Wed, May 20, 10:18 AM
- Tobacco supplier Universal (UVV +9%) pops after a strong Q1 report.
- The company increased margins during the quarter on lower volume and despite an oversupplied condition in the sector .
- Universal says it sees shipping instruction weighted toward the back half of the year.
- Previously: Universal reports FQ4 results (May. 19 2015)
Tue, May 19, 4:04 PM
Tue, May 19, 2:04 PM
Tue, Apr. 21, 7:30 PM
- There’s not much value to be found in the stock market by traditional metrics, but the equity strategists at Jefferies think they’ve found five companies that are still bargains.
- The firm cites HollyFrontier (NYSE:HFC), Reliance Steel (NYSE:RS) and Universal (NYSE:UVV) as three value picks whose assets are at least double their liabilities, their long-term debt is less than their working capital, each has enjoyed positive earnings growth the past five years and made consecutive dividend payouts over the past decade, and their P-E ratio is less than 15x over the past 10 years, among other criteria.
- Patterson-UTI Energy (NASDAQ:PTEN) and Tidewater (NYSE:TDW) are seen as more aggressive value picks, meaning their current ratio of assets to liabilities is higher than 1.5x, long-term debt is less than 110% of working capital, and current price-to-book ratio is 1.2x.
- “Investors ought to be mindful that the market is no longer inexpensive,” the Jefferies strategists sum up.
Tue, Feb. 3, 4:13 PM
Tue, Feb. 3, 12:36 PM
Nov. 6, 2014, 4:15 PM
Nov. 6, 2014, 1:01 PM
Aug. 7, 2014, 5:24 PM
Aug. 5, 2014, 6:24 PM
May 20, 2014, 12:22 PM
Apr. 29, 2014, 12:55 PM
- Bankers and lawyers are busy working on potential mergers in the tobacco industry, reports CNBC (video).
- The biggest buzz is over the potential that Reynolds American (RAI +1.4%) will buy Lorillard (LO +3%) for as much as $80 per share.
- Though Wells Fargo notes Reynolds would have to divest some significant menthol brands to get a Lorillard deal past regulators, the firm sees a deal as likely.
- Other tobaccco players: MO, PM, BTI, ITYBY, ITYBF, PHJMF, JAPAF, SFIO, VGR, SWNG, SWMAF, SWMAY, XXII, BTAFF, UVV
Feb. 7, 2014, 11:08 AM
Dec. 18, 2013, 4:45 AM
- The compromise text includes the following key measures to be brought into national law by member states:
- No selling of flavored tobacco (including fruit, menthol, vanilla)
- Combined picture and text health warnings that cover 65% of the front and back of packages of smoking products
- Member states may decide to ban cross-border distance sales of tobacco products
- Tobacco stocks: MO, LO, PM, RAI, XXII, AOI, AHII, BTI, BTAFF, GGNPF, PHJMF, ITYBY, ITYBF, JAPAF, SFIO, SWNG, SWMAF, SWMAY, UVV, VGR
- Source: EU Council
Nov. 5, 2013, 6:23 PM
Nov. 5, 2013, 2:53 PM
- Universal's (UVV +1.2%) board approves a share repurchase authorization of up to $100M. If exercised in full, the buyback would reduce shares outstanding by 8%.
- The company also increases its quarterly dividend for the 43rd consecutive year by 1 cent to $0.51/share (3.8% forward yield based on yesterday's close).
UVV vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR