Dec. 26, 2014, 12:48 PM
Dec. 3, 2014, 11:50 AM
- Key data from yesterday's UnitedHealth Group (UNH +0.7%) event:
- 2015 Guidance ($B): Total Revenues: $140.5 - 141.5, UnitedHealthcare: 127.0 - 128.0, Optum: 52.3 - 53.3; Operating Earnings: 10.8 - 11.2; Operating Cost Ratio: 17.0% +/- 30 bps; Net Income: 5.7 - 6.0; After-tax profit: 3.8 - 4.0; CF Ops: 8.0 - 8.4; EPS: $6.00 - 6.25.
- Commercial Care Ratio: 80.0% =/- 50bps; UnitedHealth Group Consolidated Medical Care Ratio: 80.8% +/- 50 bps.
- Total UnitedHealthcare - Medical Enrollment (000s): 45,340 - 46,190 vs. 44,840 in 2014; Medicare Part D Stand-Alone: 5,385 - 5,435 vs. 5,185 in 2014.
Dec. 1, 2014, 4:28 PM
- UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH) holds its annual Investor Conference tomorrow in New York City beginning at 8:00 am ET. Management will discuss the company's performance and 2015 outlook.
- The company affirms its previous 2014 EPS guidance of $5.60 - 5.65. Its 2015 outlook includes EPS of $6.00 - 6.25 on revenues of $140.5B - 141.5B.
- A replay of the conference will be on the company's website through January 2, 2015.
Nov. 12, 2014, 10:22 AM
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH -0.9%) creates an Office of the Chief Executive comprised of CEO Stephen J. Hemsley, Vice-Chairman of UnitedHealth Group Larry C. Renfro, President, UnitedHealth Group David S. Wichmann, EVP, Chief Legal Officer Marianne Short and EVP, Human Capital Ellen Wilson.
- Mr. Renfro will remain CEO of Optum and will assume additional UnitedHealth Group oversight responsibilities for all enterprise strategic relationships, key client relationships and company-wide business growth efforts.
- Optum COO and Optum Rx CEO Dirk McMahon promoted to EVP, Enterprise Operations of UnitedHealth Group reporting to Mr. Wichmann.
- EVP, UnitedHealth Group and CEO, UnitedHealthcare Gail K. Boudreaux leaves her position.
Nov. 7, 2014, 7:17 AM
Oct. 22, 2014, 2:44 PM
- Crude inventories rose 7.1M barrels for the week ended October 17, according to the EIA, vs. expectations for a 2.7M jump. Helping boost inventories were fewer refinery runs - down 113K barrels per day with utilization rates dropping 140 basis points to 86.7%. In the Midwest, utilization rates are the lowest for this point in the year since 2010.
- WTI crude oil last week briefly dropped under $80 per barrel for the first time since the summer of 2012, and it's testing that level again today, -2.9% to $80.36. USO -2.4%
- Gasoline (UGA -2.2%) stockpiles fell 1.3M barrels vs. expectations for a 1M barrel drop, and distillates (UNH -0.8%) rose 1M barrels vs. expectations for a 1.3M barrel decline.
- ETFs: USO, OIL, UCO, SCO, BNO, DTO, DBO, CRUD, USL, UWTI, DNO, DWTI, SZO, OLO, OLEM, TWTI
Oct. 16, 2014, 7:45 AM
- UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH) Q3 results: Total Revenues: $32,759M (+7.0%); Employer & Individual: $10,610M (-5.5%); Medicare & Retirement: $11,477M (+3.9%); Community & State: $6,131M (+33.8%); International: $1,821M (+18.9%).
- Medical Costs: $23,092M (+4.8%); Operating Costs: $5,436M (+11.6%); COGS: $955M (+30.6%); Net Income: $1,602M (+2.0%); EPS: $1.63 (+6.5%); CF Ops: $3,200M (-46.0%).
- Gross Profit: $9,667M (+12.7%); COGS: 70.5% (-2.1%); Gross Margin: 29.5% (+5.3%); Operating Profit: $2,903M (+10.3%); Operating Earnings Yield: 8.9% (+3.1%); Net Earnings Yield: 4.9% (-4.6%).
- Optum: Total Revenues: $11,986M (+21.4%); OptumHealth: $2,849M (+14.2%); OptumInsight: $1,250M (+4.0%); OptumRx: $8,011M (+27.3%).
- 2014 Guidance unchanged.
Oct. 16, 2014, 6:05 AM| Comment!
Oct. 15, 2014, 5:30 PM
Oct. 14, 2014, 3:31 PM
- Global growth, foreign-exchange, oil, and small caps are the subject of every client inquiry, says David Kostin. His team's recommendation: Buy "American exceptionalism."
- In Kostin's view, U.S. economy and corporate fundamentals are still strong, with economic growth expected by Goldman economists to be 3.2% next year, the fastest expansion since 2005. Europe is expected to grow just 1%.
- What his team likes are those stocks of companies which have a high proportion of domestic sales, plus sectors like Consumer Staples (XLP -0.1%) and Discretionary (XLY +0.7%) which stand to benefit from lower oil prices (plunging again today).
- As for small caps (IWM +0.9%), Kostin is wary, noting downward earnings revisions have boosted small cap P/E ratios even as prices have declined.
- The list of S&P 500 names capturing two or more of Kostin's themes: GT, GM, PCLN, AMZN, CMCSA, LOW, DG, TSN, ADM, CVS, AVP, WAG, PXD, HAL, JPM, BAC, SCHW, PNC, MS, C, GNW, LNC, MET, THC, AET, UNH, ESRX, HUM, WLP, BIIB, GILD, DAL, CMI, FLR, CRM, JBL, MA, FB, MU, FSLR, VMC, MON, T.
Sep. 30, 2014, 9:56 AM
Aug. 13, 2014, 9:39 AM
Jul. 29, 2014, 10:18 AM| Comment!
Jul. 25, 2014, 11:05 AM| 2 Comments
Jul. 17, 2014, 7:06 AM
- United Health Group (NYSE:UNH) Q2 results: Total Reveues: $32,574M (+7.1%); Employer & Individual: $10,729M (-3.6%); Medicare & Retirement: $11,785M (+6.6%); Community & State: $5,764M (+28.6%); International: $1,793M (+9.6%).
- Medical Costs: $23,523M (+6.1%); Operating Costs: $5,206M (+7.9%); COGS: $929M (+38.9%); Net Income: $1,408M (-1.9%); EPS: $1.42 (+1.4%); CF Ops: $2,422M (-4.2%); Quick Assets: $8,289 (-17.9%).
- Gross Profit: $9,051M (+9.9%); Gross Margin: 27.8% (+2.6%); Operating Profit: $2,552M (+6.3%); Operating Earnings Yield: 7.8% (-0.8%); Net Earnings Yield: 4.3% (-8.5%).
- Optum: $11,714M (+28.4%); OptumHealth: $2,411M (unch); OptumInsight: $1,243M (+5.2%); OptumRx: $8,000M (41.7%).
- 2014 Guidance: Revenues: ~$130B up from $128B - 129B; EPS: $5.50 - 5.60 up from $5.40 - 5.60
- Press release
Jul. 17, 2014, 6:01 AM| Comment!
UNH vs. ETF Alternatives
UnitedHealth Group Inc designs products, provides services and applies technologies that improve access to health and well-being services, simplify the health care experience and make health care more affordable.
Other News & PR