Dec. 10, 2013, 8:19 AM
- The shopping lull right after the Black Friday/Cyber Monday period could be even more pronounced this year than usual, according to channel checks.
- Consumers mired in deal fatigue and a blast of wintry weather across a good portion of the U.S. has kept store traffic below expectations.
- It's not good news for a retail sector stuck with inventory it needs to move in the midst of a highly-promotional atmosphere.
- The narrowed window for holiday shopping due to the apparent consumer respite could boost e-commerce activity. Watch the usual suspects: AMZN, EBAY, FDX, UPS.
- Related ETFs: XLP, XLY, VDC, XRT, VCR, RTH, PBJ, RETL, PEJ, IYK, FXG, IYC, SCC, FXD, RHS, UCC, PMR, UGE, RCD, PSL, PSCC, SZK, FDIS, FSTA, PSCD, PEZ
Dec. 8, 2013, 5:15 AM
- Airlines have canceled over 1,000 flights, while freight companies and online retailers have delayed deliveries, due to severe winter weather across the U.S., particularly in the south.
- American Airlines (AAMRQ, LCC) has been especially affected after more than 400 flights from Dallas/Fort Worth, American's largest hub, were scrapped.
- FedEx (FDX) and UPS (UPS) have also felt the impact of the weather, while eBay (EBAY) has warned of shipment delays.
- Meanwhile, ice storms have cut power to over 200,000 homes from Texas to Tennessee.
- More freezing weather is predicted for tomorrow.
- It's likely to take a while for the economic cost of the storm to be calculated. Insurer Aon (AON) reckons that the losses from the tornadoes and thunderstorms that hit the U.S. last month will top $1B. Allstate (ALL) may take a large hit after towns in Illinois, where it is the second-biggest insurer, were among those to feel the full wrath of the storms.
- ETFs: KIE, IAK, KBWP, KBWI
Dec. 3, 2013, 10:00 AM
- UPS (UPS +0.2%) is testing the use of drones to delivery packages, according to The Verge.
- Unlike Amazon's Jeff Bezos who gleefully demonstrated the technology on an appearance on 60 Minutes Sunday night, execs with UPS are keeping a tight lid on details of the program.
- Analysts say UPS could use drones to move packages between airports and distribution centers and still keep the final leg of delivery to customers to its fleet of trucks.
- Related: Delivery 2.0: Self-driving cars and drone armies?
Dec. 2, 2013, 2:43 PM
- Nissan (NSANY) says one of its self-driving Leaf prototypes successfully navigated highways in Japan during a test run.
- Major automakers and the brains at Google X have been dabbling with the autonomous car concept for years, but a mass market entry isn't expected for at least another five years as a long list of tricky issues are addressed.
- What to watch: FedEX (FDX +1.3%) and UPS (UPS +0.1%) are seen by some analysts as the most likely long-term beneficiaries of self-driving technology. In theory, the shipping giants could add enormous efficiencies if the technology progresses and human driving is outsourced to machines. That is of course if they can beat Amazon's drone army to the punch.
Dec. 2, 2013, 10:06 AM
- FedEx (FDX +0.9%) and UPS (UPS +0.1%) are mildly out-performing market indexes after e-commerce sales over the Black Friday weekend look just strong enough to back some of the rosy forecasts on Q4 volume for the shippers.
- Both companies hit hyper-drive this week as Cyber Monday orders are processed.
Nov. 25, 2013, 4:03 PM
- The most popular shorts according to Goldman's Hedge Fund Monitor which analyzes the positions of 783 funds with $1.6T in assets (in reverse order, i.e. the last in this list is the most heavily shorted): SYY, KO, TGT, BMY, SNDK, UPS, SLB, GE, CVX, PFE, CAT, COP, EMC, PG, NFLX, WMT, JNJ, DIS, CRM, VZ, IBM, XOM, T, GILD, INTC.
- A quick scan finds Netflix making both the top 25 list of most heavily shorted and the top 20 list of most concentrated longs. List of 20 longs is here.
Nov. 7, 2013, 5:25 PM| Comment!
Oct. 29, 2013, 7:09 AM
- UPS (UPS) claims a new automated routing system will help the company reduce fuel expenses and other costs.
- The tricked-up algorithm created by a team of 500 tech-savvy UPS employees will help drivers become more efficient on their daily routes.
- Savings of as much as $50M a year can be realized if every UPS driver cuts the length of their route by just a mile a day.
Oct. 25, 2013, 8:08 AM
- UPS (UPS) says it expects to deliver 34M packages globally on its peak delivery day of December 16 - an extremely high level which will test the company's logistical capabilities.
- The compact peak holiday shopping season and the ongoing consumer shift toward online purchases are both factors in the expected delivery surge.
- Previous: UPS earnings.
- UPS +2.1% premarket.
Oct. 25, 2013, 7:55 AM
- UPS (UPS) met analyst estimates and improved from last year's results led by solid package volume growth.
- Daily package volume in the U.S. was 2.3% higher and the company earned 1% more per piece delivered.
- Volume growth in the International segment rose 6.5% with Europe contributing more growth than Asia.
- Full-year EPS guidance of $4.65-$.85 is reiterated by the company.(PR)
- UPS +2.1% premarket with the lack of any Q4 warnings helping to boost investor sentiment.
Oct. 25, 2013, 7:46 AM
Oct. 25, 2013, 12:05 AM
Oct. 24, 2013, 5:30 PM
Oct. 23, 2013, 10:09 AM
- A calendar effect could help boost FedEx (FDX -0.9%) and UPS (UPS -0.4%) this holiday season as Cyber Monday gets pushed all the way back to December 2.
- Retail analysts think a little of bit post-Thanksgiving panic could steer more consumers to online purchases than in years past.
- Earlier, FedEx forecast a double-digit gain in Cyber Monday shipment orders.
- Previous: Who's keeping FedEx busy on Cyber Monday?
Oct. 11, 2013, 3:46 AM
- United Parcel Service (UPS) could enter the busy holiday season without all its labor issues resolved after Teamsters union members in Ohio and Philadelphia rejected regional supplements - also known as riders - to a new contract.
- Still, the supplement for the Central Region, which is the largest, passed, as did four other ballot initiatives. Another nine need to be voted on.
- The main deal itself - the master contract - was authorized in June.
Sep. 25, 2013, 11:07 AM
UPS vs. ETF Alternatives
United Parcel Service Inc (UPS) is a package delivery organization less-than-truckload industry & provider of supply chain management solutions. It operates in three segments; U.S. Domestic Package, International Package and Supply Chain & Freight.
Other News & PR