Fri, Mar. 6, 10:46 AM
- Global consumer staples stocks are weaker than market averages as concerns on market pricing and F/X sit in the background.
- The 1.21% gain in the U.S. Dollar Index isn't going unnoticed by traders.
- Notable decliners include General Mills (NYSE:GIS) -1.6%, Colgate-Palmolive (NYSE:CL) -2.0%, Unilever (NYSE:UL) -1.9%, General Mills (GIS) -1.8%, Mondelez International (NASDAQ:MDLZ) -1.9%, Post Holdings (NYSE:POST) -1.8%, Hershey (NYSE:HSY) -1.8%, Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO) -1.2%.
- The Consumer Staples ETF (NYSEARCA:XLP) is down 1.2% versus S&P 500 -0.4%.
- Other staples ETFs: VDC, FXG, RHS, FSTA, PSL, PSCC
Jul. 28, 2014, 3:31 PM
- A number of consumer goods companies that sell widely to retail chains are under-performing market indexes today after Dollar Tree announced it will buy out Family Dollar.
- Consolidation in the retail sector could give some leverage to the store chains as their scale broadens, according to Belus Capital Advisors' Brian Sozzi.
- On watch: PepsiCo (PEP -0.7%), Coca-Cola (KO -0.7%), Kraft Foods (KRFT -0.1%), Procter & Gamble (PG -0.4%), Colgate-Palmolive (CL -0.3%), Energizer Holdings (ENR -0.8%), Kimberly-Clark (KMB -0.3%).
- Related ETFs: XLP, VDC, FXG, IYK, RHS, FSTA, UGE, SZK
May 20, 2014, 10:21 AM
- Amazon (AMZN +1.7%) trades higher amid a tough day in retail.
- There's nothing concrete on the table, but some analysts think the company has been stealing some market share from major retailers in Q1 and Q2 as consumers continue to evolve their shopping habits. Staples (SPLS -10%) and Office Depot (ODP -1.5%) come to mind.
- Starbucks (SBUX -1.3%) CEO Howard Schultz seems to have called the retail slide with his perception that a "seismic shift" toward online and mobile is beyond the tipping point (FBN interview, SBUX conference call).
- Related ETFs: XLP, XLY, VDC, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXG, IYK, IYC, FXD, SCC, FDIS, UCC, RHS, PMR, FSTA, RCD, UGE, PSL, PEZ, PSCC, PSCD, SZK
Apr. 7, 2014, 11:58 AM
- Tech's hanging in there thanks to nice moves in Intel, Cisco, and IBM, but the Russell 2000 (IWM -1.6%) is the outlier to the downside again. Today's dip can't be blamed on the biotechs though - the IBB is up 0.3% for the session.
- What's working? Defensive names like P&G (after a dividend boost), Coca-Cola, and Colgate-Palmolive are helping the Consumer Staples SPDR (XLP +0.3%). Also in the green are the utilities (XLU +0.9%).
- Small-cap ETFs: IWM, TZA, TNA, UWM, VB, IJR, SLY, RWJ, URTY, SCHA, TWM, RWM, SRTY, SAA, DWAS, VTWO, VIOO, SDD, SBB, JKJ, RSCO, FYX, XSLV, EWRS, TWOK, SMLV, PXSC
- Staples ETFs: XLP, VDC, FXG, RHS, FSTA, PSL, PSCC
- Utility ETFs: XLU, IDU, VPU, NLR, GRID, JXI, NUCL, DBU, IPU, RYU, UPW, PUI, FUTY, FXU, SDP, PSCU, AXUT, UTLT
Dec. 6, 2013, 10:03 AM
- Consumer staples stocks are getting some run out of a positive read on consumer sentiment and an improvement in the unemployment rate in the U.S. The group is outpacing broader market averages in early action.
- Advancers: Clorox (CLX) +2.2%, Procter & Gamble (PG) +2.0%, Energizer (ENR) +1.9%, Unilever (UL) +1.3%, Colgate-Palmolive (CL) +1.3%, Kimberly Clark (KMB) +1.1%, Avon Products (AVP) +1.0%.
- Related ETFs: XLP, VDC, FXG, RHS, PSL, PSCC, FSTA
Nov. 21, 2013, 8:32 AM
- The stories are different, but the results are the same for the group of retailers reporting results today.
- Though some Q3 profit estimates are being met on the margin, the outlook for Q4 and beyond has been troubling and could bring down sentiment for the entire sector.
- Premarket: SHLD -4.4%, TGT -3.9%, DLTR -5.6%, ANF -3.3%.
- Related ETFs: XRT, PMR, RTH, VDC.
Sep. 30, 2013, 1:29 PM| Comment!
Apr. 24, 2013, 10:48 AMThe rough patch hit by Procter & Gamble in emerging markets isn't giving unnoticed by some of its peers with Kimberly-Clark (KMB -1.2%), Colgate-Palmolive (CL -1.7%), and Clorox (CLX -1.5%) all showing weakness. ETF watch: Is the frothy run of consumer staple ETFs (XLP, FXG, VDC) at risk of running out of steam as sector rotation picks up? | 2 Comments
Feb. 15, 2013, 2:41 PM
VDC vs. ETF Alternatives
Vanguard Consumer Staples ETF seeks to track the performance of a benchmark index that measures the investment return of consumer staples stocks.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Other News & PR