5d 1m 3m 1y 5y 10y
There are no Transcripts on UVXY.
There are no News articles on UVXY.
UVXY vs. ETF Alternatives
This Ultra ProShares ETF seeks a return that is 2x the return of an index or other benchmark (target) for a single day, as measured from one NAV calculation to the next. Due to the compounding of daily returns, ProShares' returns over periods other than one day will likely differ in amount and possibly direction from the target return for the same period. Investors should monitor their holdings consistent with their strategies, as frequently as daily.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Country: United States
Monday, Mar 33:05 PM
Monday, Mar 33:05 PM| 3 Comments
- U.S. stocks are well off session lows, but gold continues to move ahead, now up 2.3% and at a 4-month high of $1,352 per ounce. At a 5-month high is WTI crude oil, up 2.1% to $1.04.74 per barrel.
- Not showing much movement earlier, money is now flowing out of Europe and into the greenback, which has gained 0.5% against the euro (FXE) and cable (FXB) and 0.4% vs. the Swiss franc (FXF)
- Another beneficiary is volatility, and the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX +5.4%) moves to its highest level in a month.
- Vol ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, ZIV, VXZ, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, VIIX, XVZ, PHDG, VIXH, ACWV, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
- Gold ETFs: GLD, IAU, PHYS, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, GLDI, DGZ, AGOL, DGLD, TBAR, UBG, GLDE, GYEN, GEUR, GGBP
Friday, Jan 315:37 PM
Monday, Jan 275:40 PM
Friday, Jan 245:39 PM
Friday, Jan 2412:56 PM
Friday, Jan 2412:56 PM| 3 Comments
- Call option bets on the VIX this week soared to a record high 8.4M contracts at the CBOE. "A lot are buying in size," says Mike Palmer, who sits at the center of the VIX pit. With volatility so low, speculators "can get a lot of bang for their buck." About 81% of VIX options trading yesterday was in call options.
- After a 7.2% jump Thursday, the VIX is up another 14% today, but - at 15.67 - still well below the 20-year average of 20.50.
- VIX ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, ZIV, VXZ, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, VIIX, XVZ, VIXH, PHDG, ACWV, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
Thursday, Jan 166:36 PM
Thursday, Jan 166:36 PM| 10 Comments
- On January 24th the reverse split will occur, artificially decreasing the number of shares outstanding and increasing the price per share for the ETFs included in the split.
- Every 4 pre-split shares will result in the receipt of 1 post-split share and will be priced at 4 times the price of 1 pre-split share.
- The majority of the effected funds feature short term equity strategies and have underperformed during the recent economic upturn.
- ETFs undergoing a 1-for-4 reverse split on Jan 24th: EWV, EPV, QID, SQQQ, SMDD, SJH, SBB, SIJ, FXP, MZZ, TWM, SDD, SKK, AGQ, UVXY, SPXU,
Tuesday, Dec 242013, 2:31 PM
Thursday, Dec 192013, 11:26 AM
Thursday, Dec 192013, 11:26 AM| 12 Comments
- The PowerShares Senior Loan Portfolio (BKLN) was honored with the William F. Sharpe Award for ETF Product of the Year this morning.
- Since opening in March 2011 and becoming the first floating-rate senior loan ETF, this Invesco (IVZ) fund has amassed over $6.2 billion in assets under management, making it easily the largest player in the space.
- "BKLN was a groundbreaking listing for investors seeking to reduce duration in their bond holdings and has become a flagship ETF in this space" stated Gregory Stoeckle, President and Managing Director of Invesco Senior Secured Management, Inc, in a press release.
- Also receiving honors this morning is the PowerShares S&P 500 Downside Hedged Portfolio (PHDG), which was named the ETF Innovation of the Year, along with its underlying index: the S&P 500 Dynamic VEQTOR Index.
- Other senior loan ETFs: SRLN, SNLN, FTSL
- Other VIX ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, VXZ, ZIV, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, XVZ, VIIX, VIXH, ACWV, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
Monday, Dec 162013, 5:42 PM
Tuesday, Dec 32013, 3:30 PM
Tuesday, Dec 32013, 3:30 PM| Comment!
- Higher again today, the Volatility Index has gained for six straight sessions and is now at a 7-week high. Taper fear makes for a good excuse, but Baird's Bruce Bittles says the stock market - after notching its longest string of weekly advances in nearly a decade - simply needs a break.
- MKM's Jim Strugger says a number of potential negative catalysts lie ahead - notably Fed meetings in mid-December and late January, the January 1 deadline to sign up for Obamacare, and January 15 end of the current government spending authority (don't forget Friday's employment report).
- VXX +3.6%.
- ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, VXZ, ZIV, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, VIIX, XVZ, VIXH, ACWV, PHDG, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
Monday, Nov 42013, 3:47 PM
Monday, Nov 42013, 3:47 PM| 2 Comments
- "If the market was too confident about September tapering six weeks ago, it may be too confident about March tapering now," write the strategists at BAML, suggesting traders position themselves for a big payroll number on Friday - short 10-year Treasurys (TLT), long dollars (UUP), particularly vs. the yen (FXY), and long volatility (VXX).
- "The balance of risks going into Friday is unusually asymmetric," writes the team, noting a weak number will be discounted as a temporary shock from the shutdown, but a strong print will have the market pricing in a December or January taper.
- Treasury ETFs: TBT, TLT, TMV, TBF, EDV, TTT, TMF, ZROZ, TLH, SBND, DLBS, VGLT, UBT, TLO, FSA, LBND, TENZ, TYBS, DLBL.
- Dollar ETFs: UUP, UDN, UUPT, UDNT.
- Yen ETFs: FXY, YCS, JYN, YCL.
- Volatility ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, VXZ, ZIV, VIXM, VQT, XVZ, VIIX, CVOL, VIXH, ACWV, XVIX, PHDG, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ.
Friday, Oct 182013, 5:46 PM
Wednesday, Oct 92013, 5:36 PM
Tuesday, Oct 82013, 4:05 PM
Tuesday, Oct 82013, 4:05 PM| 3 Comments
- Recent buyers of the volatility ETPs are looking smart, with the VXX up 19% in the last 5 days, and the VIIX and VIXY up even more, but that doesn't change the "buyer beware" aspect of these very short-term products, says IndexUniverse analyst Paul Britt. Nice work, he says. Enjoy your profits ... "but this is definitely not the kind of thing you want to leave in your portfolio for a long period of time.”
- Related ETPs: CVOL, VXX, VIIX, VXZ, VIIZ, TVIX, TVIZ, XXV, XIV, ZIV, XVIX, VQT, VIXY, VIXM, XVZ, IVOP, UVXY, SVXY.
Tuesday, Sep 242013, 12:18 PM
Tuesday, Sep 242013, 12:18 PM| Comment!
- "We're not trying to kill the Vix," says NationsShares President Scott Nations, whose firm is set to launch what it says is a better way to measure volatility.
- The underlying security for the Nations Large Cap VolDex is the SPY vs. the far less liquid SPX options for the Vix. VolDex, says Nations, also strips away deep out-of-the-money options whose prices are easily skewed by traders willing buy lottery tickets, no matter the cost.
- It's not the first threat to the cash cow for the CBOE, and the exchange has already criticized the new measure for being too narrowly focused. Nearly 24M Vix futures contracts were traded last year.
- 'I would be shocked if traders decided to start using VolDex in lieu of the Vix,” says Jason Goepfert. “It’s a flawed index ... but it has become institutionalized."Nations VolDex Implied Volatility Indexes.Vix ETFs: CVOL, VXX, VIIX, VXZ, VIIZ, TVIX, TVIZ, XXV, XIV, ZIV, XVIX, VQT, VIXY, VIXM, XVZ, IVOP, UVXY, SVXY.
Wednesday, Sep 182013, 10:43 AM
Wednesday, Sep 182013, 10:43 AM| 4 Comments
- The VIX could be coiled for a major spike the next time equities stumble, says SocGen, noting short interest in VIX futures has doubled since the end of June. "The concentrated short in the VIX futures is like a red point if you look at a map of the market, signaling potential risk,” says strategist Ramon Verastegui. A short squeeze in the VIX could spill over, he says, accelerating any downward action in equities.
- The last time investors were close to being this short VIX futures was in February, just ahead of a 34% spike late in the month amid the sequester debate and Italian politics.
- VIX ETFs: CVOL, VXX, VIIX, VXZ, VIIZ, TVIX, TVIZ, XXV, XIV, ZIV, XVIX, VQT, VIXY, VIXM, XVZ, IVOP, UVXY, SVXY.
Instablogs are blogs which are instantly set up and networked within the Seeking Alpha community. Instablog posts are not selected, edited or screened by Seeking Alpha editors, in contrast to contributors' articles.