Yesterday, 9:17 AM
- UniPixel (NASDAQ:UNXL) is acquiring all manufacturing assets related to Atmel's (NASDAQ:ATML) XSense touch sensor ops, a rival to UniPixel's InTouch sensor line, and assuming related costs.
- UniPixel is also taking out a 5-year license (with a 10-year renewal option) on Atmel's XSense patent portfolio and other IP. Atmel will "receive minimum royalties during the initial five year term equal to $16.25 million, of which $9.33 million is being prepaid in cash at close."
- The deal comes two months after Atmel took a $26.6M charge on XSense manufacturing assets, and ahead of Atmel's May 6 Q1 report. It also follows numerous delays by UniPixel in ramping InTouch production.
- UniPixel has soared to $8.55 premarket. Atmel is unchanged.
- Update: UniPixel wound up closing down 6.9% following the news.
UNXL vs. ETF Alternatives
Uni-pixel Inc is a pre-production stage company. It develops PEF products for the display, touch screen & flexible electronics market. It rebranded its PEF production process as Copperhead, & touch sensors made with Copperhead process as InTouch sensors.
Other News & PR