarket
Sep. 12, 2014, 9:12 AM
ULTA vs. ETF Alternatives
Ulta Salon Cosmetics & Fragrances, Inc. is a beauty retailer that provides one-stop shopping for mass and salon products and salon services in United States. Its brands includes Bare Minerals and Urban Decay prestige cosmetics.
Other News & PR