Mon, Mar. 30, 6:45 AM
- UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH) has agreed to acquire Catamaran (NASDAQ:CTRX) for about $12.8B in cash, planning to merge the pharmacy-benefit manager into its OptumRx unit.
- UnitedHealth will pay $61.50 per share of Catamaran, a 27% premium over Friday’s closing price of $48.32.
- The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter and will be accretive to UnitedHealth's 2016 net earnings by about $0.30 a share.
- UNH +2.7%; CTRX +26.2% premarket
Thu, Mar. 19, 10:34 AM
- According to Bloomberg, major providers of Medicare coverage like Humana (HUM +0.9%), WellCare (WCG +0.6%) and Centene (CNC +1.4%) are high on the acquisition radar of large insurers who have relatively modest exposure to the rapidly growing Obamacare-stoked space. Likely suitors would be Aetna (AET +1.3%) and Anthem (ANTM +0.3%).
- There hasn't been much M&A activity among health insurers due to the uncertainties surrounding the implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Now that its implications are better understood, the number of deals should perk up.
- No bargains are out there, though. S&P's index of health insurers galloped 57% last year. The current valuations for Humana, WellCare and Centene are $26.9B, $4.1B and $8.3B, respectively, all at record levels since at least 2007.
- Anthem CFO Wayne DeVeydt says his firm will continue to make smaller deals although a larger purchase is not out of the question. Other firms declined to comment.
- Leerink Partners analyst Ana Gupte says a likely scenario is consolidation among the five largest health insurers: UnitedHealth Group (UNH +0.8%), Anthem, Aetna, Cigna (CI +0.6%) and Humana.
- Aging baby boomers, born between 1946 and 1964, are driving the increase in Medicare enrollment. Membership is expected to rise to 68.4M in 2023, up more than 25% from this year's 54.4M. Medicaid is projected to add 9.3M people over the same time frame.
Sep. 30, 2014, 9:56 AM
Oct. 29, 2012, 10:19 AMUnitedHealth (UNH)completes the $4.9B purchase of approximately 60% of Amil from controlling shareholders and management after Brazil's ANS regulatory agency approves the transaction without conditions. UnitedHealth expects to make a tender of for the 30% of Amil shares held by public stockholders in Q1 2013. Amil chairman and CEO Edson Bueno will join UnitedHealth's board. (PR) | Comment!
Oct. 9, 2012, 9:45 AMUnitedHealth's (UNH) $4.9B acquisition of Brazilian peer Amil "is a big deal" that will boost UNH's "growth profile for years to come," says SA author Robert Broens. Amil will add $5B in annual revenues and gives the U.S. giant "access to the enormous Brazilian market." Although the stock rose just 0.8% yesterday, Broens expects "shares to take out all time highs in the next year." | Comment!
Oct. 8, 2012, 10:34 AMUnitedHealth's (UNH +1%) purchase of 90% of Brazil's Amil Participacoes is a big step in its international expansion, and analysts appear to like the deal as it expands UNH’s presence to the fast growing Brazilian health insurance market. Brazil is under penetrated in managed care (~25% of market vs. 80% in the U.S.), and its 1,600-plus firms create significant consolidation opportunities. | 1 Comment
Oct. 8, 2012, 7:23 AMUnitedHealth (UNH) confirms it will acquire a 90% stake in Amil Participacoes, Brazil's largest health care company, for ~$4.9B in cash. Amil provides health and dental benefits, hospital and clinical services and advanced care management resources to more than 5M people. The deal is expected to add slightly to UNH's 2013 EPS. (previous) | Comment!
Oct. 5, 2012, 4:07 AMUnitedHealth (UNH) is leading the race to acquire a part or a 100% holding in Brazilian insurer and hospital operator Amil Participacoes, which has a market cap of 9.01B reais ($4.47B), Bloomberg reports. A deal would give UnitedHealth access to an expanding private-insurance market and offer growth opportunities to its Optum unit, a provider of technology and consulting to health systems. | Comment!
Aug. 31, 2011, 2:20 PMUnitedHealth (UNH +0.7%) agrees to acquire a large physician group in California in an indication of how insurance providers and medical care groups are blending. In the past, the firm said acquired providers will not work solely with UNH's own health plans - a goal that may be tested as the purchased doctor group is tied to rival Wellpoint (WLP +1.6%). | Comment!
Jul. 21, 2011, 9:22 AMExpress Scripts (ESRX) is up 9.2% premarket, and Medco (MHS) up 20.7%, following their merger announcement. During their CC, the companies express confidence about the deal meeting with regulatory approval. The fact that UnitedHealth (UNH) will be abandoning Medco in 2013 could help their cause. (PR) | 1 Comment
UNH vs. ETF Alternatives
UnitedHealth Group Inc designs products, provides services and applies technologies that improve access to health and well-being services, simplify the health care experience and make health care more affordable.
Other News & PR