Fri, Sep. 11, 10:34 AM
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH) initiated with Overweight rating and $140 (20% upside) price target by Morgan Stanley.
- Atara Biotherapeutics (ATRA -2.3%) initiated with Buy rating and $80 (74% upside) price target by Canaccord Genuity.
- Zoetis (ZTS +1.3%) upgraded to Outperform from Market Perform with a $53 (18% upside) price target by BMO Capital Markets.
- MannKind (MNKD -2.7%) downgraded to Underweight from Neutral by Piper Jaffray. Price target lowered to $1.50 (59% downside risk) from $4.00.
Thu, Jul. 30, 1:37 PM
- Unsurprisingly, Express Scripts (ESRX -0.6%) takes a dim view of the proposed price of the cholesterol-lowering PCSK9 inhibitor Praluent (alirocumab). Last Friday, co-developers Sanofi (SNY +1.6%) and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (REGN +0.4%) announced that the wholesale acquisition cost (WAC) of the once-every-two-week injection will be $40 per day or $14,600 per year. This is several orders of magnitude above the cost of statins, which average $2 - 3 per day.
- WAC is the average price that wholesalers and distributors pay for the drug. Patients will, of course, pay quite a bit more.
- Pharmacy benefit managers, still feeling the pinch from Gilead's (GILD +1.8%) HCV meds Sovaldi and Harvoni, will likely ratchet up their opposition as Praluent's U.S. launch commences.
- Related tickers: (AET +0.9%)(CTRX)(CNC +0.9%)(CI -0.7%)(HUM)(MRK +0.3%)(OCR +0.4%)(UNH -0.7%)(CVS -0.5%)
Thu, Jul. 16, 11:42 AM
- Screen criteria: Market cap at least $500M; number of mutual fund investors at least equal to prior period; 50-day average turnover at least 400,000; annual sales at least $300M and EPS growth has accelerated the past three quarters.
- (ALKS +1%)(ALR +0.4%)(CERN +0.1%)(DVA +0.1%)(IMS +0.2%)(LLY +1%)(OMI +0.4%)(REGN +1.2%)(UNH -1.6%)(WAT +0.1%)
- This is not a list of buy/sell recommendations but rather a targeted list of stock that may be suitable for more in-depth research.
Thu, Jul. 16, 7:19 AM
- UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH) Q2 results ($M): Total Revenues: 36,263 (+11.3%); Employer & Individual: 11,845 (+10.4%); Medicare & Retire: 12,559 (+6.6%); Community & State: 7,205 (+25.0%); International: 1,464 (-18.3%).
- Premiums: 31,961 (+10.8%); Services: 2,865 (+17.1%); Products: 1,223 (+17.9%); Investment & Other: 214 (-14.4%).
- Medical Costs: 26,026 (+10.6%); Operating Costs: 5,852 (+12.4%); Net Income: 1,585 (+12.6%); EPS: 1.64 (+15.5%); CF Ops: 3,432 (+41.7%).
- Medical care ratio: 81.4%.
- 2015 Guidance: Revenues: ~$154B from ~$143B; EPS: $6.25 - 6.35 from $6.15 - 6.30; CF Ops: $8.4B - 8.6B from $8.2B - 8.4B.
Thu, Jul. 16, 6:02 AM
Wed, Jul. 15, 5:30 PM
Mon, Jun. 29, 3:30 PM
- Becton, Dickinson (BDX +0.3%) upgraded to Buy from undefined with a $167 (18% upside) price target by UBS.
- Community Health Systems (CYH -0.9%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with an $83.90 (33% upside) price target by Mizuho Securities.
- LifePoint Health (LPNT +2.8%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with a $95.71 (11% upside) price target by Mizuho Securities.
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH -1.3%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with a $126 (3% upside) price target by Sterne Agee CRT.
- Tenet Healthcare (THC -1.5%) upgraded to Outperform from Market Perform with a $64 (12% upside) price target by Wells Fargo.
- Cepheid (CPHD -1.7%) raised to Buy from Hold with a $75 (25% upside) price target by Craig-Hallum.
- Merge Healthcare (MRGE -0.1%) upgraded to Buy from Hold with a $5.75 (17% upside) price target by Topeka Capital.
- Alere (ALR -0.2%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with a $60 (15% upside) price target by Goldman Sachs.
- Smith & Nephew (SNN -2.1%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with a 1275p (16% upside) price target by UBS.
- Aerie Pharmaceuticals (AERI -4.3%) upgraded to Buy from Hold with a $40 (135% upside) price target by Canaccord Genuity.
Thu, Jun. 25, 10:26 AM| Thu, Jun. 25, 10:26 AM | 87 Comments
Wed, Jun. 24, 12:40 PM
- Baxter International (BAX +1.6%) initiated with Buy rating and $45 (post Baxalta) price target by Goldman Sachs.
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH -2%) initiated with Outperform rating and $159 (33% upside) price target by RBC Capital.
- Esperion Therapeutics (ESPR +2.1%) initiated with Neutral rating and $86 (4% upside) price target (down from $130) by Credit Suisse.
- Corindus Vascular Robotics (OTCPK:CVRS +0.2%) initiated with Buy rating and $6 (38% upside) price target by Stifel.
- Perrigo (PRGO -0.1%) initiated with Outperform rating and $246 (30% upside) price target by BMO Capital.
- Signal Genetics (SGNL +3.8%) initiated with Buy rating and $2.50 (55% upside) price target by Chardan Capital.
- CASI Pharmaceuticals (CASI +2.8%) initiated with Buy rating and $2.50 (39% upside) price target by HC Wainwright.
- Eagle Pharmaceuticals (EGRX -0.8%) initiated with Outperform rating and $97 (11% upside) price target by RBC Capital.
- BioLineRx (BLRX -0.2%) initiated with Outperform rating and $5 (117% upside) price target by JP Morgan.
- OncoSec Medical (ONCS -2.5%) initiated with Buy rating and $25 (255% upside) price target by HC Wainwright.
- Ignyta (RXDX +1.4%) initiated with Overweight rating and $34 (103% upside) price target by Piper Jaffray.
- Acadia Healthcare (ACHC -1.6%) initiated with Buy rating and $84 (11% upside) price target by Mizuho Securities.
- Pacira Pharmaceuticals (PCRX -6.2%) initiated with Market Perform rating and $86 (23% upside) price target by Leerink Swann.
Mon, Jun. 22, 2:58 AM
- The nation's biggest health insurers, which are pursuing a series of potential megamergers due to changes in the healthcare landscape, have many market overlaps that pose challenges to competition around the country.
- On Saturday, Anthem (NYSE:ANTM) made a third offer to purchase Cigna (NYSE:CI) for $54B (although the bid was rejected), while Aetna (NYSE:AET) made a takeover offer for Humana. Those deals, if completed, would shrink the current top five insurers to a powerful big three, each with revenue on paper of more than $100B.
- UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH), the largest industry player by revenue, has also recently jumped on the bandwagon by making a takeover approach to Aetna.
Tue, Jun. 16, 2:06 AM
- Merger talk in the health-insurance industry is heating up as firms grapple with the challenges and opportunities the federal healthcare overhaul has created.
- UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH) has reportedly approached Aetna (NYSE:AET) about a takeover deal that would likely be valued at more than $40B, after Anthem approached Cigna with a $45B buyout offer that was rebuffed.
- Meanwhile, Aetna and others are considering buying Humana, which is looking at strategic alternatives including a sale.
Wed, Jun. 3, 7:08 AM
Fri, May 29, 2:12 PM
- Humana (HUM +19.6%) surges following a WSJ report that it is exploring a potential sale after receiving indications of takeover interest, and has hired Goldman Sachs to help it explore a potential sale.
- Sources say Aetna (AET +2.2%) and Cigna (CI +5.2%) are among companies that have held preliminary discussions with HUM.
- HUM is one of five health insurers that bankers and analysts have long considered ripe for consolidating the industry, including AET, CI, UnitedHealth (UNH +1%) and Anthem (ANTM +2.6%).
Fri, May 22, 11:14 AM
- Major health insurers in some states are proposing rate increases of as much as 51% for plans sold under the federal health law, according to a WSJ analysis, setting the stage for an intense debate over the law’s impact.
- All the insurers cite high medical costs incurred by people newly enrolled under the Affordable Care Act, saying their proposed rates reflect the revenue they need to pay claims now that they have had time to analyze their experience with the law’s requirement that they offer the same rates to everyone regardless of medical history.
- Some insurers are trying to catch up with the impact of expensive drugs such as Sovaldi, foreseeing significant pent-up demand from the newly enrolled, says a fellow at the Society of Actuaries.
- Relevant tickers: IHF, HNT, UNH, MOH, CNC, UAM, AET, CI, HUM, HCA, WCG, GTS, EMCI, MGLN
Thu, Apr. 16, 7:27 AM
- UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH) Q1 results ($M): Total Business: 35,756 (+12.8%); Total UNH: 32,623 (+11.5%); Optum: 12,815 (+14.7%); Premiums: 31,674 (+12.7%); Services: 2,706 (+12.6%).
- Employer & Individual: 11,423 (+4.3%); Medicare & Retirement: 12,781 (+11.1%); Community & State: 6,905 (+33.5%); International: 1,514 (-6.6%).
- Medical Costs: 25,689 (+10.7%); Operating Costs: 5,949 (+14.5%); Net Income: 1,413 (+28.6%); EPS: 1.46 (+32.7%); CF Ops: 2,269 (+61.2%); Quick Assets: 10,430 (+11.2%).
- UnitedHealthcare added more than 1M people in Q1. Consolidated medical care ratio decreased 140 basis points to 81.1%.
- 2015 Guidance: Revenues: ~$143B from $140.5B - 141.5B; EPS: $6.15 - 6.30 from $6.00 - 6.25; CF Ops: $8.2B - 8.4B from $8.0B - 8.4B.
- Shares up 3% premarket on light volume.
Thu, Apr. 16, 6:02 AM
UNH vs. ETF Alternatives
UnitedHealth Group Inc designs products, provides services and applies technologies that improve access to health and well-being services, simplify the health care experience and make health care more affordable.
Other News & PR