Fri, May. 1, 1:10 PM
- Telephone & Data Systems (NYSE:TDS) is up 8.2%, making a new 52-week high, after posting Q1 results that beat EPS expectations, though revenue fell short of consensus.
- EPS of $1.33 (from net income of $145.7M), when adjusted, came to break-even vs. expectations of a loss of $0.01. Results were driven by those at U.S. Cellular (NYSE:USM), of which TDS owns 84%.
- Aside from U.S. Cellular's 9K net postpaid customer adds, at the TDS Telecom wireline business, residential connections slipped to 588.4K from a year-ago 593.6K, but residential revenue per connection was up to $42.32 from the prior year's $40.79.
- Commercial wireline connections were 355K, down from 369.8K last year.
- Cable connections grew to 271K from last year's 149.4K.
- Along with U.S. Cellular's raised guidance, TDS raised guidance for 2015 EBITDA to $870M-$1B, from $820M-$950M (vs. an expected $816M), and for operating cash flow to $685M-$815M from $635M-$765M.
- Press release
Fri, May. 1, 12:46 PM
- U.S. Cellular (NYSE:USM) is up 4.1% today in the wake of a Q1 report where it grew revenues more than 4% and beat EPS expectations.
- Net income of $160.1M was up from a prior-year $19.4M, boosted by gains on divesting businesses ($111.5M) and on license sales ($122.9M). EPS of $1.89, when adjusted, came to $0.24 vs. an expected $0.02.
- Net postpaid customer adds were 9K; churn rate was 1.5%, down from Q4's 1.6% and the prior year's 2.3%. ARPU was down to $54.87 from Q4's $56.51, and ARPA was down to $134.94 from Q4's $136.13, but up from a year-ago $132.03.
- It says its 4G LTE network will cover 98% of customers by year's end.
- The company raised full-year guidance on adjusted EBITDA to $580M-$680M from a previous $530M-$630M, vs. consensus expectations of $552M, and guided to higher operating cash flow of $400M-$500M from a previous $350M-$450M.
- Press release
Fri, May. 1, 7:49 AM
Thu, Apr. 30, 5:30 PM
Tue, Mar. 31, 11:03 AM
- U.S. Cellular (NYSE:USM) says a network expansion will bring 4G service to 98% of its customers by year's end.
- The company says it's adding 600 LTE sites this year, expanding service in 10 states: California, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oregon, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia.
- U.S. Cellular is working with 700 MHz spectrum provided by partner King Street Wireless to speed up 4G implementation in its networks.
- Previously: U.S. Cellular up 4.2% on earnings beat, 2015 outlook (Feb. 25 2015)
Wed, Feb. 25, 10:10 AM
- U.S. Cellular (NYSE:USM) is 4.2% higher after posting a narrower loss than expected. Total operating expenses grew 13% against revenue's 12% increase, largely due to a loss on sale of license sales and exchanges. Operating loss was $49.6M.
- The company ended 2014 with 4.3M postpaid customers after net adds of 98K, its second straight quarter of net postpaid adds. Prepaid total was 348K customers after a net loss of 2K.
- ARPU was $56.51 for postpaid customers, $35.33 for prepaid. Churn declined Y/Y: for postpaid customers, to 1.6% from 1.9%, and for prepaid, to 5.9% from 8.3%.
- Capex of $181.7M was up sequentially but down from prior year's $208.1M.
- The company guided to full-year 2015 revenues of $4B-$4.2B, in line with expectations, and adjusted EBITDA of $530M-630M, higher than an expected $473M.
- Press release
Wed, Feb. 25, 7:54 AM| Comment!
Tue, Feb. 24, 5:30 PM
Oct. 31, 2014, 8:06 AM| Comment!
Oct. 30, 2014, 5:30 PM
Aug. 5, 2014, 12:47 PM
Aug. 4, 2014, 5:35 PM
Aug. 1, 2014, 7:59 AM| Comment!
Jul. 31, 2014, 5:30 PM
May. 2, 2014, 8:53 AM
- Along with its Q1 results, TDS announces it's buying Bend, OR telecom/cable service provider BendBroadband for $261M in cash. The deal is expected to close in Q3.
- BendBroadband's network covers 79K homes/businesses, and claims 36K video subs, 41K broadband subs, and 22K voice subs. With 2013 revenue totaling $70M, TDS is paying a little under 4x sales.
- TDS is reiterating its 2014 operating revenue, adjusted income, and capex guidance for its TDS Telecom unit. However, subsidiary U.S. Cellular (USM), which also reported this morning, is cutting its 2014 capex guidance to $640M from $738M.
May. 2, 2014, 8:07 AM| Comment!
USM vs. ETF Alternatives
United States Cellular Corp is a wireless telecommunications service provider. Its ownership interests include consolidated and investment interests in licenses covering portions of 30 states & total population of 50.9 million.
Other News & PR